2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fate of my new Fit. Waiting for Insurance to adjust

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:56 AM
Unhappy Fate of my new Fit. Waiting for Insurance to adjust. Update: Totaled!

This is the fate of my 2013 Fit Sport with 3000 miles on it. Wife was making a left turn and was hit by a Cadillac coming straight and fast. The front wheel has collapsed (axle broken?)

So far insurance is giving me the run around and I am literally tearing my hair. This happened in Central Jersey.

This is my first ever claim with insurance in my life. Any idea what to expect?

Last edited by NotBonJovi; 05-09-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: updated heading
Old 05-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Ouch, that's not nice.
I don't know about insurance in the USA, but in South Africa when an airbag goes off on the lower end cars they generally write it off, the high end cars they might consider repairs.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by BrianKearsey
Ouch, that's not nice.
I don't know about insurance in the USA, but in South Africa when an airbag goes off on the lower end cars they generally write it off, the high end cars they might consider repairs.
Thanks for the response, BrianKearsey. I am saddened by the fact that the car had not been used much but I wish insurance would give me an answer either way, soon.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 AM
As I say in the States they might look at it different to here, but the airbags will be the most expensive part of the repair bill

Old 05-09-2014, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
From a couple adjusters that lurk here I think the damage has to be more than 50% to "total" it. That looks like less than $7,000 damage to my untrained eye.

Was this the fault of the other driver? If yes then start getting angry. They should have you in a rental car and be treating you like royalty to avoid lawsuits. If it's your wife's fault, then you might want to consider a different company next time round.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
From a couple adjusters that lurk here I think the damage has to be more than 50% to "total" it. That looks like less than $7,000 damage to my untrained eye.

Was this the fault of the other driver? If yes then start getting angry. They should have you in a rental car and be treating you like royalty to avoid lawsuits. If it's your wife's fault, then you might want to consider a different company next time round.
The front wheel's axle is broken and all airbags deployed. I am still waiting on the adjuster to hear a decision. Bummed that insurance is dragging their feet. The accident happened almost a week ago.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Taking a slam

Threaten to call in an attorney via registered mail.

Sorry about the wreck and glad your wife is okay.
My question is if your Fit is totaled will you buy another?
What would you do different in purchasing another Honda?

Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
I suffered through two wrecks in my 2012 F150, both the faults of other drivers. First thing to know to provide any advice - who was at fault, were the police called for a report, and if you have received an estimate from a body shop yet.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow, that's going to be an expensive fix. the a-pillar damage (if bent or not) and the front/side airbag cost could determine whether your car is totalled or not. rest of the damage doesnt look too bad though. door and mirrors, glass, fenders, axle, suspension, wheels, headlight, bumper, etc. all replaceable.

easily over 10K in repairs probably.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Just now heard from insurance.
The car has been totaled!

Old 05-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Going 2015 then?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by 1Gr8GE8
Going 2015 then?
Still digesting the fact.
What do you guys recommend? Is 2015 (mexican made) good?

Btw, my 2013 was 100% made in Japan per the window sticker when I bought it.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear that it is totaled. That way you won't have to worry about getting it repaired. I'd be really tempted to get a 2015 if I were you. But the fact that they are delaying the release makes me wonder if there are quality assurance issues.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NotBonJovi
Just now heard from insurance.
The car has been totaled!
Not surprised the car is totalled. Now someone is gonna fix that up on the cheap and try and sell it for 10 000 + to a poor unsuspecting sucker. That's why I'm not keen on salvage titles.

I dunno how much each airbag costs but the airbag computer must be changed whenever they deploy and I believe that's a couple grand right there. Car doors are also pretty pricey and it probably will never shut right again and you'd be at risk of developing problems in the future or with the wheel that would have been repaired.

If you are a glass half full kinda guy then I guess you'll be glad you are getting a new car. Although it is more expensive, I'd consider the ford Fiesta ST. Looks like a great car with much more power than the fit.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
are you going through your insurance? if you are, you'll probably be responsible for your deductible up front and they will pursue the responsible party for it and reimburse you later after the subrogation process has been complete which won't be until they've paid for everything for you and the other driver is found at fault. although you'll have to front your deductible, going through your own insurance if there is any type of liability dispute will be the quickest way to put this all behind you.

If you're going through the other persons insurance, they won't pay for anything until liability has been determined and accepted which can cause delays and make the entire process drag on.

insurance owes ACV (actual cash value) so you're probably over financed (owe more for the vehicle then its "worth") so i hope you have gap insurance if you financed. actual cash value is normally determined by similar make, model, options, vehicle condition, and mileage IN YOUR AREA. most insurance companies don't use KBB so expect a more realistic/lower number when they settle. If the cars at an auto body shop/tow yard, you'll probably wanna move it to a storage free location as well to avoid any storage fees that may be passed onto you. the insurance companies normally have storage yards and will move it for you.

if you financed:
your gonna need to provide the insurance carrier your lien holders information including your loan/account number associated to it. They'll contact your lien holder and obtain a payoff (normally a 10 day pay off). If you're over financed, they'll need a letter of guarantee from your lien holder signed stating they will release the title to the insurance company even though they are not paying the full balance which lien holders can take 24-72 hours to send back to them. your insurance most likely won't pay until they obtain that at least. any balance would be for your gap carrier to address and if you don't have gap insurance, between you and the bank.

they'll also probably need you to complete a power of attorney (by whoever is on the title as an owner unless its an "OR" title) so that when they receive the title from the lien holder, they can sign it over to their name and sell whats left as "salvage" in an attempt to recoup some, although very little, back of what they paid out. depending on the state, the power of attorney may need to be notarized.

*If for some reason the ACV is more then what you owe, you will still have to complete the above steps but after the lien holder is paid, whatever is left will be paid directly to you as equity

if you own the vehicle:
you'll need to print your name in the sellers portion of your title EXACTLY as it appears on the front of the title (if its an "AND" title both parties will have to print and sign, if its and "OR" title, only one of the named parties will have to complete it). sign in the sellers portion, and complete the odometer reading at the least, being sure to check the "MILES" box and the correct box indication if the mileage is actual or non-actual. depending on the state, the title may need to be completed in front of a notary.

just be aware that a check probably won't be cut until the vehicle is in the insurance carriers possession and all the required paperwork has been rcvd. hope that helps.

*theDirtiest

Last edited by DirtyMcDirt; 05-10-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
It never pays to try and beat the other guy when making a left turn.

So which insurance company is paying? Yours or other driver.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 AM
2015 Fit available now!

Originally Posted by patm95
Glad to hear that it is totaled. That way you won't have to worry about getting it repaired. I'd be really tempted to get a 2015 if I were you. But the fact that they are delaying the release makes me wonder if there are quality assurance issues.

The 2015 Honda Fit was released in the US on April 14, 2014 and is available on dealer lots now. I test drove one in Schaumburg IL, love the redesign and added tech features!! Would highly recommend!!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 PM
If the left turn was directed by a turn signal then the car going straight was at fault, otherwise the the car turning shoulders most if not all the blame in a 'fault' state.

So I understand, though I am not an authority in any way.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:14 PM
@MTLian - I don't like the rear view of the Ford Fiesta which is why I chose the Fit over it. The Fiesta is probably a better car, but the limited rear visibility kills it for me.

@DirtyMcDirt - Thanks for all the useful info.

@Black3sr - My insurance company is paying. The other car was also totaled.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by patm95
Any guesstimate on when the 2015 would be available at the dealers?

Quick Reply: Fate of my new Fit. Waiting for Insurance to adjust