2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSA Non-compliance Recall 2012-2013 Honda Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation VSA Non-compliance Recall 2012-2013 Honda Fit Sport

https://owners.honda.com/Documentum/...se_0000095.pdf

For Immediate Release
Statement by American Honda Regarding VSA Non-compliance Recall:
2012-2013 Honda Fit Sport

TORRANCE, Calif. – Apr. 26, 2013 – Honda will voluntarily recall 43,782 model-year 2012-2013 Fit Sport vehicles in the United States to update the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system software, free of charge. The VSA system on certain 2012-2013 model year Honda Fit Sport vehicles equipped with certain tires may allow yaw rates that exceed certain U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) requirements. This issue was discovered during FMVSS compliance testing, and Honda is not aware of any related crashes or injuries.
Honda is announcing this recall to encourage owners of all affected vehicles to take their vehicles to an authorized dealer as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Honda. Mailed notification to customers will begin in mid-May, 2013. In addition to contacting customers by mail, at that time, owners of these vehicles will be able to determine if their vehicles require repair by going to Safety Recalls | Honda Safety | Honda Owners Site or by calling (800) 999-1009, and selecting option 4.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the update Mark!

I just check my VIN at the owner's site and it says no recalls for my vehicle. Maybe they haven't updated yet?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Post VSA Recall - Another report in plain english

Recall: 2012-2013 Honda Fit for too much slip - MSN Autos

Recall: 2012-2013 Honda Fit for too much slip
Nearly 44,000 Fit hatchbacks are being recalled for an update to the stability control software.

Honda is recalling 43,782 Fit hatchbacks to update software for the stability control, the automaker said late Friday.

The 2012-2013 Fit Sport has a stability control system that allows the car to skid at a greater angle than allowed by federal requirements.

The issue is due to the Sport model's larger tires, which may allow the vehicle to drive more quickly around turns, a situation the stability control may not recognize in time to prevent the car from skidding.

(In reality, this isn't a defect so much as an added safety measure for those used to computer control. We say if you can't manage cornering a front-wheel-drive Honda hatchback by yourself, then you shouldn't be out on the road, period.)

That said, Honda dealers will reprogram the stability control software beginning in mid-May. Owners can find out more at Safety Recalls | Honda Safety | Honda Owners Site or by calling Honda at 1-800-999-1009.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Kinda odd that it doesn't include earlier years' VSA. Not that I want my VSA to be more agressive.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Wouldn't this be counter productive for the aggressive drivers? I mean it makes it sound like the reprogram makes the car behave more tame when under aggressive driving meaning it wont let you have any real fun?

Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
Wouldn't this be counter productive for the aggressive drivers? I mean it makes it sound like the reprogram makes the car behave more tame when under aggressive driving meaning it wont let you have any real fun?
I turn it off when I want to have fun but if I have to let someone borrow my car I feel safer knowing that the Fit has VSA.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by krunk13
I turn it off when I want to have fun but if I have to let someone borrow my car I feel safer knowing that the Fit has VSA.

I dont like turning it all the way off, i actually like how it lets me have a little bit of tail end slide before computer says enough is enough lol. I don't lend my car to anyone anyways. I dont plan on letting them to the reflash.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
Kinda odd that it doesn't include earlier years' VSA. Not that I want my VSA to be more agressive.

It already flashes like a strobe light on any pavement that's uneven/bumpy... If it does include our earlier models, I hope it fixes that.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Tried putting in my VIN# did not come up will wait until May when they mail out the notice. My car was purchased in June 2012 unless it was models manufacturer after a certain date. Wonder if they offer different tires on the Sport seems to indicate certain tires on the notice?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
meh... i dont care to get this done.

the car handles well enough. i dont want vsa to engage any sooner, especially since my summer set is not running tpms. i cant turn off vsa.

the update they need to make is for us to turn off vsa without tpms. then, we're talking.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I just wanted to update on this. Honda has revised the recall as of July 4, 2013 in SB 13-040 to now include 2012-2013 BASE model fits as well with the sports. Honda says they expect notifications to begin in early August.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
I had my Fit in for its first oil change and they did the reflash WITHOUT TELLING ME. I did not plan on having it done, I felt everything was OK. I'm unsure of what the actual effect is on day to day driving. I'm an autocrosser and I know how to handle my car, or how it should handle, and I'm OK with some tire slip. Right now I am EFFING FURIOUS they did this without asking me.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 AM
Banned
It's a safety recall and they are mandated to do it if they get hands on the vehicle. If you didn't want them to do it they propably would "deadline" your car (hold it without moving it so the safety problems could be resolved) if they did that you might be able to get it back on the back of a car hauler but not driving it.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
Question Switch?

Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy
I had my Fit in for its first oil change and they did the reflash WITHOUT TELLING ME. I did not plan on having it done, I felt everything was OK. I'm unsure of what the actual effect is on day to day driving. I'm an autocrosser and I know how to handle my car, or how it should handle, and I'm OK with some tire slip. Right now I am EFFING FURIOUS they did this without asking me.
Isn't there a switch on the dash to disable VSC?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy
sorry to hear. yah, that's the reason why i dont take my car in for anything. dont want them messing with the ECU.

keep us posted if you encounter any ill effects from it.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marklj
Isn't there a switch on the dash to disable VSC?
there is a switch to turn off traction control, but does that turn the yaw control off too? i donno.

on my other cars i can turn off dynamic stability control while there is throttle input, but the car will still have yaw control during throttle lift or while braking.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Hello guys,

I took my car in July this year to perform the update, I left my car at the dealership in the morning and in the afternoon when I went to collect my car, the VSA light was always on, I tried turning it off but not would disappear, I had to leave my car one more day.

As a recommendation I advise verify VSA activation and deactivation after having made this update.

Luis
-------------------------------------
HONDA FIT SPORT 2013 - Cnd Mkt

Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
I regret having mine flashed.

The arterial road next to my house is 55 MPH. When I try to turn right on a red into traffic, and gun it in the rain, the VSA flashes, hitting the brakes. Then I pull in front of traffic like a granny, making 55 MPH drivers hit their brakes.

Stupid recall!