2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel weights on sport rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
wheel weights on sport rims

I’m having new tires installed on my ‘09 Sport on Monday. When they installed the previous set I believe that they used the traditional clip-on weights, added to the inside edge of the rims, to balance the wheels. But I can see through the spokes square weights that look to be pasted onto the inside surface of the rims. Are these square weights there to balance the rim, or were they installed at the factory to balance the whole wheel (i.e., rim plus tire)? If the latter, should I ask that they be removed before balancing the wheels when the new tires are installed on Monday? Thanks.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
I’m having new tires installed on my ‘09 Sport on Monday. When they installed the previous set I believe that they used the traditional clip-on weights, added to the inside edge of the rims, to balance the wheels. But I can see through the spokes square weights that look to be pasted onto the inside surface of the rims. Are these square weights there to balance the rim, or were they installed at the factory to balance the whole wheel (i.e., rim plus tire)? If the latter, should I ask that they be removed before balancing the wheels when the new tires are installed on Monday? Thanks.
my advice to you... forget about it.

think about this... are you a tire technician? Are you the one working the balancing machine? What makes you think telling them ANYTHING like this, is a good idea?

I mean, REALLY THINK ABOUT IT LONG AND HARD. Because if you don't realize you are attempting to tell them how to do THEIR JOB, you will deserve any and all rude behavior they throw at you.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
my advice to you... forget about it.

think about this... are you a tire technician? Are you the one working the balancing machine? What makes you think telling them ANYTHING like this, is a good idea?

I mean, REALLY THINK ABOUT IT LONG AND HARD. Because if you don't realize you are attempting to tell them how to do THEIR JOB, you will deserve any and all rude behavior they throw at you.

A good point of psychology. I recall installing and balancing tires and wheels one winter back when I was in school and I’d certainly not have appreciated a customer breathing down my neck and telling me what to do.

That said, back then I never encountered weights (or rims, for that matter) like the ones on our Fit Sports. So, out of curiosity, are they there to balance the rim, or the wheel? Are they hard to remove? Are they hard to install?

Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
They should have removed the stuck on weights before balancing. They also should have used the stick on weights to balance the aluminum rims.

Are you sure that they used clip-ons?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kapeesh
They should have removed the stuck on weights before balancing. They also should have used the stick on weights to balance the aluminum rims.

Are you sure that they used clip-ons?
I'm about 90% certain that they used clip-ons. It was at a discount place, and can't imagine that they'd take the time to clean surfaces in preparation for the new stuck-on weights. Also, I think I saw them doing the same sort of tapping to install clip-ons that I used to do when I was installing tires on steel rims. But it was way across the (large) shop and hard to say for certain.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like they were just being lazy. Typically they'd scrape off the old stick-ons and clean the residue with some brake cleaner. The balancing that they did with the clip-on weights has now factored in the old stick-on weights, so you're stuck with both until your next balance.

When having the new tires put on, request that they remove all of the old weights (clip-ons and stick-ons) before balancing. You are the customer and have every right to request this. You're not telling them how to do their job, your telling them how to treat your wheels.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kapeesh
Sounds like they were just being lazy. Typically they'd scrape off the old stick-ons and clean the residue with some brake cleaner. The balancing that they did with the clip-on weights has now factored in the old stick-on weights, so you're stuck with both until your next balance.

When having the new tires put on, request that they remove all of the old weights (clip-ons and stick-ons) before balancing. You are the customer and have every right to request this. You're not telling them how to do their job, your telling them how to treat your wheels.

Good luck!
Somewhat right, but I have a very slight nuance and clarification.

The underlying principles of tire balancing are
1) there should only be 2 "weights" (or sections of weights)placed to take care of static/dynamic balance,
2) the amount of weight should be minimal.

None of this is a strict requirement they should take the old weights off first.
If a tech runs the balance first with the old weights on, if by chance it zeros out with the same old weights, then the tire tech got super lucky and saved time.

If you really do see 3 sections of weights, then yes, it's incorrectly balanced.
The last thing is are you sure the clip is really a weight?
You can say the tech was lazy, or you can give them the benefit of the doubt and that it wasn't intentional and he missed seeing the clip-on weight; which aren't typically used on alloys. The hearsay about tapping is just that too, that could've been for another car that did have steel rims.

In any event, it sounds you have a concern, go back to the store, and tell them you see 3 balancing weights on your tire which is wrong, they will verify and fix it for you. Give them a chance to fix it. If you have a requirement to use stick-on weights only (this is not something fancy, it is standard practice in a wheel shop) then say use stick-on weights only.

My advice is don't tell them they should take the weights off before balance, cause that begins to starts crossing the line to becoming a snooty customer rubbing in a mistake and telling them how to do their job. Nobody appreciates that. You could've also gotten the dunce of the technicians last time.

If you're getting a messed up tire install job, I would also ask why you are going back to the same place.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-23-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
When I had my new tires mounted and balanced, they removed the stick on square weights from the inside, and instead used more traditional (at least in my opinion) clip on weight. If anything, I like the clip on weights more because I can't see them. I had to go back over where the old weights sat because the tech didn't clean them up well enough, but I was satisfied overall.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful.

I’m definitely not going back to the place that installed the last set, as they not only left the old weights on, but also broke a TPMS sensor (which they replaced free of charge, but not before making me return several times while they figured out how to reprogram for the replacement sensor).

Instead I’ll try a new place, and mention when I drop the car off that the previous installers neglected to remove the old weights. That way the criticism is directed at someone else, and they’ll know that I care about such things. Many, I suspect, never even notice. New clip-ons are fine with me, as long as all of the old weights are removed.

I’d just ignore the whole issue, but it is unsprung, rotating weight, and so the most important kind. Still, whether or not it makes a noticeable difference is a valid question. It's probably more of a George Costanza thing than anything else.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
I hate the clip on weights, they always end up scratching the wheel surface. The stick on weights are way easier to deal with. I mount and balance tires all the time, and i prefer the original painted lead weights, in cali they banned the use of lead wheel weights which sucks because the new zinc weights are way larger per 0.25oz square then the lead equal.