2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2013 Fit - should I wait until 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Buying a 2013 Fit - should I wait until 2014?

So I've decided I don't want to buy used, and I don't want to wait for the 2014 models to roll out. I'm going to be buying a 2013 Fit at some point in the near future.

I'm in a situation where I can probably afford to wait until January or February if it makes sense. My current car isn't great, but it'll last me another few months comfortably.

My question is - given that we shouldn't expect to see the new 2014 models coming out until next summer (according to most sources I've seen), is it possible we'll see a price drop come January?

I can't help but think a 2013 Fit should sell for less once 2014 starts.
Thoughts?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:35 AM
Banned
Yes that is the normal course for release. And yes prices go down but you will have to take a 2013 off the lot or in the area no ordering just what you want. But usually it is spring for release.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
depends if you need the car right away or not i guess. and also if you prefer the 13's shape or the picts we've seen of the '14.

i prefer the made in japan '13 that has bugs worked out vs a made in another country potentially filled with bugs new release.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
depends if you need the car right away or not i guess. and also if you prefer the 13's shape or the picts we've seen of the '14.

i prefer the made in japan '13 that has bugs worked out vs a made in another country potentially filled with bugs new release.

I guess maybe my question wasn't totally clear - I've been giving it a lot of thought and I'm decided on buying a 2013 model (pretty much for the reasons you mentioned).

I don't need the car right now.... I'm pretty sure my current car will hold on for a couple of more months (but I will need something in the near future).

My question basically boiled down to, if the 2014 model won't be released until summer, should we still expect to see the 2013 models drop in price a bit come January? Or should we expect Honda to hold the price steady until the new 2014 model is released? Seems like a 2013 would be worth less once the calendar year rolls around, but I don't have much experience with these things... haven't bought a Honda since 2001 (which is the Civic I'm about to replace).

Old 10-31-2013, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
i would not expect price to drop on these cars. probably lowest is $50-150 from invoice (not MSRP).

if you dont buy it, someone else will. the honda fit sports are benchmark ecnoboxes.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Kenchan.

Right now I've got a local dealership with the base at 16,599 and the sport at 17,997.
Seems to be the best pricing I've found.

OTD those should be roughly $17,922 and $19,411 respectively (according to the breakdown on fees/taxes that they gave me).
I was debating whether or not to pull the trigger in the next few days to take advantage of the $500 Honda rebate with the .9%APR.

I was planning on paying cash for the car, but if Honda wants to give me $500 to take on roughly $300 of interest I'll gladly accept that offer.

I guess the odds of the prices dropping further than that in January are probably slim.
Decisions decisions.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Price is not gonna drop very much as mentioned. And as the stock runs low you will be finding yourself having to settle for a car instead of getting to pick one.

My dealer already has very low inventory compared to the other cars so it's already evident that production is slowing down.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM
The price might drop a bit more when the new body style comes out, but I wouldn't expect any huge markdowns. Even GDs are holding their value particularly well given their age.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
The price might drop a bit more when the new body style comes out, but I wouldn't expect any huge markdowns. Even GDs are holding their value particularly well given their age.

Yeah - problem is I don't think I can wait until the 2014s are released... at the most I can wait until January or February. Any more than that is probably pushing it (my transmission is not in good shape right now, so these are just wild guesses... the car could conk out tomorrow).

Pretty sure I'm committed at this point... since I just came in from cleaning out the other side of the garage to make room for a car (been keeping my old car in the driveway for years... won't do that with a new one).

Thanks for all the advice - this forum has been a fantastic resource for me in the past few weeks.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AustinDriver
Yeah - problem is I don't think I can wait until the 2014s are released.....
I don't think any info has been released yet. Since 2013/2014 is the last year for the current generation Fit (GE8), I have a feeling this will be an off type year... usually the next year models begin showing up around late summer thru fall. In this case I think the 2014 will just be a 2013, but relabeled (so to speak).

The rest of the world will get the new generation Fits in 2014, but from what's been in the press releases, North America will have to wait till towards the end of 2014 (Mexico plant), which will most likely be labeled as a 2015. Just like the rest of the world got the current GE8 in 2008, when we only got it in the states in 2009, and how we got the 2007 GD3 Fit in April 2006.

