2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather. Dead battery.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
Did Autozone have the correct battery? Our (original) battery is four years old this month. I can't find anyone around here (including the nearest Honda dealer 60 miles away) that stocks parts for Fits. They always have to order, which leaves me in the lurch even for simple things like filters and wiper blades.

I have a jumper battery in the back—I know our old one will go one of these days.

Cheers.
Autozone does have the correct battery, though I'm not sure how commonly stocked it is... the closest Autozone that had it in stock was 30 mins away. I used the website to buy it for pickup before heading out, to make sure they had it...

NAPA also carries the correct sized battery, but again, you'll have to verify the store has it in stock.

It probably doesn't help that only a couple models use this battery .

Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by MTLian
Hey Dwalbert! Fellow montrealer here. Ditch that puny lawn mower battery and get a Kirkland battery from Costco (I went to marché central). The one you want is battery #11 (which corresponds to the 51r). It costs 70$ and is guaranteed 3 years. bring your old battery because they charge 10$ more that they will refund only after you return the old one. I used my dremel tool to cut through the battery tray and it cut through there like a knife through butter (the plastic is easy to cut).

I got 500 CCAs now (vs 330)! Even on the coldest day, my car starts without too many chugs. I say this mod is a must for anyone in a cold climate. The only problem I have is that the clamp on the positive terminal is too large, so it doesn't actually clamp down on the post. I've ordered a pack of battery post shims so PM me if you do the mod and I might have one left over. My car is a GD, maybe the GE has tighter clamps so you might not have that problem.

P.S. I might be wrong, but I feel that remote starter receivers require a little power to function so they might slightly drain the battery when left over night.
Thank you for the battery tip! I go in tomorrow. I will have them check the battery and alternator. But like I said even if they replace the battery I will get a bigger one.

Originally Posted by kgb4187
You should have the dealer check everything, it'll be interesting to see if the Chinese Fits are lower quality compared to Japanese made ones.
Oh not this debate again..... but after a couple years no recalls or problems.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Its funny that someone mentioned lawnmower battery. The only popular automobile sold in the US with a smaller battery than the FIT is the Miata, which has a trunk mounted battery that is the exact size of a lawn-garden tractor one.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Another cold morning (1 above), another jump start required.

Dwalbert-did you get your battery replaced, or upgrade to a bigger size? I contacted someone who said they'd be able to do it, but it involved replacing the stock air intake, something I'd rather not have to do unless absolutely necessary.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nikita
Its funny that someone mentioned lawnmower battery. The only popular automobile sold in the US with a smaller battery than the FIT is the Miata, which has a trunk mounted battery that is the exact size of a lawn-garden tractor one.
I think our Miata battery is larger than the one in the Fit. I'll have to do a side-by-side.

I have to keep the Miata on a trickle charger, though. Definitely not a winter car.

The Fit is the big car.

Cheers.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by mnpackerfan20
Another cold morning (1 above), another jump start required.

Dwalbert-did you get your battery replaced, or upgrade to a bigger size? I contacted someone who said they'd be able to do it, but it involved replacing the stock air intake, something I'd rather not have to do unless absolutely necessary.
Yes they replaced the battery. No you do not have to move the intake at all. The only mod required is cutting into the tray a bit with a cheap hack saw.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:20 PM
You can extend the battery life slightly by keeping a eye on the water levels on all the cells. The Fujikawa and Yuasa batteries are not really maintenance free batteries, they have serviceable caps under that sticker label that you can remove and fill with distilled water. You will clearly see the water depletes below the lower level with time.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
You can extend the battery life slightly by keeping a eye on the water levels on all the cells. The Fujikawa and Yuasa batteries are not really maintenance free batteries, they have serviceable caps under that sticker label that you can remove and fill with distilled water. You will clearly see the water depletes below the lower level with time.
Good advice

Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Yesterday for example the car was driven a good 2 hours between going to work and back,the groceries and the gym.

I must say that the battery gave us problems earlier in the week. The car starter wouldn't work. When I went outside to use the key to start it all the lights were going click click click click. And the car wouldn't turn over. I needed road side assistance to come give me a boost and it started right away. After we drove it all week without problems. We normally drive the car at least an hour per day.

