2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a Fit??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Yeah that windshield is huge...I was thinking I would need one of those windshield screens when parked (I don't have covered parking) but do they even make them big enough to fit that giant windshield?

Old 10-17-2013, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
yeah they even come in Fit sizes, but you need a utility trailer to hold it when it's not in use. I kid.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Fit. Can't beat the reliability, and resale value is unbelievable. And I am currently driving a Scion. Nothing wrong with it, but I have more confidence in Honda.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 PM

Now I'm worried that I'm going to get hit by a giant car and diiiee....uuugh.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
heh, well that would be true whether you go XD or Fit. Mass always wins.

If it helps, you're better off being hit while driving a Fit than walking.

Not sure what smiley to use in this situation.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 PM
I was the almost Yaris person. I was going Toyota due to driving them for 30 years. The corolla were so fuel efficient and dependable, I wanted that part again. I shied away from Honda due to a LEMON civic (rebuilt twice in first 10k under warranty). I LOVE the Fit so far and do think it's a better match than the Yaris, esp now that my employer is paying for some of my gas (250 miles/an work travel). My only concern is only one dealer in this whole 1/2 of the State. That's a long tow if it breaks down on the road trip. Toyota has a dealer in every town. The Fit has excellent mileage, more cargo space and $100 les a year to insure!

Old 10-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 PM
I like the five speed automatic trans on the Fit vs the four speed automatic trans on the Yaris. The cargo space is better on the Fit too. I love the flip up seat bottoms on the back seat and the flat folding rear seats the Fit has. There is also more room behind the rear seat for my Blaze my Rottweiler!

Old 10-17-2013, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by 2010FitSport
There is also more room behind the rear seat for my Blaze my Rottweiler!
Awesome.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by joutein

I'm on my phone so I can't link the video, but on YouTube there us video of a guy rolling his fit 7 or 8 times and walks away from it. Just because the Fit is a smaller car doesn't make it less safe

Attached Thumbnails Should I get a Fit??-480-honda.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
I'm on my phone so I can't link the video, but on YouTube there us video of a guy rolling his fit 7 or 8 times and walks away from it. Just because the Fit is a smaller car doesn't make it less safe
And those tall SUVs do have a propensity for rolling.

Still I'd rather hit someone driving another Fit than a Ford Explorer.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Drive a golf cart, even as bad as these accidents appear on film the cars are much safer then even cars ten years ago. People buy SUVs thinking size make a difference when at one point SUV's were involved in more one car accidents due to rollovers. If worry go to IIHS for Fit results Vehicle Details

Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a pretty good article on the subject. I'm surprised pickups don't do better; you're safer in a small car. (look at the right column for more recent statistics, they've changed a lot since 2005, the left column).

Midsized cars are twice as safe as a small cars. And midsized SUVs are twice as safe as a midsized car. At least in terms of deaths per million vehicles.

Keep in mind these stats lump together all makes cars; you could be safer driving a Fit than the least safe midsize SUV.

The article's conclusion says it best:

Regardless of what you drive, all experts agree that how you drive is the most important safety factor. Human performance and behavior factors contribute to more than 90 percent of vehicle crashes...

Last edited by Steve244; 10-18-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 AM
That's true...I think I'm a pretty safe driver...what I'm worried about though is the performance of the drivers in the giant SUVs lol. I don't want a giant car though...but I might test drive the Honda CR-V...it's not toooo big. I use to drive a PT Cruiser ...not sure how that compares in size to the honda fit but it didn't seem too small.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Fit against LAND ROVER! (Land Rover driver dies)

Originally Posted by joutein
At 3 a.m. today, a 2009 Honda Fit was traveling north on I-93 and switched from the middle to left lane to avoid a slower vehicle. The Honda crashed into the median guardrail and its operator, 27-year-old Eoin Collins-Lyman of Tewksbury, was ejected from the car, State Police said. A 2005 Land Rover that was traveling in the left lane struck the Honda. The driver, 40-year-old David L. Vaughan of Andover, was also ejected from his vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene, the statement said. - See more at: Car crashes in Watertown and Andover kill two people, State Police say - Boston.com
Tewksbury man hurt, cited in fatal crash - Lowell Sun Online
Tewksbury Resident Cited Following Fatal I-93 Crash in Andover - Police & Fire - Tewksbury, MA Patch

I was going to say didn't some one flip their Fit multiple times?
Originally Posted by MNfit

OP, I don't think you have much to worry about regarding accidents, this car is one of the safest.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Really think you're over thinking things OP, Fit is a great car and so is the XD

I really like the practicality and interior space of the Fit and when you combine it with the fun to drive factor it really was a no brainer for me. I would test drive both and make your own decision.

I think there is a real reason why the Fit wins in all the comparisons by the major magazines, it's one of the best cars for combining both fun and practicality

Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
The 09 XD was one of the cars I considered, but the current model got far less MPG than the earlier, and both got less than the 09 Fit. I didn't care for the interior finish of the XD, it wasn't up to toyota standards. The XD I test drove seemed noisy and harsh, but someone had put low profile tires on it so that was a factor.

The Fit still fits me, but sometimes I wish for more comfort in a midsize. Especially on those 12 hour drives to Largo. Around town it's fine.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
My 08 (118,xxx)fit still have original brake on it

Old 10-19-2013, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
One thing that is seldom factored in: The Fit(and smaller cars in general) are more maneuverable and can AVOID wrecks in the first place. At least that's what I'd like to think!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by silverback
One thing that is seldom factored in: The Fit(and smaller cars in general) are more maneuverable and can AVOID wrecks in the first place. At least that's what I'd like to think!
David and Goliath. My biggest car, my Camry, got it the most serious accident of any of my cars.

Quick Reply: Should I get a Fit??