As mentioned these little cars depreciate very little over the years, so you might as well buy now (a 2013).

Old 10-31-2013, 01:47 PM
If you don't need the car now than wait. You would not be happy if you made the move now and the changes to the 2014 turned out to be something you liked. It is going to offer 28% better fuel economy and that will easily pay for any increase in price that you might see.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Kenchan.

Right now I've got a local dealership with the base at 16,599 and the sport at 17,997.

OTD those should be roughly $17,922 and $19,411 respectively (according to the breakdown on fees/taxes that they gave me).
I was debating whether or not to pull the trigger in the next few days to take advantage of the $500 Honda rebate with the .9%APR.

I was planning on paying cash for the car, but if Honda wants to give me $500 to take on roughly $300 of interest I'll gladly accept that offer.

I guess the odds of the prices dropping further than that in January are probably slim.
Decisions decisions.
I agree, don't expect the price to drop much more. Take a look at truecar.com and take a look at the charts (lowest price only, not the average).
In the instant price quote; take a look whatever they offer, subtract $100-$200 (splitting truecar's commission) and that would be around the "true"lowest price you could shoot for working with dealer directly.

Last edited by raytseng; 10-31-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Kenchan.

Decisions decisions.
yah that's still slightly high. i think. perhaps you can ask them to drop another 500. i forget the exact numbers, but my otd price was $19004 or something. it was almost rounded to the mark $19K. i paid cash.

i know tax is different so your otd will be different but i think you can go a tad lower. maybe not a whole 500, but perhaps 350.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:19 PM
I personally won't buy the first year of a new car or new generation of vehicle if there are significant changes.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cyanosis
I personally won't buy the first year of a new car or new generation of vehicle if there are significant changes.
yep, even if i do decide to buy any new release, i would wait until late into the model year.

most cars get a lot of kinks worked out in the first 6-8months.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by raytseng
I agree, don't expect the price to drop much more. Take a look at truecar.com and take a look at the charts (lowest price only, not the average).
In the instant price quote; take a look whatever they offer, subtract $100-$200 (splitting truecar's commission) and that would be around the "true"lowest price you could shoot for working with dealer directly.
Thanks for that advice.

Truecar's 'low price' on the 2013 sport is $17,964.
The dealership I've been dealing with is asking $17,997 as the lowest on the sport right now... which seems pretty good to me.

If I can get the $500 Honda 'flex cash' offer that would drop to $17,497 that I would actually owe (tax would still be on the total amount if I understand correctly).

I'm starting to think I should pull the trigger on this sooner rather than later.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah that's still slightly high. i think. perhaps you can ask them to drop another 500. i forget the exact numbers, but my otd price was $19004 or something. it was almost rounded to the mark $19K. i paid cash.

i know tax is different so your otd will be different but i think you can go a tad lower. maybe not a whole 500, but perhaps 350.
Just saw this reply after posting my last one....

my OTD price would be 19,411 on the sport, but I would actually only owe $18,911 if I'm understanding the 'flex cash' promo (Honda pays $500 towards your loan if you finance through them). Together with the 0.9% APR that seems like a worthwhile avenue, especially if I can just pay it off early (I need to find out the fine print on that).

Old 10-31-2013, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Just saw this reply after posting my last one....

my OTD price would be 19,411 on the sport, but I would actually only owe $18,911 if I'm understanding the 'flex cash' promo (Honda pays $500 towards your loan if you finance through them). Together with the 0.9% APR that seems like a worthwhile avenue, especially if I can just pay it off early (I need to find out the fine print on that).
yah, sounds good

Old 11-02-2013, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
I'd wait for 2014 when it's released next year. Supposed to get better mpg and should have HID's with smaller headlight housings.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:03 AM
For what it's worth, I just bought a new Fit this weekend and the dealer said that they had just put in their last order for 2013 Fits. I don't know if you're looking for a manual or automatic, but there were only 5 manuals in inventory, 4 base and 1 Sport, out of about 45 total. If you're going with a manual, I'd probably jump sooner rather than later in order to get your pick of what's left. It seems automatics will be much easier to find later this year/early next year.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2013 Fit - should I wait until 2014?