2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i loathe tpms

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
i loathe tpms

2010 base, 46k miles original tires.
going to get new tires when inspection is due next month.
also going to see if this is a warranty item.
tpms light came on, went off, came back on, went off, and now appears to have made up its mind and is on for good now.
all tires are 36psi, one appears to have a slow leak.
curious to know if anyone has tried this?
ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive
does it work and turn the light off?
also this is the TPMS not (_!_). thanks guys.

Last edited by seanpatrickk; 01-12-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by seanpatrickk
2010 base, 46k miles original tires.
going to get new tires when inspection is due next month.
also going to see if this is a warranty item.
tpms light came on, went off, came back on, went off, and now appears to have made up its mind and is on for good now.
all tires are 36psi, one appears to have a slow leak.
curious to know if anyone has tried this?
ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Reset Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive
does it work and turn the light off?
also this is the TPMS not (_!_). thanks guys.
did you check the spare tire because that has a sensor in it too and that is what was causing mine to go off and when I filled it went off after about 7 to 10 miles of driving and has not come back on since! Thank God.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
i didnt know that .. will check it tomorrow. thx man. do you know what psi of spare should be ?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 PM
The TPMS light (rather than the tire/exclamation point light) indicates that there is something amiss with the system itself, rather than an underinflated tire. It's not something that could simply be reset with a scan tool, so far as I know; that's only useful if you have different transponders you need to reprogram the computer to respond to. In your case, the transponders haven't changed, so the problem is either one of them failing (possibly due to the battery in the transponder wearing out), or something else in the system having broken.

The scan tool might be able to tell you which transponder isn't responding properly...but from a quick glance at some of the reviews, I kind of doubt it.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
I believe it should be around 60psi or so, but double check the door just to be sure it does list the spare also.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
TPMS doesn't monitor the spare (no sender on the spare tire).

Old 01-12-2014, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Since this is the actual letters, TPMS, there is (of course) an issue with the tire pressure monitoring system... be it sensor communication or elsewhere. Disregard the prior post about inflating your spare tire in attempt to turn off the TPMS/flat tire light since there is NOT a sensor in the spare tire.

Mind you, it will not hurt to check spare tire pressure though since people typically forget about it until they need a spare. ha...

As for the ATEQ tools, the manufacture themselves make good tools though you could be getting yourself into a larger headache than needed unless you plan on swapping wheels and retaining sensors in both or frequent sensor relearning. Effectively speaking you'll need both this QuickSet tool AND the VT30/VT55 sensor trigger tool before even attempting to relearn sensors. This isn't guaranteeing that you replaced the correct sensor since it doesn't SEEM like there is a TPMS diagnostic feature for this (at least I haven't seen it). So that could be a big investment for little gain on one vehicle it seems. :/

As far as warranty, I'd highly doubt a tire sensor is under warranty now. Those are typically covered by the 3 year/36k mile warranty (which ever comes first). If you have an extended warranty, then this little tidbit of info may not apply to you... if not and you have only had your Honda dealer do the services to your vehicle or have a very good dealer you might be able to get it good-willed were Honda pays a percentage of the repair.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
i have 4yr/48k warranty.
im going to try and have them fix the issue as warranty if i buy four tires from them.
why should a sensor go before 50k miles? doesnt make sense to me.
i only bring the car to them for maintenance (which has just been oil, filters) so we have history. however, sears is running an awesome promo on tires, so if the dealership attempts to charge me i will make a stink first, amd if they dont budge take it to sears instead and work a deal with them.

i hate having a yellow light on the dash, its petty, but it pisses me off.
i take good care of the car, and these sensors seem impossible to get to without dealership tools, which means its a trap. or im insane, take your pick.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Americas tire replaced and set two of my sensors. They have them in stock and have the tools to set them up.

They broke them swapping them to wheels so they replaced them for free but just saying you don't NEED to go to the dealership if they won't cover it under warranty (the only reason I personally set foot in a dealership other than to buy the car lol)

Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Does the tire with the slow leak have fix a flat in it? I put some fix a flat (that was supposed to be good for TPMS sensors in mine once and got the same symptoms that you are describing. Had to get the sensor replaced.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by seanpatrickk
i have 4yr/48k warranty.
why should a sensor go before 50k miles? doesnt make sense to me
From intensively searching various forums regarding crappy TPMS, I've read that the majority of OEM sensors last from 35K to about 75k... but that doesn't explain how some members have their original sensors even after 100K miles. If I'm not mistaken the battery transmits only transmits a signal over about 28mpg (give or take), but not sure on how often it send a signal so that plays a huge role in life span, unless some tire mechanic messes up the sensors like in Wanderer's case.

Since you have the 4/48k warranty, they need to fix it.. iirc that's covered.
Also the ATEQ Quickset works... it has it quirks, but it does work... I don't use the triggering tool b/c I just use my compressor to inflate after deflate to "wake"/trigger the sensor. If you have multiple sets of wheels or winter/summer set ups and need to reprogram frequently it's great. But look in to those HDS HIM diagnostic systems... https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...view-info.html

Originally Posted by patm95
Does the tire with the slow leak have fix a flat in it? I put some fix a flat (that was supposed to be good for TPMS sensors in mine once and got the same symptoms that you are describing. Had to get the sensor replaced.
No "fix a flat" is safe for sensors.... not the foam, nor the Slime... Although they say so on the package. It sucks that it happened to you.

