2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil Life Reset...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Oil Life Reset...

I took my 2010 Fit in to the dealer to get a spare key made. The previous owner (only one) could not find her's to turn it in. Not a big deal, right? Well, I noticed that at the time when I brought the Fit in, Oil Life reported 50%. When the key was made, and everything was done, I then noticed the Oil Life was at 100%. So now I'm a little leary on whether to trust the indicator or not. I've tried to reach out to my salesman on it and he's not getting back to me, and I also spoke to someone at service on it. He said that making a spare key should not reset that indicator and it has to be manually reset. When I asked how reliable the indicator was, he replied "pretty reliable" which was not the canned response I was looking for. Anyone else experience this or know how trust worthy the Oil Life indicator is?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member

Old 04-10-2013, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
It calculates oil life by using a formula based on load, speed, rpm and everything else. It doesn't actually measure the oil (this is true for most OLMs, that said, some BMWs and other high end cars have built in viscocity sensors). This means, that now that it has been reset (which it should not have been, reseting it is not easy to do accidently!) You will have to either change the oil so it matches or do a best guess change (with 50% left, I would say you were 4k from a change or so, since 15% seems to show up sometime between 7k and 12k based on driving style and conditions).

Now the real question is, does the MM folow a set pattern for the codes, or does it do the other things (non oil stuff) based on the milage? That I don't know.

And oh, the service guy was right, it is fairly reliable. I have had no problems with mine, but it waits to long for tire rotations, so I do those at 6 to 8k.

Also, if you just bought this car, I would change all the fluids and filter and such. Since you likely don't know exactly when they were done last. I do this by defualt with any used car.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Also, if you just bought this car, I would change all the fluids and filter and such. Since you likely don't know exactly when they were done last. I do this by default with any used car.
X2.

Better to just change the oil now and reset back to zero for peace of mind.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by x_25
It calculates oil life by using a formula based on load, speed, rpm and everything else. It doesn't actually measure the oil (this is true for most OLMs, that said, some BMWs and other high end cars have built in viscocity sensors). This means, that now that it has been reset (which it should not have been, reseting it is not easy to do accidently!) You will have to either change the oil so it matches or do a best guess change (with 50% left, I would say you were 4k from a change or so, since 15% seems to show up sometime between 7k and 12k based on driving style and conditions).

Now the real question is, does the MM folow a set pattern for the codes, or does it do the other things (non oil stuff) based on the milage? That I don't know.

And oh, the service guy was right, it is fairly reliable. I have had no problems with mine, but it waits to long for tire rotations, so I do those at 6 to 8k.

Also, if you just bought this car, I would change all the fluids and filter and such. Since you likely don't know exactly when they were done last. I do this by defualt with any used car.
x3

According to Honda documentation it also monitors transmission fluid life using a similar algorithm. But that results in ATF drain/refills after 100K. There are a lot of opinions on when this is advisable. I tend to side with the 30K interval group, but mine had an older grade fluid that I rationalized I wanted to upgrade to the current Honda ATF fluid. I have seen no accounts of transmission failures in high mileage Fits so I don't think there is a valid reason to change more frequently than the MM suggests.

Dunno about spark plugs. I think it calls for them around 100K. Coolant is sometime after that.

I think the MM is cunning, especially for those that know nothing about cars, but even if you do.

The only problem is for those people that don't trust it and follow their service salesman's advice. And the problem is to their bank account. If you do your own maintenance and choose more frequent maintenance than called for, no harm. It's cheap therapy if nothing else.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Encyes
I took my 2010 Fit in to the dealer to get a spare key made. The previous owner (only one) could not find her's to turn it in. Not a big deal, right? Well, I noticed that at the time when I brought the Fit in, Oil Life reported 50%. When the key was made, and everything was done, I then noticed the Oil Life was at 100%. So now I'm a little leary on whether to trust the indicator or not. I've tried to reach out to my salesman on it and he's not getting back to me, and I also spoke to someone at service on it. He said that making a spare key should not reset that indicator and it has to be manually reset. When I asked how reliable the indicator was, he replied "pretty reliable" which was not the canned response I was looking for. Anyone else experience this or know how trust worthy the Oil Life indicator is?
If the dealer did an oil change for you and reset the indicator, then 100% would be correct. I would check the color of the oil when you pull up the dip-stick. If it appears light brown, then they did an oil change. If the oil appears black, then they must have reset the indicator by accident; which means your oil is 50%, but indicator is 100%.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Encyes
Anyone else experience this or know how trust worthy the Oil Life indicator is?
Here's an older thread that answers your concerns: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ce-so-far.html

Take the time to look around the DIY section for answers to other concerns you might have.