2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

117hp enough for 5 people?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 PM
117hp enough for 5 people?

Hi guys, after this semester ends I'm looking forward to getting a Nissan Versa hatchback 2014, CVT or a Honda Fit 2013.

I'm currently driving a Tacoma access cab 2005 2.7L 159HP/180TQ Manual.

I'm planning on going to graduate school in this hatchback. I'm not sure if 117hp is enough for 5 people? Has this been tested somewhere?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jinw
I'm not sure if 117hp is enough for 5 people? Has this been tested somewhere?

Haha yeah it's been tested. That's why Honda went ahead and manufactured it with enough room to seat 5.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Haha yeah it's been tested. That's why Honda went ahead and manufactured it with enough room to seat 5.
, would I be able to go highway speed (70-80 mph) with 5 people !

I insist on 5 people because I'm carrying around ~600lbs of luggage to college

Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Interestingly enough Honda does not put the maximum load WEIGHT on the website, so you'll have to check out the door sticker.

The car is legally rated to carry 5 people. Numbers 3-5 may be a little cramped. 4 is better. Sounds like you are using people as a proxy for weight, though.

If you consistently need to haul 600lbs I question why you are looking at small hatchbacks. A Tacoma would be better for that ... but the Fit will do it too, just you won't be getting up to 70mph very fast.

In Idaho, which I imagine is flat, I think you only need about 50hp to maintain 70mph....

Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
you will be fine

Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Interestingly enough Honda does not put the maximum load WEIGHT on the website, so you'll have to check out the door sticker.

The car is legally rated to carry 5 people. Numbers 3-5 may be a little cramped. 4 is better. Sounds like you are using people as a proxy for weight, though.

If you consistently need to haul 600lbs I question why you are looking at small hatchbacks. A Tacoma would be better for that ... but the Fit will do it too, just you won't be getting up to 70mph very fast.

In Idaho, which I imagine is flat, I think you only need about 50hp to maintain 70mph....
I commune quite often and usually take 3 to 4 people with me. I've been told my mileage would decrease drastically as oppose to If I carry the same amount of people with a vehicle with more hp. Cruising at highway speed.

I'm actually driving to my new college, in the south (of north) america urban area, I'll have ~600 lbs of belongings... I just want to be sure I can reach my destination LOL.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 AM
i was just driving with a couple friends, combined weight somewhere between 700-760ish. went to 80 fine in S on a 2012 AT and probably able to pull up to mid 90's without trouble.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, no problem with that amount of weight. I had 6 people in my Fit at one time (don't ask) and it was fine.

My g/f drives a Versa so I am familiar with that car. It is a little quicker to accelerate, but nothing too significant. Aside from styling, the biggest difference is the cost of ownership IMO. Her car goes in for service twice when the MM tells me to go once. Better mileage, more reliable, etc, etc. As a grad student you'll be happy to save that money.

Most of the time you won't be carrying 600 lbs of luggage, so make sure that you take everything into account when buying a car.

Last edited by scott_fit; 01-18-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 AM
just hauled 4 people around today. Granted I have a manual 2013 fit which has shorter gearing then the automatic, but it still drove just fine. Went up to 90mph just fine.

the difference? by myself, I can just accelerate in 5th down the highwya to get to 85-90mph. with the full load, I had to drop to 4th to make it go faster. once at speed, 5th took over just fine. BTW at that speed, rpms are over 4,000 rpm. Honda put the redline at 7000 rpm. and I drove from texas to wisocnsin and back and it was comfortable, the speaker system sounded great once speakers broke in (about 3 weeks regular use gets full sound from speakers)

Ive rented a 2011 versa. I thought it was a good car. Just like the fit, it was easy to drive and surprisingly peppy just like the fit.

