2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Should I get a Fit??

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Should I get a Fit??

I'm debating between a 2013 Honda Fit or a Scion XD...The only reason I am hesitant about the Fit is because I have been researching it and I found a ton of complaints about brake failures. But it seemed like most of those problems were with the 2008 model. But I'm still worried about it. Also I read about some recalls...since my car will be new, they would have fixed all the problems before selling it to me right? (I've never bought a car before...I have no idea what I'm doing...I just really want something safe and reliable)

Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 PM
MPA
I've never driven a Scion xD, but I can say that the Fit is a very fun car to drive - surprisingly fun for what it is.

I have had 9,000 trouble free miles with my '13 base model.

I recommend using TrueCar.com for getting a good starting price - I paid $15,800 for my car back in March. I wanted a sport, but finding one with a stick was hard to do.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'm on my second one.

/thread

Long story short I got sandwiched with my first one.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks
I test drove both of them already and there were things I liked/disliked about both cars.
The Fit had much better visibility but it was easier to drive the Scion xD (the gas pedal on the Fit was super sensitive and it was hard to get use to). And I think I liked the interior of the scion more...It seemed more comfortable and spacious.
I am terrible at making decisions...

Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Yeah, the first time I drove my Fit out of the dealership I zoomed out because the gas was sensitive but I got used to it really quickly.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joutein
I'm debating between a 2013 Honda Fit or a Scion XD...The only reason I am hesitant about the Fit is because I have been researching it and I found a ton of complaints about brake failures. But it seemed like most of those problems were with the 2008 model. But I'm still worried about it. Also I read about some recalls...since my car will be new, they would have fixed all the problems before selling it to me right? (I've never bought a car before...I have no idea what I'm doing...I just really want something safe and reliable)
Which one do you LIKE more? Have you test driven and spent time sitting in each? If not, highly suggest you do that, and base your decision on that as your main factor.
I would advise to not worry about reliability in either car so much; they are made by honda and toyota respectively, so will be comparable in that department.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:34 AM
I know what it is to be stuck between 2 makes/models. For me, it was almost a Yaris. I ordered one but it did not arrive for several weeks after the initial estimate. I spent the last two weeks going back and forth. When the Yaris was delayed another week, I switched to the Fit. Dependability is huge for me. The ratings I saw were scion, Fit, Yaris. Top 3 in the class should all be good bets. Looked at the versa note. Cute but not reliably.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:59 AM
Banned
Ah no take a look around in here and see if you can find more than a couple of "brake problems" in any year Fit. Problem is nonexistent.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 AM
. . . I think I liked the interior of the scion more...It seemed more comfortable and spacious. . . .
I adjusted the Scion xD driver's seat then started looking at other parts. The rear seats wouldn't fold down unless the driver's seat was moved forward. That's with the head rests pulled out of the rear seats and put on the floor.

After operating the simple and spacious Fit seats it was just funny. Toyota can do better.

This is my third new car and third new Honda. The previous two new Hondas were first-year after model changes. ( Just coincidence; that's when I needed cars.) Many people avoid the first year after a model change, but I have been very impressed with the quality of Hondas.

My '13 Fit is more "tested" but it will be hard to beat the reliability record of my other Hondas.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Have you take your decision? I never drive a Scion i think is a good car but i prefer the Fit for the magic seats, big trunk space, the wheels in 2012/2013 sport model are very nice, is fun to drive, VSA, Bluetooth, etc...

Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
brake failure?? huh? i had the 08 MT originally and it had no brake failure...and that car i drove it borderline abusively. was fine.

if you buy the car new and if recall was already posted, the dealer will do all the recall work prior to selling the car. and the recalls on the '12-13 weren't that big of a deal either, i dont think.

my '12 (my 3rd fit sport btw) has a recall out for the dynamic stabilty control program. honda thinks it reacts too slow or something... personally, i hate dynamic stability control and would rather it not get in my way of driving at all, so i haven't done the recall. i definitely dont want it reacting sooner.

unless you can get the xD for a SUPER deal, get the Fit. xD is a dated car anyway and probably will get phased out like the xB's.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member

The two cars are pretty even on reliability and servce and especially brakes. We've had at least a hundred Fits in here and not one with brake failure so I do not see where thats coming from. We've only had a couple of XD's but we can't see a difference.
If it is true I would blame it on cheap chinese pads .
Choose the one you think is best.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 AM
No brake problems i've heard about or seen, not sure where you read that?

Final decision depends on how you feel about driving a Scion xD...

Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM
If it was my decision, I would skip the Toyota and get the Fit Sport. Reason, Toyota having a spat of recalls that still continue. Yes they are fixed for free but after a while the hassle of going back to dealer will wear you, second resale value. The Fit is a highly sort after car and will sell for a pretty penny if you decide to sell it later or trade it in ( depends if you lease or buy). Personal decision but Fit is better looking probably will get better mileage to. Consumer reports list Fit as highest reliability of any car I believe. From first hand experience the Fit is an awesome car have 2013 with 500 miles. Can not believe how enjoyable it is to drive. Very connected to the rode. The seating does take a bit to get use to. The seats sit up high and no lumbar support but you will adjust. And to the person who almost got the Yaris, it was a blessing it never came in. The Fit is a muccchhhh! better car for the money.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies this is where I read about the brake problems: http://townhall-talk.Edmunds.com/dir...ew/.f13ed76/61

Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Within the US:
The number of consumer complaints about Fit brakes are running in the low single digits per year (reading the details gives you the impression a lot of idiots buy Fits!). Scion XD complaints are nil, but when you look at the sales numbers I don't think there's a valid comparison. Either way, I wouldn't worry about the brakes. I didn't read through the edmunds thread, to know if there's a fire for all the smoke. I think not.

The factory equipped tires suck and these will have a greater effect on braking ability.

There haven't been any anecdotal accounts here of brake problems I can think of here in since I've been hanging out. (Lot's of A/C stories, if you live in a hot climate that's something to consider!).

Personally I had one braking incident. I75 in FL and I wasn't paying attention. Slammed on my brakes to avoid rear-ending a slow moving car. Only had one hand on the wheel and the car started shimmying (back end did a wag). Controlled it through to stop but it startled me. I attribute this to my lack of two hands on the wheel, the car's quick steering, and the car's small size, more than any issue with the brakes.

I just popped new pads in at 57,000 miles. No complaints.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:17 PM
I live in Florida...definitely need ac to work lol. Is the ac a serious issue?

Old 10-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks for all the info I'm starting to reconsider the fit. I'm terribly indecisive though so I'll probably keep changing my mind a few more times lol.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
I live in Florida...definitely need ac to work lol. Is the ac a serious issue?
It's underpowered for the amount of glass. If you have covered parking, or don't mind waiting 5-10 minutes to cool off (and this is with the windows down to exhaust the superhot air first) it's OK. Heavy tinting helps, I understand.

I've driven mine to Key Largo a couple times in the summer and left it parked outside. It takes a few miles to get comfortable.

This summer it failed going south (freezing up). Key Largo Honda fixed it for me: $250 for a new pressure switch and clutch relay plus a charge. The trip back was fine. There are too many reports of similar problems just here on this forum. It's a design issue.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:27 PM
A/C is definitely not as cold as some other cars i've been in, but is adequate for me even travelling through Death Valley (as hot as it gets in US? idk). It just takes a little longer to get cool than i'm used to, but not uncomfortable at all.

Quick Reply: Should I get a Fit??