2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Milano Red have a fading problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Question Does Milano Red have a fading problem?

I keep seeing two different colour red Fits - some are a lovely deep red, and others are, well, a bit pink. Then I saw this post:

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Take good care of the paint so it doesn't turn into Milano Pink over time.
Am I just seeing faded red? If so It's probably possible to restore it, no?
I'm currently shopping for a Fit and colour pref for me is Red.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Milano Red is a horrible, horrible color.

Hopefully this pic can convey how pink my Milano red was (albeit on my Integra, but the color is still the same):

Name:  IMG_1491.jpg
Views: 10270
Size:  160.2 KB

Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
I love it but depends on how much your car sits in the sun. I got the uv protectant for the paint and dash from the dealer so we'll see.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Its the honda red..yes you must take good care of it or it will fade in the sun

That's why I'm planning to keep mine waxed and garaged.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shortstop
I love it but depends on how much your car sits in the sun. I got the uv protectant for the paint and dash from the dealer so we'll see.
Wax is a UV protectant you can apply yourself, and there are lots of different UV protectants you can apply to the dash as well.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tardis
I keep seeing two different colour red Fits - some are a lovely deep red, and others are, well, a bit pink. Then I saw this post:

ALL red paint will fade if you do not take care of it! It's not as bad as it used to be... a lot of manufacturers now ad a clearcoat over red finishes, from what I understand.

I got a Blue Sensation Fit, but sometimes wish I had gotten MR... that is when I see a red GE and the finish is immaculately waxed. Milano Red gleams when it's taken care of... one of the best reds I've ever seen on a ride.

If you're not one to keep your ride waxed then I would stay away from red... regardless of brand... red seems to oxidize easier than other paint. If you keep your ride waxed, then you'll be fine with Milano Red. Milano Red isn't going to just fade for no reason, if that's what you're asking.

Again, GREAT Fit color!

My .02 worth!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Montu
Its the honda red..yes you must take good care of it or it will fade in the sun

That's why I'm planning to keep mine waxed and garaged.
Garaged or not... it doesn't matter! If you keep it waxed and as clean as possible it won't fade at all, ever. Red paint doesn't just fade for no reason... or solely because it's parked in the sun.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Milano Red is a horrible, horrible color...

I have a friend with a Milano Red. He's had it for almost 4 years, keeps it parked in the sun most of the day (in central Florida), and it's still the same color it was the day he drove it off of the dealer's lot, brand new.

Hasn't changed because he's anal about the finishes on all three of his rides.

Black can look pretty darned bad too if it's not kept well.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tardis

I had mine in Phoenix for 2 years, and no fading. But then, I waxed it almost every week.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
I use a sealant on my MR every couple months and wax it almost every week.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by annunC8
Garaged or not... it doesn't matter! If you keep it waxed and as clean as possible it won't fade at all, ever. Red paint doesn't just fade for no reason... or solely because it's parked in the sun.

Oh I agree...but if its not always waxed adequately the less sun exposure the better.

Garages are always nicer to cars...

Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Wax is a UV protectant you can apply yourself, and there are lots of different UV protectants you can apply to the dash as well.
Werd. I never add on the dealer crap they try to sell but i have never owned a brand new car and figured i would just do the packged deal (exterior,suede,and dash plastics) protectants for 5 years and i have to come in once a year so they can check it and clean it. Dealer paid for half the cost and i knew how old red hondas are and i didnt wanna regret it down the road. I do however clean my cars weekly and occasionally wax them.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys for all the comments. One question: If I do find a faded one, can the colour be restored?

It could be great move to buy a faded one cheap then spend a few dollars to bring it back to life! I know cutting polish with bring back a shine, but I don't know if fading is skin deep or goes right through the paint?

Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Polishing and waxing can restore a nice reflection, but cannot affect the color of the paint. If somehow you're polishing all the way down to the red color, you'll have eaten through that clear coat .. not really better

A car that's faded evenly can still look nice one you polish it. It'll just be slightly less red than when new. All bright (absorbent) colors fade in the UV light; black and bright blue included. I had a MR del Sol and it was fine after 10 years ... just a little more pink than it was originally.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
The reason Milano Red is prone to fade is because it's not two-stage paint. The lack of a clear coat is the reason this color oxidizes so badly without wax or protectant.