2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Armrest Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Armrest Help

First of all, I'm a new Honda Fit owner and glad to be here. The threads I read on these boards (before joining) really helped influence my decision to get a Fit. So thanks very much for all the input, it helped a lot.

Now, onto my query. I have a 2010 Fit, the non sports edition. Lovely vehicle, so far I have zero complaints except one: the lack of a driver's side armrest on the right. I've gotten so used to that armrest from driving my (1992!) Accord for so long and I keep thinking it's still there and nearly tumbling over to my right, etc. I've felt the seat and sadly, there's nothing there to attach an armrest to, so it doesn't seem like it's as simple as getting a fold up armrest used someplace and attaching it. I was really hoping that was gonna be the case, since I think the sport model comes with a fold down armrest (though I may be wrong). But I guess they literally use different driver's seats for the two models, because as I said- there's no place to attach an armrest on my seat.

From browsing these forums, I've seen a couple of posts about having some kinda thing installed between the seats, where the cupholders currently reside. But I think that also requires the place to attach on the seat, which isn't there. And even still, it looks like a cumbersome undertaking, just to get a place to rest my arm.

So my question is this: does anyone know of a way to somehow get an armrest on there that doesn't require a ton of drilling or removal of panels and all that stuff? I'm not too handy about stuff like that, sadly. All I really need is a place for my arm, not any of that hidden compartment jazz or anything like that.

So that's my question and believe me, any thoughts anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and again, thanks for all the great info people have posted on these boards.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by snaithbert
So my question is this: does anyone know of a way to somehow get an armrest on there that doesn't require a ton of drilling or removal of panels and all that stuff? I'm not too handy about stuff like that, sadly. All I really need is a place for my arm, not any of that hidden compartment jazz or anything like that.

So that's my question and believe me, any thoughts anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and again, thanks for all the great info people have posted on these boards.
I think your 2010 isn't all that different from my Base 2012 in which I installed the factory armrest. It really isn't a complicated procedure and the instructions with my purchase were comprehensive and easily followed. Drilled only four holes I think. And the factory armrest doesn't connect to the seat and is quite sturdy, albeit, a little low for me at 6'3".

Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Banned
The Honda accessory center console armrest is extremely well made and strong. It does take a little effort to install, and requires some patience, but is well worth the trouble. But for a simpler, cheaper solution, there is a plastic set-in-place storage armrest available from Zeta Products, Inc. Quality Accessories For Today's Hottest Vehicles., that uses the rear cup holder as the mounting point. The same armrest is also available from various Asian marketers on ebaymotors.com at a similar price. Owners of these armrests seem to be pretty happy with them, and no holes need to be drilled.

One main difference between the OEM Honda and cheaper plastic armrests is, if you are doing aggressive canyon carving and the armrest gets in your way, the Honda one can be flipped up vertically between the front seat backs, and then flipped down again when you need it. But the plastic ones have to be removed and tossed into the back seat.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
I installed the OEM armrest last week and it's what you are looking for. Trust me. Installation is a little bit more involved, but with about 10 bucks invested in a couple of tools (assuming you have a drill) it is not bad at all. One thing about taking out the center console is that it's ridiculously easy. No popping panels. Just three screws basically. I've removed and put mine back in about 8 times for various things. So easy. Not a scratch made.

It's padded, extends, is very sturdy, which is compliant to hold up in a collision. There is no way in hell I'd put one of those ebay jobbers in there without a screw, like some people do by wedging it into the cup holder.

Also, you do not sacrifice as much open storage as I though it would. While the compartment is okay, I like slots, and it still has one built in below the front part, which can fit a cell phone in, pack of cigs, etc. Best money I've spent on the interior, and I've got all the rest of the oem crap in there. Highest quality piece for sure. Weighs like 7 lbs or something.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Interesting, I didn't think I could have a center armrest installed without the attachment to secure it to the seat, which my seat doesn't have. This being the case, maybe I will go for the OEM option, though I think I'd have to have a pro install it. I love the idea of giving it a shot myself but I know my limitations when it comes to this sort of thing.

In any case, thank you kindly everyone for the input, I definitely have a lot to chew on now.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, this is the one people are talking about, right?

Genuine Honda Fit Armrest w/Storage 2009/2013 08U89-TK6-112 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 02-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by snaithbert
Just out of curiosity, this is the one people are talking about, right?

Genuine Honda Fit Armrest w/Storage 2009/2013 08U89-TK6-112 : Amazon.com : Automotive
Yes, that is the OEM armrest from Honda. It bolts to hardware under the plastic of the center console, and attaches mainly to the bracket that holds the parking brake lever to the floor. It does not attach to the driver's seat.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Well first of all, I do love my OEM honda fit center console armrest. But I have a bit of a cautionary tale.

After about 2 years, I found the vinyl on mine started bubbling and peeling. Here's the thread that details my experience.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...st-wicked.html

I ended up having to have the cushioned pad re-upholstered in real leather.

I now love it again.

I would recommend it, in anycase. And admittedly, perhaps mine was simply part of a bad batch and/or the vinyl had a bad reaction to an interior cleaner I used? I don't know.

But just a warning. The pad is NOT leather, it's vinyl and IMO could of been made better. For the price Honda charges for it, IMO it should be at least a thicker vinyl, or ideally leather.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM
I can't seem to find anyone who has done this but I really want to know if its possible: I need to mount an armrest on the passenger seat. I have the sport and love the armrest for the driver's seat. It folds up nicely and gets the job done perfectly. My passengers always comment about not having an armrest. I DO NOT want the center console. It would be $174 and would negate the armrest that is currently on my driver's seat. Plus I don't want a big box in between the two seats.

