2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulsar Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Pulsar Spark Plugs

I went in to get new plugs, and O'Reilly Auto didn't have NGK's in stock (sold out) but the guy behind the counter told me he just put Pulsar plugs in his Honda Element and was very happy with them.

They were $1 less than the NGK's so I went ahead and went with them. I'll post my opinion once I get the rough idle thing figured out, but thought I would ask if anyone else has used them and what you thought about them?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TripleThreat
I went in to get new plugs, and O'Reilly Auto didn't have NGK's in stock (sold out) but the guy behind the counter told me he just put Pulsar plugs in his Honda Element and was very happy with them.

They were $1 less than the NGK's so I went ahead and went with them. I'll post my opinion once I get the rough idle thing figured out, but thought I would ask if anyone else has used them and what you thought about them?
I think that you meant "Pulstar" plugs with the capacitor in the plug to boost voltage to increase the spark. I used them on my GD3 and they worked with no problems, but also with no MPG increase, and no other value to be seen.

If you have a GE Fit, you should use the forums search function to find the threads on this plug dating back to 2007. There were reports of plug failures due to the negative effect of heat on the internal capacitor. With the possibility in mind of having a possible plug failure on the road, in my GD3 I carried a set of conventional plugs and the tools for changing the plugs if that were ever needed. But plug changes on GD's are much easier and faster than on a GE.

You ought to do an Internet search for more info, like other Pulstar failure reports, over the last six years. That is, unless you would enjoy pulling off the cowl panels and reaching over a hot engine for a plug change on the side of a freeeway somewhere. Not saying that this would happen to you, but it could considering the plug's design. Good luck.

Last edited by Triskelion; 03-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm reading internet murmurs about these plugs retarding timing slightly in modern ignition systems because of the added time it takes for the capacitors to produce the full spark.

Was on M5 forum and some Vette forums, idk. Would think this would happen with iVTEC as well? May not make much of a difference ultimately in our cars.

In for more info.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the feedback! I will consider this on whether i keep them in or not.