2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new flywheel and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
Where did you come up with this crap? I never said a flywheel isn't necessary to keep from throwing codes let's see your source for that BS like you would say.

And I said a too light flywheel in response to your question.

NEXT
um, you...

One sensor or another was not hooked up or hooked up incorrectly. If it was running good when you brought it in it should still be running good if everything was done correctly.

Simply changing the flywheel will NOT effect any of the sensors or the ECM.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Banned
And so..... nothing there about not having a flywheel.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
LoudBang's best of thread posts:

Reader's Digest version:

Ok put on my professor's hat for a minute. Lets think about this logically for a minute.

Changing the clutch and flywheel (if done correctly) is exactly like changing your lugnuts it SHOULD have no effect on how the engine runs (except revving and slowing down quicker) there is no connection to anything else.
Originally Posted by mahout
The harmonic imbalance is due to the uneven impulses from the two cylinders that fire each revolution that aren't counteracted by the flywheel because its too light. Add 4 lb to the periphery of your 7 lb flywheel and see if it goes away.
Ah no .... those pulses cancel out each other. A Fit or any other engine that is internally balanced will run with no flywheel (if you could pull start it LOL) or front pully.
Everybody is forgetting about all those automatic transmission Fits that run just fine with a flimsy flex plate and no flywheel at all.

And ignoring all the member cars that have a lightened flywheel installed and have been running them for carefree miles and miles.
Originally Posted by Steve244
The "torque converter assembly" provides the same function as a flywheel. Both for engaging the starter motor and providing rotational mass. The diagram at the link shows both the manual clutch and the torque converter.
Originally Posted by mahout
And for those to want to say automatic transmissions have no flywheel I'll forgo the explanation why thats not correct by quoting FIT SHOP MANUAL pg 14-33 third sentence under Toirque Converter, Shafts, and Clutches:
"The entire torque converter assembly serves as a flywheel while transmitting power to the transmission mainshaft"
Ignition timing is controlled by the camshaft position sensor. This is an electronic pick-up that sends a signal to the ECU corresponding to the camshaft position for the purpose of ignition timing. There is no "erratic" signal any more than there would be with a mechanical distributor unless your timing chain gears have stripped their keys.

The crankshaft position sensor was introduced with OBDII in order to sense "misfires." These are a function of the time it takes the crankshaft to turn. Small differences in partial rotation times are counted and stored. If these "erratic" counts exceed some threshold a misfire code is signalled. There may or may not be a misfire associated. If an actual misfire occurs, the rotation speed of the crankshaft is less for that part of the rotation.

The flywheel helps maintain a steady crank speed. Lessening its mass will result in more frequent differences in rotation resulting in flagging a misfire whether one has actually occurred or not.
Boy you are on a roll today spreading false and misleading information.

Pray tell please point out the camshaft position sensor on the Fit???????????

And it's really really the crankshaft position sensor that indicates when it is time to initiate the firing sequence.
item 3 in the illustration: TDC pulser. phhhtdtp
Like you the link doesn't work.
Twist, turn, obfuscate, all so you can "prove" your point, Loud?

And the conclusion is: too light a flywheel may cause misfire codes, exactly the response that was given on the first page before you went off on a flywheels can't cause this and besides Fits don't have one or need one binge...

Where did you come up with this crap? I never said a flywheel isn't necessary to keep from throwing codes let's see your source for that BS like you would say.

And I said a too light flywheel in response to your question.

