2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Craigslist user trying to scam me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robscar
I posted out 09 Fit m5 w/nav on Craigslist last night. All was good when I went to bed. This morning I got a message from a lady indicating she was interested in the car. So i sent a nice reply. Well this afternoon I get a reply.

well ....thanks for getting back ..Just asking about it to make sure its in good condition. so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? .Am satisfied with your firm/advert price, As am
requesting this transaction should be done via PayPal so the PayPal charges is on me.Payment will be made via PayPal only ..if you don't have an account, its very easy, safe and secured go to www.paypal.com am presently out of town for an official assignment because i work as a marine engineer on sea ..i may not be able to come for the viewing in person but i have a pick up agent that will be coming for the pick up and also kindly get back to me with the PayPal address for me to make the payment asap. Thanks.

Sure sounds like a scam to me.

This is edgy. I recommend that you only deliver the car in person with witnesses who can verify condition at delivery to a buyer agent with cash or certified check that will be handled thru your bank (who can verify the funds and care for the title etc) with a signed bill of sale (which you can email a blank copy to the buyer). That way if you have a balance on a loan your bank will appreciate their invoilvement.
PS if the buyer wants it shipped its their responsibility to ship the vehicle, not yours.
Selling on Craigslist or eBay, is always risky. Their buyer or seller 'protection' is a bit overstated.
And make sure you get the witnesses to verify the check engine light is not on and verified with an BDll checker.
good luck on your selling.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Only deal with local buyers.
When I tried to sell a scooter years ago- it was amazing how many scam offers I got (many from Europe)
Meet in person- They must pay you cash or go to the bank with them and get a cashier's check.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
I got almost the same offer

Originally Posted by robscar
I posted out 09 Fit m5 w/nav on Craigslist last night. All was good when I went to bed. This morning I got a message from a lady indicating she was interested in the car. So i sent a nice reply. Well this afternoon I get a reply.

well ....thanks for getting back ..Just asking about it to make sure its in good condition. so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? .Am satisfied with your firm/advert price, As am
requesting this transaction should be done via PayPal so the PayPal charges is on me.Payment will be made via PayPal only ..if you don't have an account, its very easy, safe and secured go to www.paypal.com am presently out of town for an official assignment because i work as a marine engineer on sea ..i may not be able to come for the viewing in person but i have a pick up agent that will be coming for the pick up and also kindly get back to me with the PayPal address for me to make the payment asap. Thanks.

Sure sounds like a scam to me.

I am trying to sell my BMW 535i 5spd manual and had 4 bogus offers from different people with the first stating almost the same thing. They were all worded very similar. I sent a next back to them saying nice try lol.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
For any large transaction, you should follow the "local customs" as they are tried and true customs for a reason.
Edmunds or KBB and your state DMV should all have articles on what is the proper etiquette for a transaction.

Buying a car via paypal definitely doesn't fit into those customs..

If you want the sure thing, Go with the herd, and anything that sounds fishy is probably fishy.