I say go on your personal style. the fit is a creative yet mildly aggressive car, while the verse is a bit bland in my opinion.

the fit and versa will both end up with similar aftermarket down the road

Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 AM
On the wknds, I tend to drive my friends around a lot, which can be up to 6 people lol. And I'm rockin a 2008 MT Fit. It picks up just fine, no problems what so ever. Except when I tried running a Camry lol, that didn't go so well in my favor with all the weight I was carrying lol.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
Picture this...
4 grown up people on a trip from Cincinnati, Oh to Greensboro, NC to Virginia Beach, VA to Philadelphia, PA to Foxborough, MA back to Cincinnati in 2 weeks with a Yakima Rocketbox strapped to the roof. It was a sad looking site to see, but it made it through all the mountains and the miles with zero issues. Average MPG was a dismal 25.6 avg through the trip though but not really unexpected with the load.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
, would I be able to go highway speed (70-80 mph) with 5 people !

I insist on 5 people because I'm carrying around ~600lbs of luggage to college
I had the right rear passenger seat folded down and it was equally as packed as the rear AND I carried 3 adults from MA to MD and back. It performed flawlessly and average around 35mpg. Now you decide if it can carry some luggage.

Name:  2011-08-20111849.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  124.9 KB

Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Picture this:

Roommate #1: 220 pounds
Roommate #2: 390 pounds
Me: 255 pounds
Drinks and food (shitload of gatorade, like 45-50 32 oz bottles)

And it accelerated just fine. I know I was over the gross weight by 50 something pounds, but it got going and stopped just fine. If you add 600 pounds to anything, you're going to feel it. Besides, a Fit is alot more fun to drive than a Tacoma, and alot more fuel efficient, easier to park, ect.....

Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, I got what you are asking now. Yes, you will definitely arrive safely at your destination having loaded up the Fit. The car won't break or slide off the road unless you truly overload it (like if you put 600lbs all over the rear axle).

Do check the weight limits though. It's a bit lower than I thought it would be. But to be honest, if it's just general personal belongings, I doubt you will actually have 600lbs in the car if you fill it, unless your belongings are entirely books or something. Search for what people have Fit in their Fit on here and you will get an idea of how capable it is (very).

Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Drove with about 600 lbs from Orange County CA to St. Louis Missouri. I went from essentially sea level to over the Continental Divide. I was averaged 80 mph the 1st day, 90 mph the second day and 70 mph the 3rd day. My mpg was 29, 28 and 38.
It goes just fine... wish it had more power... but I just haul out my Mush-stang if I want to drive douchy... LOL!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I had the right rear passenger seat folded down and it was equally as packed as the rear AND I carried 3 adults from MA to MD and back. It performed flawlessly and average around 35mpg. Now you decide if it can carry some luggage.

I like this picture a lot, looks like my vehicle on my trip and it has risen my confidence. *Save picture*

Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
I've driven with four of my friends from high school in the car. They're all big dudes.

Car had no issue. Lost a bit of its pep, but its not like it had much to begin with.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM
I weigh as much as 2 japanese passengers, now add a couple of my buddies that are my size plus some hunting or fishing gear that we dont keep at the cabin lol

Consider this.. the USDM 1.5 VTEC motor is the largest outfitted motor the Fit comes with. Yet on other continents, it is actually trailer rated while still seating five.

You'll be fine, just load smart.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I weigh as much as 2 japanese passengers, now add a couple of my buddies that are my size plus some hunting or fishing gear that we dont keep at the cabin lol

Consider this.. the USDM 1.5 VTEC motor is the largest outfitted motor the Fit comes with. Yet on other continents, it is actually trailer rated while still seating five.

You'll be fine, just load smart.
Trailer weight it can pull like a small u-haul?

I wouldn't ever do that LOL, but that's true. I'm about 140lbs +/- 5.

I'm feeling pretty confidence thanks to everyone reflecting their experience. My main concern summarize:
-Carrying 5 people, in a pinch but usually have an additional 2 person average:
-Carrying ALL my luggage to college.
-Safely reaching my destination

Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Trailer weight it can pull like a small u-haul?
Absolutely, there's threads on here talking about this very thing. Trailers on small cars is standard practice in Europe, we just think that trailer=truck here in the U.S. because "obviously" you NEED a truck to tow.

Cars seated five when they only had 70hp. You will be fine.

Quick Reply: 117hp enough for 5 people?