NEXT
Thanks for playing

Old 07-06-2013, 04:52 AM
Banned
AH no you have not shown ANYTHING that says a light flywheel will cause codes. Nice try though.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
The Other Side of the Coin

AH no you have not shown ANYTHING that says a light flywheel will cause codes. Nice try though.
Originally Posted by lilbeast
09 sport with k&n intake, axle back hks exhaust, little else. installed new clutch masters fx200 flywheel and clutch recently. check engine and limp mode with light load at cruising (65-70+mph). miss fire in all four cylinders. checked and adjusted valves and installed new (oem) plugs. no help. anyone?
Originally Posted by takamax
lilbeast>I just installed aluminum lightweight flywheel. I'm having same problem as you....but only difference is mine misfires on 1,2,3. Not 4
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
The GE is known to have issues with a lightened flywheel. This is the reason why when I was about to purchase the one from JUN, they said they pulled it out of production because of the same issues causing CEL. The GE and GD really are different animals.
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I think this is the heart of the problem and the L15A7 is too smart for it's own good.

All the people I've found in links, etc that are running light flywheels have GDs...
Originally Posted by FitStir
Good questions....

afaik, most people who installed a lighter flywheel were the GD owners.... this might be one of the few (only?) GE owners who did also... gonna check 555's thread.
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Who with a GE is running an aftermarket flywheel and not triggering any codes? Serious question.
Originally Posted by malraux
I'm just going to say "moment of inertia" and then let myself out.
I'm a bit torn on the definition of "internet troll." When does one become one? Is it possible by feeding one that you yourself become a troll?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Banned
Just look in the mirror LOL.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to know my posts are effective. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 AM
Banned
Your mirror thanks.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
I hate to resurrect this thread, but saw something that might be useful to some members.

Originally Posted by lilbeast
hondata tells me there is a harmonic vibration at that rpm that sends a false misfire signal to the computer shutting the engine down. kinda learned to drive around it, engine just needs a slight load or no throttle at all. drove from Pittsburgh to mid ohio last wkend and only set it off once. hondata says there is NO damage being caused to the engine. the reflash for the 06-08 fits will not work on 09 and up fits. petition hondata to offer a reflash. they have one for the crz, odd.

The same issue was happening on a CRZ whose owner installed a lighter flywheel (it was causing a "false misfire", Hondata just added a misfire code disable feature... unfortunately since the OP has a GE8 it won't help him much, but for the GD3 Flashpro owners who are having a similar problem with a lighter flywheel check if Hondata updated that feature as they have on the CRZ Flashpro.

Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums - View Single Post - ITEM9's Build Thread: Rotrex Supercharged PWP EX 6MT
Originally Posted by ITEM9
Thank you Hondata!
I can finally put this false misfire situation behind me now... Miami-Homestead on 2/8/2014!
It turns out that the lighter weight of my HKS LA Clutch was the culprit of this misfire. In addition to the knock sensor, the CKP (Crankshaft Position) sensor can also detect misfires. It is accurate enough to read each impulse of each combustion event and it compares this information with a learned pattern to detect anomalies in the engine's operation. Apparently, a lightweight flywheel can change the engine harmonics enough to cause the ECU to think there is a misfire, when there actually is not... There is a CKP pattern clear and learn procedure that you can do with the HDS, which had I tried one time before and it did not work. The Honda tech that I was working with was pretty mediocre though and I wasn't sure if he did it right... Recently, I bought a knock-off HDS module (GNA600) and tired clearing the pattern WITHOUT doing a pattern learn. So far the car runs fine without it... No misfires yet, but they were so random and intermittent before, it's still kind of too early to tell. I'm going to test it further to see if that is another option to solve the false misfires...
For months I thought it was a real misfire... I tried pretty much everything you could think of to get it to stop misfiring without waiting for the Hondata update. Searching for vacuum leaks and changing plugs... It took two times on the dyno to figure out it wasn't a real misfire. We even dropped the transmission again to make sure the clutch was balanced... My heart was literally aching during this whole process... Happy to have this behind me now...

Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by ITEM9
There is a CKP pattern clear and learn procedure that you can do with the HDS, which had I tried one time before and it did not work. The Honda tech that I was working with was pretty mediocre though and I wasn't sure if he did it right... Recently, I bought a knock-off HDS module (GNA600) and tired clearing the pattern WITHOUT doing a pattern learn. So far the car runs fine without it... No misfires yet, but they were so random and intermittent before, it's still kind of too early to tell. I'm going to test it further to see if that is another option to solve the false misfires...
If it is possible with HDS for the ECU to relearn the firing pattern and harmonics there's the answer. I would assume the HDS would have similar capabilities with the Fit but who knows. $500 for that GNA600 isn't bad i'll probably put it on my wish list regardless.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if that GNA600 would help you mess around with VSS.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:07 PM
From looking around on the net there's not a ton of info on the HDS. I saw some cool stuff you can do with the HIM HDS on Acurazine which translates to the copies as well. I didn't see anything regarding the limiter (most were running tuning software anyway so able to disable it there). Either way it'd be cool to program TPMS, keys, and all that stuff BESIDES all the diagnostic info.

It seems you would definitely be able to relearn the Crank Position Sensor with the tool, I would think it would stick as long as the harmonics from the flywheel were consistent and repeating, I don't see why they wouldn't be but someone correct me if this is wrong.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
If it is possible with HDS for the ECU to relearn the firing pattern and harmonics there's the answer. I would assume the HDS would have similar capabilities with the Fit but who knows. $500 for that GNA600 isn't bad i'll probably put it on my wish list regardless.
I just stumbled on this info. I am not running a lightend flywheel, but I am having a similar problem with my recently Sprintex supercharged Fit. I have seen P0300-P0304 misfire codes two times. But other than those the car runs great? So I have a clone HDS HIM ($150 on ebay). I believe it can do everything the GNA600 can ($$). So over the weekend I used it to relearn the idle and CKP functions. So far I have not had any more CELs.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbs
I just stumbled on this info. I am not running a lightend flywheel, but I am having a similar problem with my recently Sprintex supercharged Fit. I have seen P0300-P0304 misfire codes two times. But other than those the car runs great? So I have a clone HDS HIM ($150 on ebay). I believe it can do everything the GNA600 can ($$). So over the weekend I used it to relearn the idle and CKP functions. So far I have not had any more CELs.
Outstanding! Where did you pick up the clone HIM? I know I heard mumblings on the internet of China offerings in the $100-$150 range? How is the clone working out for you and how long have you had it? Would be great to have for idle relearn and ECU reset with a button press in addition to all the other functions.

I would be surprised if nobody tried CKP reset in the case of the flywheel CELs but who knows, it'd be an easy answer if not.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Outstanding! Where did you pick up the clone HIM? I know I heard mumblings on the internet of China offerings in the $100-$150 range? How is the clone working out for you and how long have you had it? Would be great to have for idle relearn and ECU reset with a button press in addition to all the other functions.

I would be surprised if nobody tried CKP reset in the case of the flywheel CELs but who knows, it'd be an easy answer if not.
Wanderer, I actually got mine about 2 years ago from DHgate.com. But they are all over Ebay now. I did have to find a newer version of the HDS software in order to get it to work on my car. I originally got it just to reset the TPMS. But is has come in handy for this supercharger stuff too. It has worked out great for me.
Here is another cheaper option that looks to run the same software:
OBD Tuning HDS Cable OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for Honda | eBay
I would love to know if this one does the same thing. It would be much more compact.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks for info jibberjabbs gonna check this out.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Damn those things do TPMS reprogramming of new sensors? So you can swap wheel sets?

Kinda wish I didn't buy the ATEQ Quickset, and pooled that money into one of those.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Damn those things do TPMS reprogramming of new sensors? So you can swap wheel sets?

Kinda wish I didn't buy the ATEQ Quickset, and pooled that money into one of those.
Yep just like the dealers! A tool to trigger the sensors comes in handy too. If not you have to deflate and re inflate to trigger the sensor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-TOOL-KTI-71990-TPMS-TIRE-POSITION-SENSOR-TOOL-NEW-/390722956269?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5af8e72bed&vxp=mtrI found one used for $50