2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Drivers side rear speaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Question Drivers side rear speaker

I need some advice/suggestions from you guys. So long story short I had an aftermarket head unit installed by a third party shop associated with the Honda dealership I purchased my Fit from. I just noticed that the drivers side rear speaker has no sound coming out of it. Unfortunately I've moved across the country so there's no way I can have the shop repair it.

I did bring my car into the local Honda dealership where I am now to inquire about the speaker and they said they'd look at it. It turns out the speaker was actually damaged so they went ahead and replaced it since it was under warranty, but they couldn't touch the head unit since it's aftermarket.

I'd like to somehow get the rear speaker working again. My initial thought was to verify the wires in the back of the speaker, but since Honda recently removed the speaker I figure I should actually start at the dash. What do you recommend for my approach? Is there a way to do this by maybe going through the glove box, or will I need to pull of the entire dash? If it's the dash, are there instructions on screw placement etc so I don't do too much damage?

I also found this thread which kind of shows a similar process: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ius-radio.html

Last edited by sandz; 05-09-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Link to thread
Old 05-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Alright so here's the update. I went ahead and pulled out the head unit instead. There was a mess in there, plus 2 wiring harnesses that weren't even used (wtf?) so I pulled those out. When i mapped the wires using this updated wiring diagram/ as the other diagrams on here look to be for 2008 Fits.

In fact, when looking at the rear speaker list it validated the chart in the link:
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Orange

I traced the wires and everything looked solid. When I reinstalled the head unit I still only have sound out of 3 speakers! I messed with the fade etc to make sure it was still out. Now I guess this leaves me with the only option of removing the rear speaker and poking around.