2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash! Help on Parts CAPA CERTIFIED vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Unhappy Crash! Help on Parts CAPA CERTIFIED vs OEM

So sad Fit! I was hit by another driver over the weekend. Everyone is ok thankfully. A good chunk of the damage was in the front right corner, and some on the back right with some nice scars along the way. The car is currently at the body shop and there are about 3 components, I think the right fender, right headlight and right fog light, that they want to use CAPA certified parts as replacements. I talked to my insurance company and they will not pay for OEM if there is a CAPA certified part available, but will not stop me from buying OEM at my expense (of course). The estimated difference is about $200. Is OEM worth that much? Anyone have experience with CAPA certified parts? I read so much average to not good stories from the past 10yrs. Leaks, misalignment, harder to install, quality issues, poor crash test results, etc. I am leaning towards forking over the money for the difference. The bulk rest of the repairs are being paid by the other persons insurance. Thoughts would be appreciated!! Thank you!!

Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Was it the other driver's fault? I think you can require Honda parts. If they give you a hard time, call your insurance company; they may be able to help negotiate. You can always threaten to call in a lawyer, but this may delay repairs. If the other driver's fault, they should pay for a rental car while yours is being fixed, and any other expenses you incur. Also they are liable to pay for loss of value, cash to you above the cost of repair to compensate for diminished value resulting from the wreck, no matter how well repaired. (Wisconsin may not allow this)

Other than googling it CAPA doesn't mean anything to me. Aftermarket parts are generally not quite as good as OE Honda.

If your insurance is paying then $200 doesn't seem like a lot for peace of mind. I'd pay it if I were you.

Last edited by Steve244; 08-07-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shake
So sad Fit! I was hit by another driver over the weekend. Everyone is ok thankfully. A good chunk of the damage was in the front right corner, and some on the back right with some nice scars along the way. The car is currently at the body shop and there are about 3 components, I think the right fender, right headlight and right fog light, that they want to use CAPA certified parts as replacements. I talked to my insurance company and they will not pay for OEM if there is a CAPA certified part available, but will not stop me from buying OEM at my expense (of course). The estimated difference is about $200. Is OEM worth that much? Anyone have experience with CAPA certified parts? I read so much average to not good stories from the past 10yrs. Leaks, misalignment, harder to install, quality issues, poor crash test results, etc. I am leaning towards forking over the money for the difference. The bulk rest of the repairs are being paid by the other persons insurance. Thoughts would be appreciated!! Thank you!!
I'm not cetain about WI but I believe you need to change insurance carriers if they expect your repairs to be not OEM parts. Check with an attorney. Many will not charge you for simple advice especially if they see a case representing you against them where he can get paid well. Not if it was your fault, all bets are off except changing insurance carrier.The other insurance company is paying the bulk and yours is paying some? Siomething not right here. Did you get part of the blame?

Last edited by mahout; 08-07-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by mahout
I'm not cetain about WI but I believe you need to change insurance carriers if they expect your repairs to be not OEM parts. Check with an attorney. Many will not charge you for simple advice especially if they see a case representing you against them where he can get paid well. Not if it was your fault, all bets are off except changing insurance carrier.The other insurance company is paying the bulk and yours is paying some? Siomething not right here. Did you get part of the blame?
OH no no, they are paying for all of it. I did not get any blame for the accident. I was just saying that if I chose the 3 OEM parts vs the 3 CAPA parts on their estimate, the insurance company says I need to pay it.

Last edited by shake; 08-08-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Was it the other driver's fault? I think you can require Honda parts. If they give you a hard time, call your insurance company; they may be able to help negotiate. You can always threaten to call in a lawyer, but this may delay repairs. If the other driver's fault, they should pay for a rental car while yours is being fixed, and any other expenses you incur. Also they are liable to pay for loss of value, cash to you above the cost of repair to compensate for diminished value resulting from the wreck, no matter how well repaired. (Wisconsin may not allow this)

Other than googling it CAPA doesn't mean anything to me. Aftermarket parts are generally not quite as good as OE Honda.

If your insurance is paying then $200 doesn't seem like a lot for peace of mind. I'd pay it if I were you.
Yup they are covering a rental as well. Just won't cover the 3 part CAPA vs OEM price difference. Seems silly at this point, since most of the repair items will be repaired/new OEMs,... with just those 3 items that they mentioned would be CAPA approved. I questioned them on it a few times. They just keep quoting its as good as OEM, same standards, lifetime warranty, etc.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:52 AM
Any aftermarket oem replica will have fitment issues & be of less quality. I would continue to demand they use oem parts which there ins. should pay for, I've never heard of CAPA that's possibly a regional thing. What color is your fit?

Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
First who's insurance company is forcing you to use CAPA parts? If it is not yours, then you have to option of having you car fixed by your company under your collision coverage and paying your deductible. Then your company will subrogate against the other company to get their and your money back. I am thinking that I know the name of the insurance company. I have had those problems before and always got my deductible back after a few months.

That said I have used CAPA certified parts on vehicles that I fixed for myself and the money was coming out of my pocket. I have had no problems with those parts at all.

CAPA is an organization out of Washington DC (I believe) that certifies after market replacement parts.

Good luck on your decision. It is only money and you can not take it with you.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
As it's the other person's fault and not your insurance paying for it, you dictate the terms, not them.

Talk to a lawyer. Their fees will also be paid by the other guys insurance.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by ArchaicAP2
Any aftermarket oem replica will have fitment issues & be of less quality. I would continue to demand they use oem parts which there ins. should pay for, I've never heard of CAPA that's possibly a regional thing. What color is your fit?

CAPA certified is supposed some "high quality" aftermarket part. But I have not heard great things about it. Mainly its a nice alternative for insurance companies + body shops when fixing accident damage. I am not sure where it is more come regionally though. It sounded nationwide.