The best sounding solution I have read was a theory about getting a JDM driver's armrest (made for the right seat in Japan) and mounting it on the US passenger side. Does this sound possible to anybody?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM
oem armrest is the way to go. i am a rookie at best when it comes to car installations. it did take me a while only because i did not have all the right tools. just look at the install a few times and you will be fine.

heres the directions
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...10/armrest.pdf
heres an install video

Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 PM
oem armrest is the way to go. i am a rookie at best when it comes to car installations. it did take me a while only because i did not have all the right tools. just look at the install a few times and you will be fine.

heres the directions
heres an install video

Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mikeyk12
I can't seem to find anyone who has done this but I really want to know if its possible: I need to mount an armrest on the passenger seat. I have the sport and love the armrest for the driver's seat. It folds up nicely and gets the job done perfectly. My passengers always comment about not having an armrest. I DO NOT want the center console. It would be $174 and would negate the armrest that is currently on my driver's seat. Plus I don't want a big box in between the two seats.

The best sounding solution I have read was a theory about getting a JDM driver's armrest (made for the right seat in Japan) and mounting it on the US passenger side. Does this sound possible to anybody?
Wow! Good luck finding a solution to your problem. The passenger seat must have the hole and the mechanism necessary to attach the right hand drive armrest. I am betting that your car does not have those things. But, -------------I could be wrong.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=manny3672;1162888]oem armrest is the way to go. i am a rookie at best when it comes to car installations. it did take me a while only because i did not have all the right tools. just look at the install a few times and you will be fine.

heres the directions
heres an install video
[/

Ya, I'm not a fan of the center armrest. I just want the exact thing that's on the driver seat, but on the passenger side. I think it's pretty lame that Honda didn't include one with the sport. There is plenty of room for both and it keeps everything functional and clean looking.

From all reports, the center armrest is $174 on Amazon and will only last about 2 years. The vinyl covering is supposedly very thin and will look bad in 2 years or less.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mikeyk12
From all reports, the center armrest is $174 on Amazon and will only last about 2 years. The vinyl covering is supposedly very thin and will look bad in 2 years or less.
I would say that even though that WAS my experience with the center armrest, and a few other people reported a similar happening, I can't really say if the results didn't happen because of my perhaps over cleaning it, and/or using an interior cleaning product it reacted badly to.

If I was buying one new today? My recommendation would be to clean it as little as possible and only use as little water as possible, as infrequently as possible when cleaning became unavoidable.

But outside of the actual vinyl covering on the pad itself I love the product. I really can't imagine NOT having it.

2 years into ownership, I had to invest into having the pad re-upholstered, and it was an expense and a pain. But now I have a center console I consider "better" than the available OEM. And despite my personal experience, I'd still recommend it.

With a little foresight, and care you might stretch many more years than 2 out of the pad. And the worst case scenario is that you do eventually need to re-upholster it, inwhich case you can upgrade the material to anything you wish.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by fitchet
I would say that even though that WAS my experience with the center armrest, and a few other people reported a similar happening, I can't really say if the results didn't happen because of my perhaps over cleaning it, and/or using an interior cleaning product it reacted badly to.

If I was buying one new today? My recommendation would be to clean it as little as possible and only use as little water as possible, as infrequently as possible when cleaning became unavoidable.

But outside of the actual vinyl covering on the pad itself I love the product. I really can't imagine NOT having it.

2 years into ownership, I had to invest into having the pad re-upholstered, and it was an expense and a pain. But now I have a center console I consider "better" than the available OEM. And despite my personal experience, I'd still recommend it.

With a little foresight, and care you might stretch many more years than 2 out of the pad. And the worst case scenario is that you do eventually need to re-upholster it, inwhich case you can upgrade the material to anything you wish.
I have had mine in the car for 3-1/2 years, but have NEVER needed to clean it. I looks, and works, like it was brand-new. Please just buy the damned thing, treat it well, and you will be happy many years from now.

If you abuse your shit, your shit will fail, and it will be YOUR fault, not Honda's.

Last edited by Triskelion; 02-15-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
I have had mine in the car for 3-1/2 years, but have NEVER needed to clean it. I looks, and works, like it was brand-new. Please just buy the damned thing, treat it well, and you will be happy many years from now.

If you abuse your shit, your shit will fail, and it will be YOUR fault, not Honda's.
Just for the record, I never abused the center console. "Maybe"...and just maybe, my only fault was trying to take care of it and cleaning it using a cleaner that the rather cheap thin vinyl reacted badly to.

As I said, I love the center console, but the vinyl is thin. Something is NOT designed well if it's so cheap it can't be cleaned or reacts badly to products likely to be used on it.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
The OEM arm rest looks great. I went on Honda Part World their ad says not for manual transmission vehicles http://www.hondapartworld.com/fit-ac..._08U89-TK6-112 . I will order it from Bernardi they deliver items in one day to my house.

Last edited by cjecpa; 03-01-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
The OEM arm rest looks great. I went on Honda Part World their ad says not for manual transmission vehicles Center Armrest a/t only 09-13 Fit . I will order it from Bernardi they deliver items in one day to my house.
I heard it is a liabilty for manual since you shift. I might order one from handa, it should fit yours though.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Instructions page 3 for manual transmission. http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...e_AII45981.pdf

Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by fitchet
Just for the record, I never abused the center console. "Maybe"...and just maybe, my only fault was trying to take care of it and cleaning it using a cleaner that the rather cheap thin vinyl reacted badly to.

As I said, I love the center console, but the vinyl is thin. Something is NOT designed well if it's so cheap it can't be cleaned or reacts badly to products likely to be used on it.
Then you have a talent for picking the wrong cleaners to use on your car and its accessories. A little dish washing detergent and water would not have dissolved the vinyl on your armrest.

Quick Reply: Armrest Help