2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadtest: ??? vs Honda Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Roadtest: ??? vs Honda Fit

ok it's slow at work, slow on the board. Don't feel like doing anything with the former so here's a meaningless topic (really, who compares a midsize sedan to an economy hatch?).

Wife's/son's Toyota is down for the 4th time with the same problem so the Toyota dealer sprang for a rental. Son couldn't drive it (under 21) so I just finished 3 days with a '12 Altima 2.5S while he drove my car.

'12 Altima 2.5S 57,000 miles on the car (Hertz)
Initially I was pleased with the larger seats, quieter cabin, better air conditioning and was beginning to fantasize about trading on a new Altima.

Right from the beginning it was remarkable how quickly the A/C cooled the larger car, and how cold it was able to get the cabin in less than a minute. This is the Fit's major drawback.

The seating seemed more comfortable at first, but maybe this is more because it was just different. After 3 days I found the seat ergonomics less pleasing. The feeling of sitting lower bothered me (if you own a Fit you know what I'm talking about). Cabin materials were a mix of higher quality plastic with the same quality plastic as on the Fit. It didn't make it seem any more luxurious than the Fit. Remote mirrors seemed designed poorly, they wouldn't adjust much (maybe they've been abused) and weren't very big. Visibility wasn't bad, but not great through mirrors/windows.

Power from the Altima's 4-banger was effectively transmitted through its CVT giving the car the feeling of being in just-the-right gear all the time. This was an interesting sensation. Accelerating up on-ramps was less dramatic than in the Fit, the Altima scores for having more available power in all speeds even with the small 4 cylinder (what is it 2.5L?). Brakes are more sensitive requiring less pedal pressure to stop. Fuel mileage from the Altima was 24mpg over the 3 days I had it. This drive in the Fit nets 30mpg. While it seems large, That's only about $400 per year ($33/month) fuel cost difference driving 13,000 miles/yr. Is it worth it?

Keyless starting is fun, but I'm not sure it saves any time. I guess if you have a cavernous purse and don't want to go mining for keys every time you drive somewhere is a plus. I don't have big pockets.

09 Fit Base 71,000 miles
Getting back in the Fit this morning (after quickly adjusting the mirrors/seat/steering-wheel) inserting the key and cranking for the extra second it felt better than the Altima.

The cabin isn't much noisier. The car felt much tighter and precise, more sure footed. Transmission shifts weren't as pronounced as I remembered; it shifted competently. Brakes felt more controllable. Visibility was much better and I didn't miss the added cabin space; the Fit's interior feels less confining, probably all the glass. A/C worked well (ok it still isn't as fast). Smells better too.

Conclusion: A 3 day test drive in a car that should have outclassed the Fit in every category had me feeling glad to be back in my Honda. Be careful what you lust for.

Share your unmatched comparisons!

Old 07-03-2014, 06:26 PM
About a week and a half ago, I rented an Altima of the same vintage ('12 or '13 I think). On the whole, my take was somewhat similar.

A/C in the Altima was fine. However, up here in Vermont, it's a rare day that I need A/C in any car, so I can't say I precisely could compare.

I wasn't too fond of the keyless start; didn't seem overly useful, though I suppose I could get used to it eventually. Certainly not a great advantage, nor necessarily a great disadvantage.

Visibility from the Altima was pretty horrible IMHO. The high beltline and shape of the rear pillars cuts out a surprisingly big swath of area that basically can't be seen. I think low cars on the righthand side could be completely invisible in a blind spot check look. This, more than anything else, would have prevented me from buying an Altima if I had looked at one. I wouldn't call the Fit's visibility great, but it is much better than the Altima and likely a bunch of other contemporary cars.

The drivetrain worked fine, and gave perfectly decent milage. The brakes were a bit touchier than the Fit's and worked well. There were a few odd noises, whether from the transmission or from noisy rear tires I couldn't really tell, but that's probably as much a result of it being a rental as anything. Interior space was decent (the back seat looked not too uncomfortable), and the trunk is quite spacious.

Oh, and the inside of the windows—especially the back window—was filthy when I picked it up. I don't think that's the car's fault. All in all, it was acceptable for rented transportation and served to get me where I needed to go, but I didn't feel even the slightest bit of buyer's remorse.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 PM
'14 Hyundai Accent

Got one of these as a rental for a work trip. I was a little excited to drive it if only because I haven't really driven a Hyundai since their big "bounce back" and wanted to see what they'd been up to.

First getting into the car, I was excited to see satellite radio. Then I looked around at the rest of the interior and laughed a little. This is like the most basic plastic interior you can think of, it just reeked of cheap. The nicest thing in there was the head unit, which had sat, radio, cd and bluetooth. I didn't use the bluetooth just because I was listening to the sat radio since i'm a deprived person and have never had it. Visibility was ok, there was a little blind spot in the back corner like most new cars have these days, but nothing I couldn't see around with the mirrors. The Fit's interior feels at least like they tried a little bit to make it look nice. Of course the Fit won in cargo and interior space, the Accent was a sedan.

