2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show Me Your Retrofits!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
The reflector bowl is made of some sort of tough fiberglass I think. It should be more than strong enough to hold the projector up.

The projector is epoxied in using jb quik weld and the alignment is done with jb steel stiks.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
The reflector bowl is made of some sort of tough fiberglass I think. It should be more than strong enough to hold the projector up.

The projector is epoxied in using jb quik weld and the alignment is done with jb steel stiks.
Thanks for your info,...

I am still undecided which way to go,...
for the looks, I love the Apollo 2 shrouds with that Amber Halo Ring,
for the performance, I heard nothing beat the LS460 projector,
but unfortunately the LS460 projector is way too big for any shroud out there, plus the LS460 already came with their own shroud...

so I still had to decide do I want to go for the looks I love (Apollo 2 shrouds) or the best performance LS460 Bi-Xenon...

luckily my cash flow is still kinda low hahaha... (or unlucky )
so I still have several months before I had to decide between the 2 choice above...

Old 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
If you dont mind clear shrouds, I'd say go for the ls460s. Keep in mind the halos can be mounted behind them and look really good through the shroud. All depends on what kind of look you want I guess.

The ls460s are also a lot more expensive as well. I was lucky enough I get a great deal on mine. ( bought them on this site)

Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmjunkie561
Yea I have the yellow film too! But thanks! Loving urs as well! But here's the q45 one
I always loved the Q45 projectors, but the output isn't the greatest. Looks cool as hell though.

Lots of good information in here already. Apollo 2.0 is so nice and the ls430 is baller!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM
^^ yeah, Q45 isn't the greatest.

I wanna do a retro too. prolly just mini H1

is taking the headlights out difficult? any linky/thread/how to remove?

Thanks

Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
If you dont mind clear shrouds, I'd say go for the ls460s. Keep in mind the halos can be mounted behind them and look really good through the shroud. All depends on what kind of look you want I guess.

The ls460s are also a lot more expensive as well. I was lucky enough I get a great deal on mine. ( bought them on this site)
Oh,
I never knew that the Halos can be mounted behind the SHROUD of the LS460 !

How do you mount yours? is it in front of YOUR shrouds or behind it?

I just read the spec at theretrofit website,
and the amber Halos do not have that yellow look since it do not have that yellow coating, so when the light is not on (car engine off),
it should be almost invisible right?

if I am not mistaken you bought your LS460 projector from a member here who originally want to put it on his father CR-V or something...
I remember I was asking him a question,
but before he can answer it,
you already bought it from him
I guess you are much faster in spotting a good value than me hehehe

I think he said something about the solenoid on this LS460 projector had been modified to be integrated into the projector or something right,
and that is "extra option" that he pay to "the retrofit"...

Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
If you're comfortable with taking off your front bumper, taking the headlights off isn't much more work. There's 5 bolts around each housing and a plastic bar of clips to take off the front bottom of the headlight.

Once you have them off, there are 5 screws you need to take off before throwing them in the oven.

I would recommend the morimoto minis for your retrofit if you don't want to get "hardcore" about installation and alignment. No cutting required, and they fit right into where the original bulb was. They should also align quite easily because of this.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Oh,
I never knew that the Halos can be mounted behind the SHROUD of the LS460 !

How do you mount yours? is it in front of YOUR shrouds or behind it?

I just read the spec at theretrofit website,
and the amber Halos do not have that yellow look since it do not have that yellow coating, so when the light is not on (car engine off),
it should be almost invisible right?

if I am not mistaken you bought your LS460 projector from a member here who originally want to put it on his father CR-V or something...
I remember I was asking him a question,
but before he can answer it,
you already bought it from him
I guess you are much faster in spotting a good value than me hehehe

I think he said something about the solenoid on this LS460 projector had been modified to be integrated into the projector or something right,
and that is "extra option" that he pay to "the retrofit"...
Yeah, the shrouds on the ls460s are clear so the LEDs can be seen easily through them. My xbaled rings are glued onto a ledge just inside/behind the shroud. I believe 100mm is the perfect diameter for this.

Yes the amber ones do not have the yellow coating, so they'll be less noticeable when off. But honestly I can barely see the yellow rings when mine are off. It doesn't bother me at all.

Yep I got them off that guy! Got a sweet deal. And you're right, they're modified ls460 projectors using the more compact morimoto solenoids. Makes it far easier to install.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, the shrouds on the ls460s are clear so the LEDs can be seen easily through them. My xbaled rings are glued onto a ledge just inside/behind the shroud. I believe 100mm is the perfect diameter for this.

Yes the amber ones do not have the yellow coating, so they'll be less noticeable when off. But honestly I can barely see the yellow rings when mine are off. It doesn't bother me at all.

Yep I got them off that guy! Got a sweet deal. And you're right, they're modified ls460 projectors using the more compact morimoto solenoids. Makes it far easier to install.
Thanks Connor55,
your detailed explanation really help me understand how the xBaled Halos mounted.
Thank You again

Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Glad this thread can be valuable to many.. and to take apart the headlights is the easiest thing to do, at the time thats what had me the most worried about the whole thing. but after messing with 3 headlights, i can do it with my eyes closed. but as i stated before, best upgrade you an do for the fit. hands down.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by jdmjunkie561
well heres a pic of mine, def one of the best things to do.. worth every penny

this is not the best quality pic but led halos
Ive been looking for retrofits your are sick, where did you get them or what site?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
I just worry that after spending thousands of dollars, then just after 1 year of use,
the retrofitted Projector will just fall from it's mounting because the factory bowl reflector cracked...

Have this problem happened to any of you?
I could've swore that both sets BB had built for his Fits, and sold eventually had some minor glitches.... I recall reading something about them in separate threads.

Not too sure about the reliability of the LS460's due to the modifications required... I was set on those, but I'd rather get the D2S Minis, w/the new LED Rings, and the chrome shrouds and call it a day. It will still be much, much better than OEM (of course not as good as the 460's though), and if anything goes wrong, they're a lot cheaper to replace.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
The modified ls projectors use the same solenoids as the morimotos, so I don't think they'd be any less reliable.

Installation would definitely be a lot easier, and price would be significantly lower with the d2s minis though.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=SHOELAC3D;1199152]Ive been looking for retrofits your are sick, where did you get them or what ?

Well these are oem headlights with the retrofit kit from the retrofit source. Not sure if u think I got the headlights aftermarket or not or u are asking where did I get the retrofit projector kit from lol but yea the retrofit source. And the k you for ur kind words my friend

Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  110311-1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  40.2 KB
Best mod I've ever done. You won't regret it. I went inexpensive and just did it the easy way. Morimoto mini's w gatlin gun 2 shrouds and I did the custom paintwork.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:24 PM
jdmjunkie! OMG that car is super fly. i like your style