2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Difficult Cold Start: Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Difficult Cold Start: Throttle Body

Less than 23k on my '13 Fit. I have noted problems with cold starts on the forum before. The car takes too long to turn over. Seems worse as the weather here gets cooler. Now, I'm thinking I might try to fix it by cleaning the throttle body (though the low milage makes be doubt this as a remedy).

Can anyone throw up a Service Manual diagram of the engine that would show a throttle body removal?

Thanks.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
More likely the battery is getting weak than the throttle body.
the battery is pretty small capacity in the FIT so it does not take much aging to
really affect power output.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:12 PM
I have the link to the online manual but this is not the greatest help... Link: Honda Jazz / Honda Fit GE8 2009 onwards Online Repair Manual I'm no expert by any means but a dirty throttle body seems strange. I had mine off to get at the valves and sparks and it was spotless (120,000 kms). Maybe plugs, battery? Luck buddy!

Old 11-14-2015, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you describe 'long cranking time', not weak battery or slow cranking speed?
If it's slow, check the battery.

If it's a long cranking time.....
Winter fuel blend change probably hit you by now, I think every station in Cali had to be on it by (IIRC) Nov 1.

If it cranks like 3 seconds instead of 1.5 seconds before it runs on its own, it's still OK.
If it's taking 15 seconds of cranking to get it to run, that's not right.

If you only hold the key in cranking position for one second at a time, don't.
Let it crank continuously until the engine runs on its own.....Maximum 15 seconds.

Make sure you are using low octane gas...
High octane can lead to extended cranking, hard starting, and rough unstable initial running.

HTH

Old 11-14-2015, 12:19 AM
Just had another thiught, I was mentioning to s friend that synthetic oil seemed to make a difference for cold weather starts. Shouldn't account for all your symptoms but couldn't hurt if you're on conventional? Cheers.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
@ezone: Yes, it's long cranking time. When new, it would fire up and turn over quickly. Now, it takes several seconds (but not 15 seconds).

@bigsmitty: Synth. oil seems like a hard explanation to swallow. Synth. oil has never been a problem with other cars.

I just don't know about this engine. The valve lifter noise is loud, yet the dealer insists that it is "normal." I'll be taking it to another dealer soon. And this hard starting issue really bothers me.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
I have the same problem. 2013 low miles and in warranty. I didn't really think it was something big enough to take to the dealer, but now you have me wondering. Spark, Fuel, or compression. Sometimes I think it's fuel related.... If turn the key to the 2nd position (not starting) it kicks on the fuel pump. Let that kick on before you turn it over. I feel like this extra time allows it to turn over immediately in cold starts. I don't know. Maybe I'm crazy. Try it and see if that helps. Maybe we can track it down to the correct system. Also, with some of the other people that had loose spark plugs makes me really want to check to see if they are tight. I would assume if they are loose you wouldn't get compression, but wouldn't that happen for warm starts as well... I need to check mine to rule it out. Who knows. Maybe it's the battery like other people are saying.

If you figure it out, let us know.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:00 AM
Try a fuel line/injector cleaner. Like the gas line antifreeze type stuff. Pretty cheap, easy and within a half a tank or so should either make a difference or not. Cheers

Old 11-15-2015, 02:09 AM
Several seconds of cranking (five or ten, which can feel like more) is perfectly reasonable for cold weather starting and does not indicate a problem or malfunction of any kind. In extremely cold conditions, it can sometimes help to press and hold the accelerator a little.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Hey mister you may want to check out oil heaters. A friend at work recommended them over block heaters and I see they are available to heat the oil, trans and battery dep on model. Don't know much about them and don't have issues myself but will prob look at getting something to hear the oil, trans and battery. Reasonably priced and easy to install. Cheers

Old 11-22-2015, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
A tired crankshaft position sensor can also make a engine take a bit to start..

Old 08-09-2016, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigsmitty
Try a fuel line/injector cleaner. Like the gas line antifreeze type stuff. Pretty cheap, easy and within a half a tank or so should either make a difference or not. Cheers
Seconded. I believe that is a must to do about 4 times/year. I use Chevron Techron which is well thought of.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dll932
Seconded. I believe that is a must to do about 4 times/year. I use Chevron Techron which is well thought of.
It couldn't hurt if you follow the instructions. I would run it through just before you do an oil change.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Extended cranking time on cold starts is a common symptom of tight valves, car probably needs a valve adjustment. Drive it to long with them tight will burn them up.

Do a search on valve adjustments on here for the info.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
^^Valve adjustment needed at less than 25k mi. ? I hope not.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:22 PM
Hello, I am facing the same issue : some extra cranks needrn at first start of the day 🤔
D​​​​​id you solved your issue by cleaning the throttle body or by doing something else ?

Old 11-08-2018, 02:34 AM
TB cleaning fixed your issue ?

Hello, throttle body cleaning finally fixed your issue or did you do something else that fix that extra cranks trouble ? I am facing the same on my end (fit GE6 2010), thanks for your feedback sharing.