My initial driving impressions... well... it does everything it needs to with the least amount of drama and the least amount of fun possible. The traction control is pretty intrusive. I'm pretty sure this is because of the skinny, cheap tires they had on it. I turned it off every time I got in the car. The motor feels more torquey than the Fit's off the line, but that's about it. Everywhere else it felt like a dog. I'm not sure if this is because i'm used to M/T (this was an A/T) or if the gears are long, but pretty much every time I tried accelerating from cruising or a roll I thought "god this is so slow". Steering is neither tight nor loose, it's just there. Road noise... same as the Fit or worse. It may have been the tires to blame though. I didn't check MPG, I didn't care because I wasn't paying for it.

Overall, for the money, it's a car that you can drive anywhere with the highest amount of anonymity possible outside of a Corolla, with the least amount of drama possible. For point A to B while talking on your cellphone through the bluetooth and saving money to pay for your college dorm, it is perfect. Do not for a minute think this car is anything like the Fit when you're cross shopping B segment cars. It is cheap, it is bland, and it gets the job done, and that is all.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:31 PM
'14 Prius c 3 vs. '12 Fit Sport

My husband's '14 Prius c is a nice car, but doesn't have the flavor my '12 Fit Sport has

It's a "3" trim level, out of 4.

The mileage is amazing. 50MPG+ in town, around 48MPG on long freeway trips.

It's slooooooooooooooooooow, way slower than our old Camry Hybrid. The CVT makes the engine sound like it is always about to explode it when in fact the car is not accelerating quickly. On mountain passes, it's terrifying to try to overtake someone, so we just stopped trying. Saves gas.

The handling doesn't feel "tight" the way my Fit does, it's a little mushy. The brakes are regenerative and very aggressive.

The A/C is much more powerful and efficient than my Fit's. The car is also a bit quieter at speed. The seats are nice but overall it's pretty cramped inside compared to the Fit. If there's more than two people in the car, it's much more comfortable to take the Fit, and we are not tall. It's also not as foldy as the Fit.

It has bluetooth speakerphone and a touchscreen, two things my Fit doesn't have, but the touchscreen is not great (doesn't always register touches; shows smudges quite visibly; is dim even at its highest brightnes). The speakerphone function works very well.

Toyota has their app suite thingy called Entune, which is sort of weird and doesn't always work right. It's also confusing because it mostly works without the phone plugged in for things like Pandora and the integrated GPS, but if you want to do other smartphone stuff and you have an iPhone, you have to plug it in.

Overall, it's a great car, but it's for a different market than the Fit. It's a great little commuter car that can hold people and (some) stuff in a pinch, but it's not a cargo swallower or a people hauler like the Fit is. And it's just not as much fun.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:05 AM
2015 Base Mini Cooper vs 2012 Honda Fit Sport

Both have Automatics.

I have about 30k miles on the Fit, I have upgraded the brake pads/shoes as well as added a sway bar and better tires. It handles sporty, but is not quite that sporty. The brakes feel much better than from the factory, but are a still a little bit on the weak side.
I've owned the fit for 2 years now and I quite enjoy it. The seats are comfy, the layout is simple and easy to read and the interior is quite functional. With the rear seats down I can "fit" the world! While I have gotten as good as 42 on a long distance trip (1800 miles) at 70-75 miles MPH, once you hit 80-85, the care stumbles to about 33mpg.
Acceleration isn't what i would call quick or even adequate, its just a little slow.

The Mini is quite fun, even with 15" tires, it handles quite well, stops quite well and is a joy to drive. The seats are supportive and comfortable. The controls, while accessable, are confusing and kinda a pain to figure out.
The interior is better than any Fit would ever have, but the rear seats are only for show... (the fit are quantum leaps better). A drivers seat arm rest is optional and cost about 500-700 with how you order it.
With the rear seats down, there is quite a bit of room in the mini, but it won't win any space awards.
In the end, the Mini is a fun, sporty, nimble car. It handles quite well and stops insanely quick, gets good gas milage and is somewhat useful. But it carries either people or stuff, but not both. Plus the base cost is about 23k with minimal options.

The fit wins the utility award hands down, while the handling is not nearly as good, it does quite well for it modest cost.

I will keep my Fit and upgrade all the exterior lights to LEDS soon.
good luck!
-Bis

Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Great posts! I love reading threads like this because it makes me even happier about my choice of the Fit even when all my buddies are making fun of it. They're just jealous.

-Dustin

Old 07-05-2014, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I keep coming back to what I would get to replace it. Given my use, 95% commuter pod/weekend grocery getter and home depot delivery van, there really isn't any better option (except maybe a 2015 fit). If I were on the road for a living I'd be looking for a larger car.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by The Fitness
My husband's '14 Prius c is a nice car, but doesn't have the flavor my '12 Fit Sport has

It's a "3" trim level, out of 4.

The mileage is amazing. 50MPG+ in town, around 48MPG on long freeway trips.

It's slooooooooooooooooooow, way slower than our old Camry Hybrid. The CVT makes the engine sound like it is always about to explode it when in fact the car is not accelerating quickly. On mountain passes, it's terrifying to try to overtake someone, so we just stopped trying. Saves gas.

