2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Fit won't move!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 AM
2011 Fit won't move!

Hello, I have a 2011 Honda Fit. About 20k miles on it. I went out to the car today to start it up and head to work and it was just cranking and would not start. After about 45 seconds of cranking intermittently I finally got it to start but it was not smooth. I shut off the car and tried to start it again and she started right up. No check engine lights are on.

I then proceeded to back out of the driveway. I put the car in reverse, took off the e-brake and gave it gas. It would not budge. I put the car into forward and it would not move. I put the car in park and gave it gas and the engine would rev and sounded fine. I put the car in N and it would not roll at all. When trying to give it gas when in reverse the best way I can describe it is that my wheels are chocked. When giving it gas in reverse the back end would lift up. I didn’t want to give it too much gas because I didn’t want to harm anything.

I tried to sway the car. I put it in reverse and gave it a little gas then put it in forward quickly and the back wheels would skid on the ground.
I have a tow truck on the way now to take it to the dealer but I wanted to see if anyone had any idea what could be wrong.

It’s just weird that I had a starting problem and a wheel lock up problem. They must be related somehow but I cant see how

Thanks in advance

Jon

Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ive not read much about AT's(or MT's for that matter) having problems so must be an isolated case.
GL!

the AT's been very reliable on my 09 the last 4yrs.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Looks like its just the back left thats locked up. Rest of the wheels spin.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
so you have a fautly drum brake? have that checked out.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
It looks like it. Its on its way to the dealer now. They said that they couldn't look at it until tomorrow morning.

What gets me is if its a faulty drum I wonder why she wouldn't start this morning....hmmm

I guess it turns out to be a good day to clean out the garage

Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
if the car encounters huge temp and humidity change from the last time it was running, the ECU does take a moment to adjust. but that usually happens within 10sec of cranking.

i would check if water got into the intake somehow. unless one had the engine bay pressure washed or something, there's really nothing to worry about though..

Old 11-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
if the car encounters huge temp and humidity change from the last time it was running, the ECU does take a moment to adjust. but that usually happens within 10sec of cranking.

i would check if water got into the intake somehow. unless one had the engine bay pressure washed or something, there's really nothing to worry about though..

Interesting...I did wash my car on Saturday (Didn't drive is since). I didn't pressure wash, just a normal hose and a 5 gallon bucket of water and car wash soap.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhabers
Interesting...I did wash my car on Saturday (Didn't drive is since). I didn't pressure wash, just a normal hose and a 5 gallon bucket of water and car wash soap.

i always drive my car round the block after i wash it and it dries it off before i leave it parked up again

Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM
I just picked up my car, all fixed. The "service advisor" really couldnt explain why it happened. I am a little concerened as to what could have caused it. Do you think it could have been from washing the car? Here are the notes from the ticket and a diagram that they gave me with what part that needed to be loosened

"Foung L/R wheel locked up. Raise rear of car & take tire off outside. Loosed adjustment on L/R wheel. After 3-4 turnes the drum unlocked. Bring car inside & inspect rear brakes & brake cable. Lube emergency brake cable. Possible brake cabe freezing up. All OK at this time. Perform battery test. Battery tested good. Cannot duplicate concern with starting system. Road test. All OK at this time"

Weather this past weekend was in the 70s during the day and I really dont think got to freezing at night.

Any ideas what could have caused this to ease my mind

Here is the diagram they provided
https://i.imgur.com/tRIUI.jpg

Thanks
Jonathan

Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM
It sounds to me like your parking brake "stuck on". You release the lever, but the rear wheels act as if the parking brake is still on. I have had this happen to me on other cars but always in the winter. It gets very cold here. Keep in mind, parking brake only works on the rear wheels.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by david223
It sounds to me like your parking brake "stuck on". You release the lever, but the rear wheels act as if the parking brake is still on. I have had this happen to me on other cars but always in the winter. It gets very cold here. Keep in mind, parking brake only works on the rear wheels.

i thought the same thing but the tow truck driver checked and saw that the parking brake was releasing.

Also just before I took the car out for a ride and pulled into a parking lot and put the parking brake on and then put it into reverse. It would backup (with resistance). It was nowhere like it was this morning. I felt that someting would "snap" if I kept giving it gas this AM. When I had the e-brake on and tried to back up it would move.

edit: to clarify, i think if I kept giving it gas this morning that the back left wheel would have just dragged on the ground. I can't imagine every getting the e-brake that tight.

Really weird!

Jon

Last edited by jhabers; 11-12-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Question

Originally Posted by jhabers
i thought the same thing but the tow truck driver checked and saw that the parking brake was releasing.

Also just before I took the car out for a ride and pulled into a parking lot and put the parking brake on and then put it into reverse. It would backup (with resistance). It was nowhere like it was this morning. I felt that someting would "snap" if I kept giving it gas this AM. When I had the e-brake on and tried to back up it would move.

edit: to clarify, i think if I kept giving it gas this morning that the back left wheel would have just dragged on the ground. I can't imagine every getting the e-brake that tight.

Really weird!

Jon

i had this happen with a neon at my job, car came in with the wheel locked and needed a new tire cause one side was shreaded like a dry peace of cheese lol. we had to replace the cal/what ever the rear pisten thing is called/ and he went on his way. we guessed that it just seezed up while he was driving on the highway but it could have been anything. your guess is as good as ours, these things just happen to faulty parts. with making a million cars a few have to have over looked problems.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
This happened to me last winter. I got stranded the previous spring in deep water during a flash flood. No engine damage, but some water in the floorboards, and apparently in the e-brake cable too. So when winter came and it dropped below 20 degrees or so, my e-brake cable would freeze and stick. Once the cable was replaced, the problem disappeared.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
just thinking outside the box, does the vsa work with the rear brakes too? if so could a bad program or bug cause this? just wondering.