2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where To Buy Honda Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Where To Buy Honda Oil Filter

I will soon be starting to change my oil in my 2012 Fit, having had it changed before at the dealer. I want to use the Part #15400-PLM-A01 filter rather than the A02 which I have read is not as good. I checked the dealer and some of the websites and found one that sells that filter as well as the crush washers for a little more than a dollar less than the dealer if purchased in quantities of 6. That site is www.handa-accessories.com. Has anyone purchased from them and can pass on a recommendation? Any other sources that would be good choices?
Will appreciate your suggestions.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
They look legitimate. And at about $5 the price is right. How much for shipping?

I have used Majestic Honda and College Hills Honda. Majestic is pricey for handling and shipping. Don't remember what College Hills charges.

But 6 filters will last about 4 years depending on your driving habits. I go 10K between changes by the MaintenanceMinder and change the filter every time even though it's not required except every other change. Rather than stocking up I just swing by the Honda parts counter at the local dealer.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
They look legitimate. And at about $5 the price is right. How much for shipping?

I have used Majestic Honda and College Hills Honda. Majestic is pricey for handling and shipping. Don't remember what College Hills charges.

But 6 filters will last about 4 years depending on your driving habits. I go 10K between changes by the MaintenanceMinder and change the filter every time even though it's not required except every other change. Rather than stocking up I just swing by the Honda parts counter at the local dealer.

The dollar plus per filter difference includes the shipping.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
sounds like the best deal. I'll bookmark them.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Im using whatever the dealership gave me. Filter is fine. that stuff is history, it was a very LARGE batch that was bad. The part number itself is NOT bad.

They made a HUGE batch. It DOES take a while to use it up.

The problem was centered around very cold climates anyways, where pressure skyrocketed during cold starts

Old 09-11-2013, 03:32 PM
I thought the problem with A02 filters was cheaper internals compared to A01?

Cut and dissect:

There's nothing wrong with the A02s for 90% of people, I used them myself plenty of times. Some people just like that extra quality the A01's provided. I just use Wix now, which also have quality internals, got tired of going to the dealership.

HAndA Accessories was great for me, I bought a bunch of stuff from them when they had a big sale, great shipping time, etc, no problems.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just do this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Honda-Oil-Filter-3-Pack-w-Washers-/400329907354?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d35859c9a&vxp=mtr

vendors charge rediculous freight, so unless you're getting wiper refills and something along with your purchase, would not make sense.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I thought the problem with A02 filters was cheaper internals compared to A01?

Cut and dissect:
Honda Oil Filter Comparison: 15400-PLM-A01 and 15400-PLM-A02 - YouTube

There's nothing wrong with the A02s for 90% of people, I used them myself plenty of times. Some people just like that extra quality the A01's provided. I just use Wix now, which also have quality internals, got tired of going to the dealership.

HAndA Accessories was great for me, I bought a bunch of stuff from them when they had a big sale, great shipping time, etc, no problems.
I saw this video plus some other comments on the web that the A01 is made by Filtech and the A02 by Fram. Quality looks better in the A01 and that is why I will go with it. Glad to hear you had no problems with H & A Accessories. I'll probably go with them. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
just do this

Genuine Honda Oil Filter 3 Pack w Washers | eBay

vendors charge rediculous freight, so unless you're getting wiper refills and something along with your purchase, would not make sense.

These appear to be the A02. Not what I am looking for.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mharnisch
These appear to be the A02. Not what I am looking for.
that's too bad.

at the price you're paying for the A01's (which imo aren't that much better anyway) with the vendor freight, why not just grab a K&N or Mobil1 filter locally? i would do that if im spending more than $7-8 on a factory filter each with washer.

if you can find other honda accessories to buy along with your filters, the more it might make sense as noted earlier.
i seriously doubt you're going to notice any difference between the A01 and A02's anyway for street use.

GL with your oil change.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Just wondering why you wouldn't just go to your local auto parts store and buy a filter?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Friends do not let friends use Fram filters so forget the A02.

Buy a case of Wix filters and you will have quality filters on hand for the life of the vehicle. I buy filters by the case when I first get the vehicle and then never worry if I have one on hand. I did one time buy a case of AC Delco filters for my Colorado from a closing GM dealership. The price was right. Otherwise I use Wix on everything (John Deere, GM, Grumman, Ford, Toyota, and Honda). My garden tractors use Puralator again because I got a deal.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
I'll be honest... A01 and A02 both look like crap.

Cellulose paper and cardboard do not sound like quality to me. And yes, BOTH have cardboard end caps, Filtech has even less, which sounds like a potential point for unfiltered oil to get through even without the bypass. Because the cellulose paper is folded to make the pleats and go around the central exit tube. However, the sides of the paper aren't sealed, which is why there's a cardboard cap.

So, unless there's an actual video or official study of ANY benefit of A01 during the it's life or possibly consistency at a longer life compared to A02... it's all junk by the end of an oil change or two.

A02: Honda Oil Filter Packs (For Most Models) - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

It'd be funny if part of the reason Honda moved to Honeywell was also influenced by that end cap... in that, A02 is "better" than A01.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Has anyone ever seen a dissect of the HAMP filters? Or know what a HAMP is comparable to? I don't think i'd ever go through the trouble of ordering them but I know a lot of people think they're the bees knees for whatever reason.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
there are many cars ive owned that use those fiber board ends on the element including european cars where you just buy the element and reuse the can. it's not a big deal.

if it's oem, it is basically good enough for your street car and watever imagination you have with oem filters, they are just that in your head. oem parts are validated through a very stringent process unlike aftermarket bits and are warrantied.

i can understand if someone needs a specific filter for their race car, but on a fit driven on the street? lol A01 and A02 are good enough. who you trying to kid.

i wouldn't care either one. i would care if im spending more than $7-8 on a filter with washer for this car cause it's just a waste of money. same goes for my other cars. i just use factory filters and washers. never had a problem.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
I use amsoil filter

also if no one knws the 2012 civic filter fits out car to

Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Wafulz
I use amsoil filter

also if no one knws the 2012 civic filter fits out car to
Same filter fits all Honda/Acura except S2000 and NSX. Easy shopping

Oh and I think some of those weirdo motor Legend/Vigor use a different one.

Last edited by Wanderer.; 09-12-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
there are many cars ive owned that use those fiber board ends on the element including european cars where you just buy the element and reuse the can. it's not a big deal.
I think MINI has that type - element in a screw on can.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Speed Demon
Just wondering why you wouldn't just go to your local auto parts store and buy a filter?

I recently got rid of a 97 Civic (original owner) and had always changed my own oil and used Honda filters. Car was over 15 years old and never had a problem. It was still running like new, but I decided it was time for a new one so we bought the Fit. I am going to stick with Honda filters.