The handling doesn't feel "tight" the way my Fit does, it's a little mushy. The brakes are regenerative and very aggressive.

The A/C is much more powerful and efficient than my Fit's. The car is also a bit quieter at speed. The seats are nice but overall it's pretty cramped inside compared to the Fit. If there's more than two people in the car, it's much more comfortable to take the Fit, and we are not tall. It's also not as foldy as the Fit.

It has bluetooth speakerphone and a touchscreen, two things my Fit doesn't have, but the touchscreen is not great (doesn't always register touches; shows smudges quite visibly; is dim even at its highest brightnes). The speakerphone function works very well.

Toyota has their app suite thingy called Entune, which is sort of weird and doesn't always work right. It's also confusing because it mostly works without the phone plugged in for things like Pandora and the integrated GPS, but if you want to do other smartphone stuff and you have an iPhone, you have to plug it in.

Overall, it's a great car, but it's for a different market than the Fit. It's a great little commuter car that can hold people and (some) stuff in a pinch, but it's not a cargo swallower or a people hauler like the Fit is. And it's just not as much fun.
I really liked this one, particularly because when I started car shopping I had my heart set on the Prius c (hopefully the 3 trim level as well) until I started test driving. the fit isn't without its quirks, but the insane amount of flexibility with its cargo space, and the fact that its comfortable in all seats for me at just over 6 feet tall is fantastic. I bought my 2013 base model back in may and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far, looking forward to many, many years to come

Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Why does everyone complain about the Fits AC? Mine is freaken freezing inside, its 108 in Vegas right now, humid cause it just rained and it had no trouble cooling the cabin quickly and very cold. I had to turn the dial down a notch after a few mins. I dont know if they changed the AC system in the Fit for newer ones but i have ZERO complaints about the AC in my Fit. In fact the worst AC i been around is my friends moms 2013 Sienna, good lords that took forever to barely cool the cabin, and this was in typical LA summer about 92degree outside...i cant imagine it in the blazing summer of Vegas.

Add to edit:

I was cross shopping alot of other cars lately to replace the Fit but none cant meet its price point, space and purpose. I looked at the new Mazda 3 Hatchback but it cant do or fit nearly as much as my smaller Fit and cant fit my bikes inside either. The interior is far better quality and it IS a bit quieter but $20k for less utility and slightly better mpg ratings and more power still wasnt worth the extra cost. It does handle dandy though, every bit as good as the Fit. I simply wanted soemthing with equal utility but with slightly more refinement and power, still haven't found what i was as looking for....although not as good mpg (im sure) The Mazda CX5 did intrigue me in a 6 speed MT form.

Last edited by Mini_Odyssey; 07-06-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Honda might have tweaked the A/C on later years, but also I think it is in "economy mode" when the ambient temps are below 95F. This is most of the time in the southeast. When the weather is above 95F (it was 105, 2 years ago for a couple days) the A/C performed well.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Honda might have tweaked the A/C on later years, but also I think it is in "economy mode" when the ambient temps are below 95F. This is most of the time in the southeast. When the weather is above 95F (it was 105, 2 years ago for a couple days) the A/C performed well.
I think the biggest thing working against the A/C on the 2013's and down is all the glass area. Even with tinted windows there's still a ton of heat coming in through all the glass. I'm sure the larger body panel to glass area in the new Fit's really helps in this area.

-Dustin

Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 AM
I've seen the Fit's A/C more like an ON/OFF switch... it doesn't work that well on 1 and 2 but if you crank it up to 3 or 4 it gets REALLY cold in the cabin. I had a friend in the car recently that likes it frigid all the time and had to ask her if I could PLEASE turn it down a notch.

Also +1 on the glass. I've got a coworker with a black Fit and you will always find us huddled together parked under any possible shade we can find in the parking lot.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
I find the black dashboard to be the biggest issue. It gets hot in the sun, even with the AC on. I plan to get a grey dash mat sometime for it.

My car comparison is unfair. My other car is a 1990 Miata set up for autocross. It outdoes the fit in feel, fi ish, driving dynamics and ride comfort. I much prefer the seats in the Fit though. Road noise and rattles the Fit wins, but it is 21 years younger! I did get to ride in the rear seat in my Fit for a 3 hour drive recently (coming back from.a.weekend trip, a freind drove half of it). I am impressed with rear seat space and comfort. I am 5'11 and 230lbs and I was comfortable back there.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
no no, this thread is all about unfair comparisons. The back seat of Fits > Miata back seats.

I forced my son to buy a '95 Miata when he was looking for a car. Best under $4K purchase you can make, I think. We've had fun molesting it together.

timing-belt/hla renewal:

the first cut is the deepest:

Last edited by Steve244; 07-09-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Bisquick
2015 Base Mini Cooper vs 2012 Honda Fit Sport

{snip}
I test-drove a 2009 Mini Countryman before I bought my 2011 Fit Sport. The Countryman had a cushy interior, but it felt cramped (and I'm not a big guy by any means), and the rear visibility was horrible -- like trying to see through a paper towel tube.