2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator broken from towing...fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Radiator broken from towing...fix?

My 2013 Fit got towed and the company somehow broke the radiator loose from underneath. It looks like whatever they hooked it up with pressed upwards under the front bumper to lift the wheels, hit the radiator and it snapped the plastic tabs off front and bottom and bent the radiator supports. It's just kind of leaning against them now.

Called the towing company to explain and ask them to pay for the damage and they of course say they are not liable for any damages to the vehicle.

I'm wondering if I can just JB weld some new "nipples" or whatever onto the radiator and replace the bumper cover they messed up, or if I'm better off getting a brand new radiator. It doesn't appear to be leaking.

IF I have to replace...is there a worthwhile upgrade or just get whatever NAPA has.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Bummed they towed my car without notice, busted it up, and then got to charge me ridiculous money to get it back.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:47 PM
I'd suggest bringing it up with your insurance agent, especially if you have collision and comprehensive coverage. They might have an easier time getting the tow company to admit liability. The tow company generally is liable for damage they cause, and should be bonded and insured etc. Getting them to pay up is, of course, a different matter.

If it was towed due to a city parking violation, the city may have a form or procedure for claiming damage in the process as well. It wouldn't hurt to enquire about that.

(I'm assuming this wasn't a case of recovery from a ditch or something where the damage may be practically unavoidable and where presumably you would have specifically agreed to it being possible beforehand. It sounds to me more like a parking violation, at least an alleged one, or something similar.)