2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Weird Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:29 AM
Weird Problem

As I was driving, I noticed the engine check light was on and the Drive Light was blinking. I pulled over and just check around the engine if anything fell off. Turned the car off and waited a couple seconds and check if the transmission fluid was good. I was confused so I headed home. When I got home I turned the car off and checked if it would light up if I turned it on again. It was gone and no Drive Light blinks too. Should I be concern and take it in for a code check?

Old 12-06-2016, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
and the Drive Light was blinking
The computer saw that a fault occurred, the blinking D means it's transmission related, trouble code is now stored in the computer for some amount of time (run cycles).

Light is now off, fault is not present at this moment. Problem did not reoccur during the next drive, so this seems to be an 'Intermittent fault'.

Fault code data is still stored in the computer, for some amount of time. It can be read, but if you wait too long and the fault does not happen again, the stored data will eventually self clear.

I'd guess the fault code will be related to one of the pressure switches on the transmission. The faults with them usually cause seemingly random intermittent codes.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:53 PM
But some intermittent faults sometimes don't set a DTC for the scan tool to read?

Old 12-06-2016, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PhilRai
But some intermittent faults sometimes don't set a DTC for the scan tool to read?
I've seen it happen that way with brief misfire events on a few different older Hondas, but I doubt this is the case with your issue.

In general:
The computer can turn the warning lights off if the fault doesn't happen again right away..... but it should keep the fault code data stored in memory for quite a while, unless the battery is disconnected or the memory is erased with a scanner or code reader.

Sometimes code data may be purged from memory after many drive cycles without a recurrence. The number 40 comes to mind, but I don't have info to verify that.