2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25,000 Mi. Fit Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 PM
25,000 Mi. Fit Review

Hi,

I have used this site a lot over the last 2 years, and thought I'd put together a short review of my first 25,000 mi of Fit Ownership.

So far, all in all we have really enjoyed this car. I struggled over whether to buy this or a new Civic, but the sporty handling and nice gauges (over the disco LED dash of the Civic) pushed me over to a Fit Sport. The cost of this vs. a Civic EX was within $1K. The dealer really wanted to push the Civic's, and the Fit's not so much.

The Good:

1) Great Mileage - the worst was all city driving in the winter (29.1mpg), the best was 350 mi to the coast and back at 65mph (42.1mpg). We averaged around 33 mpg mixed, and around 37 mpg highway. The mileage has improved since new.
2) Sporty Handling
3) Perfect City Car - ridiculously small parallel parking spots - No Problem!
4) Easy to Drive - so far three teens have gotten their driving licenses with it, and only a few scuffed wheels to show for it.
5) Comfort for 4 Real Adults - more leg room than my Audi A4
6) Zippy Around Town - good acceleration around town
7) The Stock Tires - these are wearing well, although I have had three flat tires with them (bad luck I guess).
8) Greenies Love You - when driving around Seattle, I have gotten more than a few remarks about what a "Earth Sensitive" car (no kidding) I have!
9) Comfort - I have had the car on an 800mi road trip, and had no issues at all with back pain or cramping (I am 6ft 180lbs).
10) Snow Traction - the Fit is surprisingly good in the snow.
11) No Oil Consumption - I do oil changes myself with Mobil 1, and have had no oil usage at all that I can see.
12) Very Stable on the Highway

The Less Good:

1) It Needs a Few More HP - the Fit struggles up hills and mountain passes, much more so than my son's recent model Civic.
2) More Sound Insulation is Needed - it's loud, and on longer trips it gets annoying, especially over 70mph.
3) The Fan Constantly Cycles on and off When the Defroster is on - which is 9 months of the year in the Pacific Northwest. This is annoying.
4) The Gas Tank is Small - another gallon or two would make a big difference.
5) The Interior Materials Seem Cheap - The son's Civic is noticeably nicer.
6) The Interior Gets Hot - more window tint and a stronger A/C would help. Usually it's not a problem in these parts, but I would think in the south it would suck.
7) Smaller Turning Radius - the Fit needs as much room to make a u turn as my Tundra (or at least it seems like it!)

That's about it. We really like the Fit, and my wife will not give it up. For us, since it is a third car, it is perfect for running around town. If it were my only car, in the price range I might consider a Civic instead, since it has more power, is quieter, and is a much better highway car.

YMMV

Bonus - When I was in the Russian Far East last year, I got to drive my cousin's Fit Shuttle (I think). He went over to Japan, bought it used, and took the ferry back to Russia with it (1 day ride). It's a little more homely looking than our Fit, but it's longer with a bigger trunk area. Right hand drive with many of the controls labeled in Japanese. I can't get a picture to attach, but when I can I'll post it.

Last edited by Wafit; 07-25-2013 at 06:53 PM.