The best thing I recommend is a little $15 portable 12V compressor & a $10 plug kit (which will last you YEEEEEARS, unless you're off-road a lot.. lol)... if you don't know how to plug a tire then youtube it... it's extremely simple. I've plugged flats on the side of highways quite a few times. Come to think of it I should remove my spare since I've never had to use one in over 15+ years of carrying a plug kit/compressor... but knowing my luck I'll get a hole in the sidewall (you can not plug those, or atleast it's not safe to).

Oh, and I loathe TPMS too.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
TPMS annoys me. But I don't hate it.

For my wife, daughter, and son: "Oh they check the pressure when they change the oil! Why do I need to do it?" This is after I've told them several times. The majority of Americans are likely to take this attitude. Extremely low tire pressure is a leading cause of accidents.

I believe the wheel sensors use the wheel's motion to generate electricity. Users that have experimented with a static TPMS sensor in a pressure tube (I forget why now) found that it depleted its charge and the TPMS light came on after a few weeks. This is probably the reason they don't put them on spares (well, that and car makers are cheap).

It would have to be sending an "I'm alive" signal periodically or the system has no way to know it's in working order.

Why some last longer than others is probably a function of how much stress it's subjected to: either shock, temperature, or moisture. Compressed air can have a lot of water in it, unless there's a moisture trap on the compressor.

Last edited by Steve244; 01-14-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
I believe the wheel sensors use the wheel's motion to generate electricity.

It would have to be sending an "I'm alive" signal periodically or the system has no way to know it's in working order.

Just an FYI... our OEM sensors do have a battery in them. They definitely transmit over a certain mph (must be a rotational force triggering them).
They must also send a periodic signal as well, I'm wondering if it's timed, or what variable determine how often it sends a signal?

Users that have experimented with a static TPMS sensor in a pressure tube (I forget why now) found that it depleted its charge and the TPMS light came on after a few weeks. This is probably the reason they don't put them on spares (well, that and car makers are cheap).
The earlier TPMS systems (Infinity, Lexus for sure, and uncertain which other brands) worked based off this "pressure bomb" method. Which is why they were able to build that, placing all 4 sensors in the tube, pressurizing it, and putting it in the spare tire well. If it's built right it will take yeeeeears to deplete pressure... and even if it does, the better home-made ones added a valve to pump more air if needed.

Why some last longer than others is probably a function of how much stress it's subjected to: either shock, temperature, or moisture. Compressed air can have a lot of water in it, unless there's a moisture trap on the compressor.
Definitely, true for "damaged" sensors, but depending on the frequency of the signal transmission the battery could die before the sensor gets damaged.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Wiki confirms. (guessing we have the dTPMS system)

dunno about a periodic signal, the wiki doesn't talk about status checks. Maybe no signal over the MPH threshold is equivalent to a bad sender.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Wiki confirms. (guessing we have the dTPMS system)
I already confirmed... no need for wiki.

dunno about a periodic signal, the wiki doesn't talk about status checks. Maybe no signal over the MPH threshold is equivalent to a bad sender.
If the sensor was "always on" over ~28mph the battery would be dead really quick. Sending no signal would be the same as the car travelling under the threshold.

I've never found a definitive answer from Honda, TPMS manufacturers, nor owners/users regarding how often it sends a signal... I'd hate to think that it only sends out that one signal each time the car goes over 28mph. Owners have reported that the TPMS light went on while doing constant highway speeds, so it should be a periodic signal (unless those reports are less than accurate).

Old 01-14-2014, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
I already confirmed... no need for wiki.

If the sensor was "always on" over ~28mph the battery would be dead really quick. Sending no signal would be the same as the car travelling under the threshold.

I've never found a definitive answer from Honda, TPMS manufacturers, nor owners/users regarding how often it sends a signal... I'd hate to think that it only sends out that one signal each time the car goes over 28mph. Owners have reported that the TPMS light went on while doing constant highway speeds, so it should be a periodic signal (unless those reports are less than accurate).
oh yeah, I thought you meant a periodic status signal. I'm sure the pressure only gets sent once every 5 minutes or so. That's why driving a few miles after adjusting pressure is necessary before the low pressure warning light goes out.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
...That's why driving a few miles after adjusting pressure is necessary before the low pressure warning light goes out.
Distance has nothing to do with the sensor sending a signal... it's as soon as it's over ~28mph.

I had the TPMS light come on one time on my way to Home Depot (temps had dropped ~50 degrees in a 24hr span), after I was done shopping, I refilled the tires in the parking lot and drove to ~30mpg, The light went off before I even exited the parking lot.

That line "travel a few miles before the light goes out" is a huge misconception repeated by dealer servicemen/women & tire shops... it reminds me of the "red-light guarantee" which is I'll guarantee my work until you can't see my brake lights anymore (ie... once you leave there is no guarantee).

I truly believe basic car maintenance (refill tires, etc) should be a part of the drivers license test. At the very least people should be checking pressures monthly... we can thank Firestone & the Ford Explorer tire exploding fiasco for these TPMS laws..

Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe once every few seconds.

Yeah the one time mine was triggered, after filling the tire it went off after leaving the neighborhood (25mph limit).

On the GM car we had that had it, it registered standing still (readout of exact pressure on the DIC). Must've been 2-way rf on that one.

They asked a few question on the exam here (two teenagers) but without drilling it in it doesn't take. I've failed.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
"i loathe tpms"

add me to that list. along with anti lock brakes. the tpms light came on, now the anti locks are acting up. off to the dealership to repair gov mandated garbage.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by dlivry7
"i loathe tpms"

add me to that list. along with anti lock brakes. the tpms light came on, now the anti locks are acting up. off to the dealership to repair gov mandated garbage.
... that may save your life. If not from your driving, from someone else's.

Quick Reply: i loathe tpms