2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2011 AT Fit Sport - Snow and Tires question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Question 2011 AT Fit Sport - Snow and Tires question

First post!

I'm driving a 2011 Automatic Fit Sport. It was snowing super bad the other day, and I couldn't go anywhere. It looks like the dealer just put some generic 'summer' tires on the vehicle. They work perfectly fine when there is no snow.

At current though, the fit won't go anywhere when it snows. I mean, the tires spin, I just cannot get any kind of traction. And when I do catch a little the cars 'traction control' kicks in, and it feels like the cars just keeps getting slower instead of trying to go anywhere.

I'm willing to bet the issue is I just need to get some snow tires, but I wanted to check before I went and dropped $500 on a full set. Would simply getting some winter tires allow my fit to move through the snow?

Thanks!

Edit: Wanted to add I'm from South Texas originally, and am unaccustomed to buying things for my vehicle during the winter.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
What do the labels on your tires say? If they indicate "all season" or "m+s" anywhere, they should be meant for occasional snow driving if they're not worn out. Of course, not all all-season tires are created equal, which may be your issue.

If you only occasionally drive in snow, you'll probably be fine with all seasons. If you do so regularly, winter tires (with the mountain/snowflake symbol) are a good investment.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Try some "studless" Ice Tires and winter wheels, Les Schwab has them, Or Michelin X-ice go a size narrower and you'll feel like your driving a snow cat.. YES they are expensive,, but way less than smashing up a car in the snow.. You take them off as soon as the weather starts having above 40 at night.. Basically like taking studded tires on and off in spring and fall.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
The 2011 Sport AT (mine) has a button that you can turn off the VAS. Many cars don't have traction control and they go through snow. You just need a little training to drive better without that traction-control.

You might need better tires too.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
snow tire are night and day different in deep snow as u described, op.

i run blizzaks on da wife's GK. same tires ran on my previous GE's and GD (different set of course).

Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM
Snow tires do help a lot.

Sometimes conditions are just a lot more slippery than they at first appear, too. If you try walking on the road, you may well find that you also have trouble getting traction. If the roads are really bad, it's often wisest to simply not drive on them if you have any choice.

I have reasonably decent all-season tires on my Fit and it's rare that I can't get somewhere in winter. Sometimes the traction control does kick in sooner than I'd like. Sometimes it's quite helpful. It depends on the situation.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
I got new Blizzak WS-80 winter tires (stock size 175/65/R15) from Costco and after the installation costs and tax they came to $480 Canadian. Costo will balance & rotate the tires for free for the rest of the tires life. That's about $365 USD, which in my opinion is cheap insurance. Cheaper than not showing up at work a few days, or getting yourself in an accident, or having to call a tow truck for sliding into a ditch + repairs to fix bumpers, wheels, etc.

Made by Bridgestone, the Blizzaks WS-80 are one of the best affordable snow tires. I like them way better than stock Dunlops on dry pavement and they make a big difference when there's snow, slush, ice, etc. Only annoyance is they are a bit loud on wet roads (almost a whistling sound) -> crank up the music.
Michellins X3 are ranked slightly better, but a lot more expensive.
Beware of cheap tires Made in China or brands you've not heard off!!

You really should get winter tires on separate rims, like cheap steel ones - or get used rims. That way you keep costs to minimum when you switch from winter to summer/all-season tires, or even DIY. If your mechanic has to switch the tires on one set of rims, it will cost you more long-term.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 01-28-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:32 PM
The way traction control works on many cars (and likely the Fit) is to use the ABS system to slow down the wheel that's spinning. When they both start spinning it actually reduces throttle no matter how much you step on the gas. Sometimes disabling traction control can get you going. But snow tires are best.

Blizzaks are a great choice for snowy climates while the Michelin X-Ice are better for icy conditions and dry road performance. I'm in Denver where we see dry roads most of the winter and I prefer the X-Ice.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
I use cheap 14 inch stealies that are powder coated black. The tires are 185/70/14 General Artic Alimax (cheap and excellent imo) and aftermarket TPMS sensors. About $500 invested. The TPMS is a must if you want to use a VSC "off" function (which you will). This combo works gret for 5 years now in Ohio. I have used every snow tire combo in the last 23 years. It should work for you GE8.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:28 AM
I am going to get some Blizzaks as soon as I am able to. After reading all the posts and suggestions I think those will be best for me. I really appreciate all the advice everyone, thanks!

Old 02-05-2017, 06:56 AM
Just bought snows for the Fit yesterday. Discount Tire here in Denver market is having their winter tire clearance. Was going to buy the Blizzak at a great sale price. Ended up getting the Michelin instead. They would have had to order the Blizzak in. They had the Michelin in the store and they gave me a great price. Really can't go wrong with either.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Best Winter tires: Nokian Hakkapallita. Period

Old 02-05-2017, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MCHFit2013
Best Winter tires: Nokian Hakkapallita. Period

Old 02-06-2017, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Nokians vailable at Wal-Marts . So are GENERAL Altimax Arctic and others .

Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 PM
I bought a set of Dunlop Winter Maxx that were on sale at Tire Rack to put on my stock GE wheels for the winter. Here in Wisconsin I've gone out in 6" plus and never been stuck. Snow tires are truly the answer.