2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HID kit and other accessories...

Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
I had a set of aftermarket HID's on my Mark viii after the stock DC HID lights (Only used in 96-98 Mark VIII's) burned out. It was horrible. Not only was the light pattern junk for illuminating the road I got pulled over by the Texas DPS on multiple occasions for them. Thankfully I could pull the "they're factory" card by showing the owners manual but I would NEVER put HID's on another car. Ever..

Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by MNfit
These pictures are actualy great examples as to why you DON'T want to put HID's in a halogen headlight. Lest look at the first photo. You see all that light above the cut off? Yea that is BAD, that is glare and that is what is blinding on coming traffic. You want to know what it looks like when you do a proper retrofit? Well take a look at this picture I took back in 09 when I had a retrofit.

Would you look at how clean and crisp that cut off is, it just looks so amazing. Now the second pic above is another great one because you can see just how much glare there is when off to the side of the car. Could you imagine that car being right next to you at night? its headlights would be blinding you when there are next to you! how annoying is that, its very I tell you what.
Ok. I took some better quality pictures to show it's really not all that bad.

Name:  20130303_200828.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  149.8 KB
Name:  20130303_200837.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  112.0 KB

Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
didn't you ask about the fog lights? your fog light housings are so small, you won't be blinding people that low to the ground. I had a 3000k hid fit in my fog housings and i didn't like the color it threw out. it looked almost green, but they were bright as hell. I ended up putting the stock bulbs back in because I liked the golden color better (I have yellow film on my fogs).

Headlights, I ran w an hid kit for a couple months because I literally couldn't see with the stock halogens. I'm not proud of it, but I needed better lighting. I ended up doing my own retro (+1 for theretrofitsource.com). I won't own another car without a proper retro. It's AMAZING the difference it makes. Silverstars aren't bad. I used those on a GTI I had before, good color, improved throw on the light.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
I've had few different cars with p&p hids and they were great...
Tried them on my fit (5000k) and they had the worst glare and light output. Left them on for a month(lazy) switched back to oem and I could see the road again!

Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jnesselroad
didn't you ask about the fog lights? your fog light housings are so small, you won't be blinding people that low to the ground. I had a 3000k hid fit in my fog housings and i didn't like the color it threw out. it looked almost green, but they were bright as hell. I ended up putting the stock bulbs back in because I liked the golden color better (I have yellow film on my fogs).

Headlights, I ran w an hid kit for a couple months because I literally couldn't see with the stock halogens. I'm not proud of it, but I needed better lighting. I ended up doing my own retro (+1 for theretrofitsource.com). I won't own another car without a proper retro. It's AMAZING the difference it makes. Silverstars aren't bad. I used those on a GTI I had before, good color, improved throw on the light.
can you tell me some more like which kit did you go for and how long it took you to finish the job and the total price?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
When I retrofitted the lights on my Integra 9 years ago I sourced everything out on eBay and it was about $400 (Audi A6 projectors, Osram bulbs and ballast). Retrofit Source have really nice TSX projectors I'm planning on putting on the Fit, and they have very nice prices also.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hello_you1
can you tell me some more like which kit did you go for and how long it took you to finish the job and the total price?
I have a write up in the lighting section. Actually, there are quite a few. You can get some good ideas there. It all will depend on your goals. My goal was to do something to set mine apart while being reversible in case anything ever happened. I got the morimoto h1 kit, took me a couple days (mostly because I didn't work straight through and I had detailed painting) and I don't remember cost. I got a bunch of random parts to make it complete (to my standards). Maybe a little over $350? Labor is the expensive part, that's why I did it myself.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by DannyBoy8
I want to add a HID kit...but how does it look with the stock fog lights?...does it look a little goofy?

any good sites for HID kits?
I put HID's on and got rid of them...Lost the high beam when they are on. Exchanged them for fog light HID's work great. Back to Silverstars for the headlights

Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by wetphoto
I put HID's on and got rid of them...Lost the high beam when they are on. Exchanged them for fog light HID's work great. Back to Silverstars for the headlights

Why didnt you consider bi-Xenon setup instead then?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DannyBoy8
Originally Posted by GenzoX
Here's mine.

Nice!!!.........
Like others have said, not nice. The glare is awful for both oncoming drivers and for yourself in areas with little/no ambient light... aka outside of the city (especially if you have light sensitive eyes)

Originally Posted by GenzoX
Yea I see what you're saying.... However. ... I like being that asshole xD plus I can see all the road signs in front of me. I have yet to had a person flash their lights at me. I'd rather have people see me coming.
HID's aren't going to make people see you coming more than any other headlight and they'll be detrimental. HID's reflect more light off of things that shouldn't be illuminated (or illuminated as brightly) such as bushes off to the side, trees above, signs(shouldn't be as bright as they are). While all of this sounds good, it is actually very bad for night vision. the more useless light reflected back at you, the more your pupils constrict... and in turn, the less you actually see.

For Example, Try this:
In the dark, go outside on the porch and shine a light towards the woods, then hold up a few pieces of white paper reflecting back some of the light. (or simply turn on the porch light) In which instances do you actually see more? definitely not the papers in front of you or the porch light on, which is what HIDs illuminating everything around you is essentially doing.

The goal is VISION, not total lumen output and the two are definitely not directly related. You want as much light as possible but only exactly where it should be and NOWHERE else. any light where it shouldn't be negates some of the "well aimed light". This is the Real benefit to Projectors: Focused light.

Morimoto seems to have been a great success for many looking to retrofit and produces a much better cutoff than the above example.

~SB

Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
On the other hand, that foglight cut off line appears low enough that you should be okay without retrofitting the foglights. Provided they're 3000k

Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
Why didnt you consider bi-Xenon setup instead then?
Fact is, getting the HID was simple, and since this is my grocery getter, which I will sell next year, I didn't bother to look into it beyond what I did.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JamesBizzle
+1 on Retrofiring projectors.

Get your quality retrofitting parts here:
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications
Does anyone know why the easy to install retro fit kits are not that expensive? and would these fit on any car because i couldn't find any reference to which cars it will fit

Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bluflu
Does anyone know why the easy to install retro fit kits are not that expensive? and would these fit on any car because i couldn't find any reference to which cars it will fit
Those kits used to be expensive. I think they just want retrofitting to be affordable and easy to do. A buddy of mine got that kit when it first came out and it was around $450ish. All you have to check is for your relay harness because that's how it will connect to your oem headlight harness.