2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Honda Fit - Loud humming noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:59 PM
2007 Honda Fit - Loud humming noise while driving

Hi there,

I have a 2007 Honda Fit with 104,000 km (64600 miles) on it with an automatic transmission. When driving under normal circumstances (Shifted in the 'D' slot), and descending a hill without accelerating (just letting the transmission hold the car back), or just letting the car run without accelerating, there is a loud humming noise coming from, what sounds like, the transmission. It's loud enough from inside to sound like the engine is working double-time. There is no 'Check Engine' light or any other indicator. I haven't brought it to a mechanic yet.

Any suggestions? Also, if there is no 'Check Engine' light, could the ECU still contain a fault code?

Many thanks,
Dustin

Old 12-19-2013, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by at88mph
Hi there,

I have a 2007 Honda Fit with 104,000 km (64600 miles) on it with an automatic transmission. When driving under normal circumstances (Shifted in the 'D' slot), and descending a hill without accelerating (just letting the transmission hold the car back), or just letting the car run without accelerating, there is a loud humming noise coming from, what sounds like, the transmission. It's loud enough from inside to sound like the engine is working double-time. There is no 'Check Engine' light or any other indicator. I haven't brought it to a mechanic yet.

Any suggestions? Also, if there is no 'Check Engine' light, could the ECU still contain a fault code?

Many thanks,
Dustin
No idea but did you check fluid level in the tranny?

Maybe a heat shield on the catalytic converter is vibrating ?

Might be wise to take it in before a big problem develops

Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, Black3sr is correct. The very first thing you should examine is the large metal heat shield on top of the exhaust manifold right behind the engine. Once the engine is cool enough, simply put your hand on it, tap it with your knuckles or see if you can move it at all. In many GDs, it would seem that the top bolt was not secured properly on the assembly line making for a harmonic nuisance. I went to my mechanic who simply shoved a C washer under the bolt head to close the distance between the bolt head and the rattling metal heat shield. I hope that is all it is in your case, but I fear it is not because you should also hear the heat shield rattle when you start the car or when idling at a stop light. Good luck.

Last edited by BurntZ; 12-19-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
could be wheel bearing going, i had that sound on another car ages ago

Old 12-19-2013, 07:02 PM
I would guess wheel bearing also but u said the noise is present while car isn't moving or accelerating correct? Does noise change when u turn the a/c on or off?

Old 09-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Same issue possibly

Originally Posted by at88mph
Hi there,

Many thanks,
Dustin
I recently replaced the engine on a 2013 FIT, after install their is a humming , vibrating or rubbing noise immediately upon starting the engine it increases with the accelerator when you tap the gas pedal. No codes. In addition too that the engine will die out, dash with go black and the car will be dead for 30 min too an hour . Then it will start back up. I took the alternator and starter in too be checked and both are good. Upgraded the battery. This cycle has repeated several time the past two weeks . I've had all this work done at my home and would hate too have too take it too the dealer now.