It is a Vortex Blue Pearl fit!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by n9cv
First who's insurance company is forcing you to use CAPA parts? If it is not yours, then you have to option of having you car fixed by your company under your collision coverage and paying your deductible. Then your company will subrogate against the other company to get their and your money back. I am thinking that I know the name of the insurance company. I have had those problems before and always got my deductible back after a few months.

That said I have used CAPA certified parts on vehicles that I fixed for myself and the money was coming out of my pocket. I have had no problems with those parts at all.

CAPA is an organization out of Washington DC (I believe) that certifies after market replacement parts.

Good luck on your decision. It is only money and you can not take it with you.
Both me and the other person happen to have Geico, which i thought would make things easier. And CAPA parts do have good fitment like you said, its just not all the time from what I have read.

Should I talk to the Assessor again and mention its lawyer time? I already asked for a formal quote from the body shop for all OEM parts so that I can review.

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, I'd talk to the assessor and indicate you're thinking about lawyering up. Be prepared to do it though. I'd also ask about compensation for "diminished value." That should speed their response in your favor.

Having the same insurance company as the person who hit you explains why they're taking advantage of you. Don't let them. They're fools to argue about $200 if that's all it takes for your satisfaction.

The state bar will recommend a lawyer. (link) Most will give you a free consultation, but start charging after 30 minutes. I'm not sure what the going rate is for ambulance chasers these days but $250/hr is probably low. If possible get them to agree to bill the insurance company; the other person should pay your legal fees.

I'd also look for a different insurance company.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
OH no no, they are paying for all of it. I did not get any blame for the accident. I was just saying that if I chose the 3 OEM parts vs the 3 CAPA parts on their estimate, the insurance company says I need to pay it.
In talking with my insurance troops they aren't familiar with CAPA; just what is their certification based on? dimensional accuracy? shape? or just cheaper? especially if they come from offshore.
Insurance companies OWE you repairs that are OEM parts. You shouldn't pay for non OEM regardless.
If you make it an issue be aware your rates may increase or worse.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
uh, mahout, the other person is at fault. They happen to have the same insurance company (Geico) as the OP but that shouldn't matter.

The OP should make an issue and switch companies if this is how Geico responds when the other driver is at fault.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
uh, mahout, the other person is at fault. They happen to have the same insurance company (Geico) as the OP but that shouldn't matter.

The OP should make an issue and switch companies if this is how Geico responds when the other driver is at fault.
So far no luck with Geico. I talked to the assessor and the assessors boss and they both stand behind these CAPA parts because they are made to the same standards and lhave a lifetime guarantee.

I told them if you go to a store and want Oreos, there are Nabisco Oreos and there are Misc. Brand Dunkers, they can look and feel the same, maybe even taste similar, but they are not the same. If my car was an Oreo before the crash, I want it to be an Oreo after the crash. The Assessors boss either didn't understand or didn't care what I was saying. "They are the same part, they are the same part" After a while, I just said ok, we are just going to have to disagree on that because I feel they are different.

The difference in estimates came out to about $100 more for the OEM quote. So I told Geico, would you rather leave your customer dissatisfied or lose them altogether because of 100$? The assessors boss again said, I don't know any other insurance company that doesn't use CAPA parts, they are the same part, etc, if we we agreed to every customers demand where would we be, plus it says (somewhere in the policy) the use of alternative parts just like all insurance companies. I just said I think you just answered my question.

If nothing else, I am going to see if there is a customer service manager at Geico. Geico has dropped the ball multiple times during this accident. They failed to schedule a tow for 4 days(even though they told me twice, oh its going out today/oh its scheduled to be picked up today), it took me hounding them every day for to get it done. The assessor was always preoccupied and told me how busy he was every time I called. Both the Assessor and Assessors boss showed a lack of concern. Plus, the rental from Enterprise is not clean by any standard. I get the feeling more and more that they are not helping me get my car back, they are trying to cut cost.(of course, I know) I feel like they are treating me like a second rate person after I was the one who was hit by someone else. All for maybe $100? really?

customer (dis)service???

Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Maybe why geico cant decide whether to use a pig or gecko.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wow, another reason why NOT to use geico. that's rediculous. 15min can gain you headaches.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
wow, another reason why NOT to use geico. that's rediculous. 15min can gain you headaches.
Agreed! Even after talking about leaving Geico and customer dissatisfaction, the boss was not engaged whatsoever. Sigh. The price I might (at this rate, will) have to pay for OEM!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Agreed! Even after talking about leaving Geico and customer dissatisfaction, the boss was not engaged whatsoever. Sigh. The price I might (at this rate, will) have to pay for OEM!

Update, I talked to the boss of the boss of the assessor. I explained the situation and he said he had to make a few calls to see what he can do etc etc. The assessor called me about 20mins later and told me about their new offer. Instead of the replacing the bumper with a new OEM, they will replace with a reconditioned grade A bumper, savings of about 30$ and they will pay the balance (~120) to keep it all OEM. It will be a grade A reconditioned part so I think that will be fine? Right?? lol.

In short, I will not have to pay anything extra and I don't get any aftermarket parts. I think that's the closest thing to a win I will find. Esp, after 5 days of being stubborn and practically getting stonewalled. lol.

I am tired of driving around in this Cruze LT, I want my car back!

One more thing, I definitely appreciate this forum to help fuel my fire!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Last edited by shake; 08-11-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wtf is wrong with geico? f- them. after you get your car fixed, change insurance companies.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 PM
Any suggestions on new insurance companies?! I got a mini guilt trip from the body shop about the OEM money when i was picking up the car too, gag.

Quick Reply: Crash! Help on Parts CAPA CERTIFIED vs OEM