2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New guy. New car.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 AM
New guy. New car.

Just wanted to say thanks for the information you all share about the various flavors of Fit.

My GF and I were on our way to test drive a Ford Focus and decided to stop at the Honda dealer on the way to check out the Fit. Glad we did. Test drove a '13 Sport in Midnight Plum Pearl. The 5MT was my only requirement. When we got in the car, it had 4 miles on it... it now has 1,440.

Initial thoughts in the first two weeks of ownership:

- The car is easy to drive and fun to drive - and it order to make it do it's thing, you have to DRIVE. Is it as fast as the 04 TL I traded in? Not even close... but the TL didn't require you to do anything but punch the pedal and steer - the 3.2 and 5-auto did the rest. The Fit says "DRIVE me, fat boy!!". So I do.

- As such, passing on a two lane road requires a plan. Something I haven't had to think about for a long time, but it still gets it done.

- First few tanks have been in the 33mpg range on 87... nice change from 24mpg on 93. I generally lug around town, but don't necessarily drive slow... must be my age, but I don't get a thrill any more racing mini-vans to the next intersection - yeah - might take me 8 seconds to get there and takes the van 15 - but all that means for me is more brake wear and a longer wait at the traffic light.

- Haven't found the car lacking in any way (except two) - low end torque is sufficient enough to lug around town in 5th gear. Top end and highway torque are pretty ideal for the car... the 4k-ish torque peak works well with a 4th gear passing maneuver.

- The first complaint I have - and it's just a matter of me dealing with the reality of it - the poor thing gets blown around by the wind on the highway in an almost comical fashion. This was a big factor in giving her the name "Purple Pop Can"

- The second complaint is also just a matter of getting used to it - the brakes are adequate, but don't have the stopping power I'm used to (again, coming off a TL, it'll take some time to adjust to the 'new normal')

- The Magic Seat and giant bay door on the back were big selling points to me... we already loaded it up on a Menards trip with a mailbox post, 6' 4x4 deck post, mailbox, and 4 3' sections of 20" shelving with room to spare. That wouldn't have happened in the previous car.

Anyway - no particular earth shattering plans for the car. I'm going to change out the factory fills of oil and transmission fluid with Amsoil at about 3K miles... then just change it when the light tells me to after that. Other than that, pretty much just planning to keep her clean and shiny (if the Ohio weather EVER cooperates). I'm also interested in these "3D mats" in another thread.

I have been eyeing maybe a different set of wheels for it. Going to put snows on the factory wheels when it turns cold again, but once I wear out the current tires, I think trying to reduce the un-sprung weight will be the next change on the books. Maybe changing over to a wider set and reducing the wheel diameter to 15" - again unsure... all theory right now.

Thanks for reading,

Dave

Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Fit!

My wife and I test drove a Focus and decided to purchase a Fit. You made a great choice. One recommendation for you; leave the factory fill in until the MM goes off for a change. Honda uses a special break-in oil.

Enjoy your Fit!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Hooray & Congrats!

Hooray! Another manual driver!! Congrats on your WISE choice!!
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Fit!

My wife and I test drove a Focus and decided to purchase a Fit. You made a great choice. One recommendation for you; leave the factory fill in until the MM goes off for a change. Honda uses a special break-in oil.

Enjoy your Fit!
Good to know about that bro! Thanks for the info. I also just purchased a new '13 Sport MR m/t. Just hit 1,350mi. Was gonna do the oil change myself once it hits 3k. Good thing i saw your post.

Congratulations on your new car OP! Great choice! Amazing car. Very frugal on gas. I average 36mpg with normal driving, around 40-41mpg when i milk her, and really mindful of my driving habits.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by th3poohdini1
Good to know about that bro! Thanks for the info. I also just purchased a new '13 Sport MR m/t. Just hit 1,350mi. Was gonna do the oil change myself once it hits 3k. Good thing i saw your post.
You're welcome!

Here's the information on Honda's owner's site:

Frequently Asked Questions | FAQ | Honda Owners Site

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks again 2012FitFan. Will keep these site on record just incase.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by fittmann
Hooray! Another manual driver!! Congrats on your WISE choice!!
'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!
I was lucky - the dealer had 4 manual Sports on the lot. Not to knock the auto, but seems like the i-VTEC makes a good mate to a manual. On the highway it acts like it could really stand a sixth gear, but there doesn't seem to be a negative impact to the MPG's even though she's turning 3500 or better.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, the Fit is quite sensitive to the wind. I was surprised the first time it got me. But if I'd wanted a tank, I'd have gotten something bigger.

It's good to be back in a small, low powered car again for me too. Godlike acceleration is really fun but none of that performance comes from me- and letting the car run free can get you in a lot of trouble. Having to plan passes is more satisfying than just stepping on the gas.