2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering problem 2011 fit sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Power steering problem 2011 fit sport

Sporadically when I turn left my 2011 Honda fit sport's power steering quits.
First the radio turns off, then the power steering light comes on and I lose my power steering. I had the power steering computer replaced about 7 months ago and the problem was back in 2 months. It only happens once in a while but I can't get it to do it for the dealer so they won't fix it. It happened twice yesterday.
Anyone know what's causing this?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
My 07 had a loose connection in the steering column that had random affects on my car..

Old 05-16-2016, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
I'm encountering power steering problems with my 2009. So far I've only noticed it when I'm parking. It's accompanied by a humming noise. The dash lights also dim and the aftermarket radio shuts off. It's like the car has a brown-out. No warning lights. I've had a number of instances where the radio power itself off quite but didn't notice any change in the steering. I wonder if I just didn't notice because I was on the highway driving straight and didn't need the power steering anyway.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:50 AM
How did you guys fix The problem of The steering? I have The same issue, the radio turns off and The steering go out!

Thanks for your help

Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DanyFit
How did you guys fix The problem of The steering? I have The same issue, the radio turns off and The steering go out!

Thanks for your help
Mine ended up being the battery ground. It was loose enough where I could twist it,but tight enough to provide power to the car 99% of the time. It must have been browning out in cases where it drew a lot of current, i.e. when I turn the wheel a lot and demand a lot from the power steering. I just tightened the clamp on the ground and the problem hasn't occurred since.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:15 AM
So far they replaced the computer for the power steering at the cost of $1100. That didn't work. I've continued to complain and they've done nothing. Now I'm driving a rental until the airbag parts get here. Can't say I'd ever buy a Honda again.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Problem solved

Originally Posted by Nbehlman
Mine ended up being the battery ground. It was loose enough where I could twist it,but tight enough to provide power to the car 99% of the time. It must have been browning out in cases where it drew a lot of current, i.e. when I turn the wheel a lot and demand a lot from the power steering. I just tightened the clamp on the ground and the problem hasn't occurred since.

thanks, the ground was The problem.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Thanks, problem fixed!!

Old 07-25-2019, 07:55 AM
Thanks so much!

It seem the ground terminal was the problem as well. It was loose.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:24 PM
J20
Your battery connections are loose idiot. You probably over tightened enough to make the terminal metal bust or undertightened. So everytime you hit a bump the connections fly off and your ps cuts. Get the battery post shims. Dont blame Honda when its a simple issue. Could happen to any car. Just be glad its a fit and you can actually man handle it to steer if you lose your ps and not kill yourself

Old 11-19-2019, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
+1 - My 2010 Fit started randomly blipping power while the vehicle was on. Obviously freaked me out when it happened a few times after. Radio flicks off and on, dash lights / headlights dim, power steering light comes on. Car recovers. No engine stall.

The dealer wanted to charge just to look at it. But this forum comes through once again and after a $10 new ground battery cable I'm all set and the problem hasn't happened since. Coming up on a 145k Miles and my ground battery cable was frayed. It honestly was falling apart to the point where I didn't have to unscrew it from the metal. Just never paid it any attention.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:59 AM
Thank you!

This was awesome - thank you! It probably saved me a ton of money on my 2011 Fit. The power steering went out a couple of times yesterday and I was afraid it would be an expensive repair (once I learned it wasn’t a steering fluid problem). I definitely had a loose ground connection, so I’m crossing my fingers that the problem is solved and doesn’t repeat.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
Power steering problem

I had a funky power steering problem when my battery failed prematurely. A new battery fixed the problem unitil that battery failed after only two years. I got a bigger battery and managed to install it and now no more problems. Get terminal protectant spray for the terminals too. Best of luck Clay