2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Sport blown right front shock at 5k?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 PM
2012 Sport blown right front shock at 5k?!

I was installing my Swift springs when I noticed oil puking out of my r/f shock. There were no leaks on the l/f and the shocks were pressurized. The r/f had no pressure. My Fit has only 5000 miles. Anyone else have blown shocks on such a low mileage stock Fit?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
I'll go to the Honda dealership and tell them my story. They will mostly likely not honor any warranty replacement shock as I went ahead and installed the Swift springs. I'll post pics tomorrow when it is daylight. The ride is fantastic with much less body roll and improved cornering. The stiffer spring rate is perfect. Firm and comfortable with no harshness.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
one of the female members here had the same problem but with all stock suspension, and it was one of the rear ones... not sure where the thread is, so i don't think this happens often. unless all of ours leaked and we never realize it.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Vash
one of the female members here had the same problem but with all stock suspension, and it was one of the rear ones... not sure where the thread is, so i don't think this happens often. unless all of ours leaked and we never realize it.
Thanks. Good to know its just an isolated problem. I'll post what the dealer tells me tomorrow with the lowered pics.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
yeah swift springs look to be the best choice! i can't wait to see it. And if they don't replace it, what shocks were you planning on getting? would you use the stock setup? or did you have an aftermarket pair in mind?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM
yeah swift springs look to be the best choice! i can't wait to see it. And if they don't replace it, what shocks were you planning on getting? would you use the stock setup? or did you have an aftermarket pair in mind?
Just started to look so I don't know. I'm fine with the stock damping as long as they won't blow again. Looks like I can get stock replacements for about $130. Be nice if KYB, Bilstein, or Koni made a replacement strut.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Mine did the same thing, but was on the LR.

I did get mine warrantied though, because I waited, got the shock warrantied then installed my swifts.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
My 2011 front passenger side shock went bad at 10k. I could tell by a clunking sound. Dealer replaced the whole strut assembly.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dookoo
Just started to look so I don't know. I'm fine with the stock damping as long as they won't blow again. Looks like I can get stock replacements for about $130. Be nice if KYB, Bilstein, or Koni made a replacement strut.

KYB does make replacement shocks, but they are OEM spec. But they are cheaper then OEM.

KYB

Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM
5 Year Member
the dealer replace mines no problem i even blew one up running over a object and they replace that too

Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wafulz
the dealer replace mines no problem i even blew one up running over a object and they replace that too
I hope mine does the same. I stopped by the dealership this morning and the service manager said he had to talk to the head service manager, who was very helpful. Stock or modded suspension?

Last edited by Dookoo; 02-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
KYB does make replacement shocks, but they are OEM spec. But they are cheaper then OEM.

KYB
Thanks for the link but it specifies for a 2007-2008 Fit. Are the struts the same?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Swift springs + Coca-Cola receiver hitch cover

Name:  Swift.png
Views: 317
Size:  1.22 MB

Lowered Fit 1 1/2" front and 1" rear. Why the Coca-Cola bottle opener? Because I had one laying around the shop.

Last edited by Dookoo; 02-01-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
i was stock

omg love the rear H got pic of the front im ur twin lol

Old 02-01-2013, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies

KYB
They may be less than dealer list, but still expensive. I paid similar prices for Boge OE originals for a BMW 3 series.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM
I hope the dealer takes care of you without a hassle .I also have Swifts and Progress rsb on my 2012 Sport with stock dampers.

I just turned 18K on the clock today with no issues with the stock shocks
but I swear I check them everytime I hit pot holes and these big metal plates.

The roads here in Socal have got to be the worst in the country and I angle and try to avoid the bad roads but it is impossible

some dealers are more mod friendly then others and I hope you have one that will not bring up the Swifts.I know all about the Moss act but it would not be hard for them to say that aftermarket springs caused the failure of the stock shock.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
you guys are making me wanna replace my stock dampening system... i have sorta of a rough ride right now... it feels like my car is lowered but iam at stock!!! is there a way to tell if your shocks are all blown or have leaked all out?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM
you guys are making me wanna replace my stock dampening system... i have sorta of a rough ride right now... it feels like my car is lowered but iam at stock!!! is there a way to tell if your shocks are all blown or have leaked all out?
With the rear shock just look for any signs of oil leakage. With the fronts, an easy preliminary check is to use a flashlight and see if there is any oil seepage near the spring base coming from within the shock boot. Clunking noises are a clue that you have a blown shock.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
I wished Koni made some replacement struts for the Fit. I loved the Koni yellows ive used before on my previous car.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dookoo
I'll go to the Honda dealership and tell them my story. They will mostly likely not honor any warranty replacement shock as I went ahead and installed the Swift springs. I'll post pics tomorrow when it is daylight. The ride is fantastic with much less body roll and improved cornering. The stiffer spring rate is perfect. Firm and comfortable with no harshness.

Its rare but we have seen a shock leak around the piston rod in only a few miles. The cause was probably the same as ours, either bad seal or a jolt offcenter that damaged the seal. You said you couldn't find a leak so where was it leaking?
Honda should replace the shock under unless you have lowered to the level that the suspension has no room to function without ramming the bottom of the shock. Then its your fault. So if the ride height isn't lowered more than an inch and a half and your bushing stops are OK you have a good case.

Last edited by mahout; 02-03-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Sport blown right front shock at 5k?!