Maybe the battery was not able to fully recharge in the cold after 5 days of use? I kinda doubt that.

This morning the battery was completely dead. Not clicks or nothing.

As well after the boost I let the car sit and running with all accessories off for at least 45 mins.
Min lasted 2 years. Had it replaced about a month ago, no cost under warranty

Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
I have a GD and my Yuasa battery was well within the low and high markings and the battery status indicator was at "good" and it still was only delivering about 200 CCA on a good day. It finally quit on me and I replaced it with a Costco 51r and its been fantastic ever since, even after the coldest nights.

Interestingly enough, Yuasa has been in the news recently. The Boeing 787 has had a few battery fires that have caused emergency landings and it is the first plane model to be grounded by the FAA since 1979. The batteries were built by Yuasa.

The conclusion is that if you'd better change that battery or else your car might explode or worse, fly away

Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
heh I caught that too. But the 787's were lithium cells.

May we see pics of your 51r install?

Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244

LOL, is the main reason why you cant ship lithium batteries air freight? I recall seeing a sign at the post office they cant ship lithium batteries by Priority Mail or faster,.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
I went back to the dealer this week, they did two tests on the battery. First one it passed, second test failed with their GR8 machine, so they replaced it under warranty. If they hadn't, I would have tried the Costco 51R battery. This is my 3rd battery in under 2 years, hopefully third time is a charm!

Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM
For those of you guys who had the warranty replace the battery, what battery are they being replaced with? The Japanese Yuasa or FD Denko ones or the Honda branded Interstate batteries?

Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244

That's my install in my GD. I suppose it's probably about the same in a GE but I'm not sure. You can actually see the #11 name that Costco gives the 51r size battery.

I put a lead battery post shim on the positive terminal so that the ring would clamp firmly on the terminal. Without it, the ring was so loose that I could just pull it off with no effort; it was basically just sitting on top of the terminal. I also greased up the terminals with permatex brand dielectric grease which did seem to improve conductivity. I recommend investing the 3$ in a tube of permatex. According to the box, it also helps prevent corrosion.

BTW, the brownish colour in the engine bay is not dirt, it's actually a special non-drip rustproofing grease that was applied by a guy in Montreal called Barry. I haven't owned the car long enough to say if it works but he's a real nice guy and is recommended by the Automobile Protection Agency.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
BTW,
Dielectric grease by definition is non-conductive.

Putting something on the terminals is a good idea to reduce corrosion and dielectric grease is acceptable. A better solution is anti-oxidation grease available from, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. in the electrical section for a few $. .

Noalox Anti-Oxidant Compound

Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n9cv
BTW,
Dielectric grease by definition is non-conductive.

Putting something on the terminals is a good idea to reduce corrosion and dielectric grease is acceptable. A better solution is anti-oxidation grease available from, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. in the electrical section for a few $. .

Noalox Anti-Oxidant Compound
You are right. The idiots at the auto store recommended the wrong product. It is insulating rather than conductive. Funny that I had the impression it helped, it must have been a result of better mating between the surfaces.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
if you were at the auto store, i'm surprised they just didn't give you something labelled battery terminal protector.
They have it in spray cans, which you probably could use for 100battery installs, as well as the 1shot packets at checkout aisle.

Even if it turns out to be generic grease, it's idiot proof as the product labelling specifically says Battery terminal protector.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dwalbert320
Well it only got down to - 15c here last night and the battery is completely dead. I checked the lights and other accessories and everything was turned off.

Apart from the cold weather is there any other reason that would cause the battery to drain that way?

Still under warranty so it will go in next week. Hopefully they will give me a new one. If this happens again should I just get another brand? Anybody else having problem with their batteries this winter?

At 5F I quit working too. Yiou didn't say hgow old is the battery. If its more than 3 years its probably dead unless you've got a short., too little fluid, or poor alternator, all of which most aftermmarket parts plac es will check for you.
good luck.
PS Honda has had a run of bad Yuasa batteries so you may just need that one replacing after they do a load test. If they turn you down be sure to double check at a parts store.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the bigger battery is by far the most pragmatic mod that can be done to these cars. I am planning on doing it when mine dies.

Quick Reply: Cold weather. Dead battery.