2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearended

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:32 AM
Mike410b - I agree, I would honestly prefer it be totaled out, but the guy at the repair shop sounded like it would hard for the damages to be over the value of the car, which is around $17K still. I'm more than a little stressed about it. I just bought that car in July, and now if its 'repaired' the value has gone down greatly, and who knows how it will drive.

fittmann - Its very possible. This girl was in her very early twenties as I found out, very goth (not that goth means someone is a bad driver, it was just odd to see death herself driving a 12 year old gold Hyundai Sonata) and although she said she was changing lanes, she could have also just veered over or something while just not looking at the road at all. Especially considering I had been slowing down for quite a while, seems she should have noticed that. I mean, I had slowed down to 55, and she said she was going 75.

Last edited by DeltaBond; 03-08-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
To total a car out, doesn't the damage only need be over half or 3/4 the value of the vehicle?

I'd ask your adjuster.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Ah, see, I didn't know that. This is all new to me, and I'm not complaining about that. Seems the med pay is even more confusing though, but at least someone else is paying for all this. Life would suck without insurance, ugh! It seems difficult to find the "äctual cash value" of a car online, but either way, Monday the adjuster and I both will be hearing what the rest of the damage is and calculations will be done, I imagine. For TN once you reach %75 of the car's value, that's supposed to be considered totaled. For a 2013 Fit Sport with 18K miles on it, the value ranges from $14,500 to $16,000. We're at $7K in damages so far - if it gets to $12K, I would imagine that is the mark of totaling the car.

Last edited by DeltaBond; 03-08-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeltaBond
Mike410b - I agree, I would honestly prefer it be totaled out, but the guy at the repair shop sounded like it would hard for the damages to be over the value of the car, which is around $17K still. I'm more than a little stressed about it. I just bought that car in July, and now if its 'repaired' the value has gone down greatly, and who knows how it will drive.

fittmann - Its very possible. This girl was in her very early twenties as I found out, very goth (not that goth means someone is a bad driver, it was just odd to see death herself driving a 12 year old gold Hyundai Sonata) and although she said she was changing lanes, she could have also just veered over or something while just not looking at the road at all. Especially considering I had been slowing down for quite a while, seems she should have noticed that. I mean, I had slowed down to 55, and she said she was going 75.
Just being the devils advocate here: it is possible that she decided to do a lane change and glanced in her blind spot as she changed lanes and as soon as she looked ahead, your car that had decelerated quickly was right in front of her? I know you should be looking straight ahead when doing a lane change but might have been lazy and checked her blind spot while she was changing lanes rather than before. I'm just sayin'.

I try and avoid stopping on the highway at all cost. When I get stuck in traffic, I throw on my hazard lights because I'm afraid of someone that's distracted noticing too late that the traffic ahead is at a dead stop. I once came across an accident on the highway, at night, with two black cars (airbags deployed) stopped completely sideways, blocking two lanes each with no lights on or reflectors (on the sides). I was driving in the right lane going 75 and there was a cement wall to my right. I noticed the first car at the last second and was able to veer to the left and avoid it and that put me right in line with the second car I avoided by veering to the right. Dunno what my braking was like but I'm sure ABS helped me out in my panic stop. Once I had cleared the second car, my speed was down from 75 to about 30 mph and being the Good Samaritan I am I was considering stopping to try and help. However, I remembered that i nearly struck the dark cars and had a hell of a time weaving around them and I figured a third car parked in the vicinity would just add to the chaos and make it even harder for drivers to avoid crashing into this wreck. Right as that thought entered my mind I saw a cop car with sirens blaring going the opposite way on the other side of the median so I figured help (and flares!) was on the way.

Anyway, people in Quebec tailgate all the time, you have to be very careful with your brakes. When someone tailgates me, sometimes I just let off the accelerator and get the to back off or pass me.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by MTLian
Just being the devils advocate here: it is possible that she decided to do a lane change and glanced in her blind spot as she changed lanes and as soon as she looked ahead, your car that had decelerated quickly was right in front of her? I know you should be looking straight ahead when doing a lane change but might have been lazy and checked her blind spot while she was changing lanes rather than before. I'm just sayin'.

I try and avoid stopping on the highway at all cost. When I get stuck in traffic, I throw on my hazard lights because I'm afraid of someone that's distracted noticing too late that the traffic ahead is at a dead stop. I once came across an accident on the highway, at night, with two black cars (airbags deployed) stopped completely sideways, blocking two lanes each with no lights on or reflectors (on the sides). I was driving in the right lane going 75 and there was a cement wall to my right. I noticed the first car at the last second and was able to veer to the left and avoid it and that put me right in line with the second car I avoided by veering to the right. Dunno what my braking was like but I'm sure ABS helped me out in my panic stop. Once I had cleared the second car, my speed was down from 75 to about 30 mph and being the Good Samaritan I am I was considering stopping to try and help. However, I remembered that i nearly struck the dark cars and had a hell of a time weaving around them and I figured a third car parked in the vicinity would just add to the chaos and make it even harder for drivers to avoid crashing into this wreck. Right as that thought entered my mind I saw a cop car with sirens blaring going the opposite way on the other side of the median so I figured help (and flares!) was on the way.

Anyway, people in Quebec tailgate all the time, you have to be very careful with your brakes. When someone tailgates me, sometimes I just let off the accelerator and get the to back off or pass me.
Her story is possible, she admitted going 75 in a 55. For whatever reason, she did not slow down or look ahead of her for long enough notice cars gradually slowing down and stopping. Either way, her insurance is admitting liability, and today I'll learn just how extensive the damages were and whether or not I'll get The Blue Scarab back.

Last edited by DeltaBond; 03-10-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Lovely, on the way home today, in the rental (still have not heard what the remainder of the damages are on my Fit) someone's wheel flew off on the interstate, it went about 20 feet in the air, everyone slowed down... but it hit the front of a KIA suv thing, smashing it and as I slowed down so none of those KIA bits hit my rental car, that wheel went straight under my front bumper. And I just HAD to opt out of the extra insurance on that styoopid rental. So my dude and I are ordering the replacement part for this Crysler 200, ugh, that I'm renting.

Luckily, Crysler is mostly junk and the replacement non-fog light cover was $17.

When will this end?? And just a message to my fellow Fit lovers on here, GET THE INSURANCE!

Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
I learned today that the damages ended up coming to $9000, so the car was not totaled out. The frame wasn't damaged at all, a complete miss, thankfully. I'll be getting it back on the 31st. Plenty of time to fix the damage on my rental, ha ha.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Two more weeks and out of the 200!

Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM
It will call for a celebration, definitely!!! I don't know why people buy Cryslers.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Why? Because it is backup for when the Fit won't go.

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  98.6 KB

Old 03-20-2014, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
My Fit was rearended also. I stopped in heavy stop-and-go traffic and the young guy behind me smacked me pretty hard. I was pushed into the car in front of me. The Fit needed a new bumper, repaired rear hatch, repaired front bumper, etc. $1900.

Commuting can be tough, but my little Fit is tougher.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Yeah, sad you had to repair both ends. I leave a LOT of room now at stops, ha ha.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM
I've had a Chrysler for three years and it's been a great car. Just been changing the oil and finally had to change tires at 70k miles lol Just don't get a mid 2000's... it took them a little bit to get their sh*t together. Anything before that definitely no too.

FWIW I DEFINITELY got an extended warranty on it though

I'm suprised they don't total out the car at 50%. Oh well, hope it's all back to normal when you get it back and no weird creaks or moans, best of luck!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Thanks, Wanderer, and I guess I'm just a snob about Honda. Everyone has their reasons for buying other cars, I'm just irritated that I'm having to drive a rental. This thing doesn't feel stable at highway speeds, which made me wonder.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Actually that doesn't surprise me, most American midsize sedans with big 4's or 6's and FWD aren't exactly confidence inspiring at speed from my few experiences with them. For example, I rented a Pontiac G6 V6 a long while ago and it had torque steer at highway speeds hahaha Same for my friend's Intrepid.

My wife has a 300 because she wanted it, she pays for it, so who am I to argue. It actually handles decently for an American 4000 lb RWD sedan, but I think the suspension was taken in part from Mercedes, so that might explain it. I never thought it'd be fun to drive but it kind of is, and the engine note is cool, but that might just be because i'm not used to big motors

Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeltaBond
Lovely, on the way home today, in the rental (still have not heard what the remainder of the damages are on my Fit) someone's wheel flew off on the interstate, it went about 20 feet in the air, everyone slowed down... but it hit the front of a KIA suv thing, smashing it and as I slowed down so none of those KIA bits hit my rental car, that wheel went straight under my front bumper. And I just HAD to opt out of the extra insurance on that styoopid rental. So my dude and I are ordering the replacement part for this Crysler 200, ugh, that I'm renting.

Luckily, Crysler is mostly junk and the replacement non-fog light cover was $17.

When will this end?? And just a message to my fellow Fit lovers on here, GET THE INSURANCE!
Sorry, coming to the party late, but assuming the rental was initially on your card (at least for contract purposes) your credit card may have rental car insurance included as a benefit. This covers what your insurance doesn't cover. This would be under your insurance's comprehensive rider first and then the credit card benefit (if it exists) 2nd.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by SBFT09
Curious, with that type of impact, did any airbags activate?
Airbag sensors are in the front.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Hope everyone is fine and with no medical issues from this hit. Your Ins Carrier should have a list of prefer shops. I will still search around and find out which shop around your town has the best reputation. Now, going to a prefer list shop from the insurance assures you to have warranty on the work for the life of the vehicle.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I get the car back on Monday - over a month after the wreck, but things have gone smoothly in the process. The collision repair shop owner even texted me a photo of the progress on the car. $9K in damage costs that the other driver's insurance has paid. I'll just be glad to have my blue scarab back.

And yeah, there were injuries, as it turned out. They're paying for my chiropractor visits, as well.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
They should also pay loss of value. this may be a few hundred or more. Some states it's automatic (GA), not sure about TN; you may have to ask.

Quick Reply: Rearended