2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

radiator replacement question

Old 02-17-2015, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
radiator replacement question

Apologies if this has been discussed or if I should post this someplace else. I couldn't find anything with a quick search.

I have a 2009 Fit Sport and incidentally noticed a broken hose that connects to my radiator when I was filling the car with wiper fluid the other day. I brought it to the shop this morning and they said that they radiator cap/nipple that connects the overflow tank hose is broken and that the entire radiator will need to be replaced. Has anyone heard of this before and does this sound accurate? I don't have a lot of experience with this repair shop and only chose them because of their convenience to my work. But I have no reason not to trust them. Seems drastic to have to replace the entire radiator for this. They estimate the cost as $500-600.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
I've never heard of this. I'm interested as to what everyone else says. Does the hose look damaged? Can you run the car for awhile and see if you can find the source of the leak yourself?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
I took the car to another shop that I'm more familiar with and trust. They gave the same opinion. The nipple where the radiator overflow hose connects to the radiator has snapped off. That part of the radiator is plastic and they agreed can't be fixed without being replaced. 2nd shop did give me a much cheaper estimate on replacing the radiator though ($400).

Old 02-17-2015, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Good idea to get a second opinion. Sorry to hear that you need a new radiator. That is a first that I have heard of that. At least it should be a fairly easy replacement.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tacostand
Apologies if this has been discussed or if I should post this someplace else. I couldn't find anything with a quick search.

I have a 2009 Fit Sport and incidentally noticed a broken hose that connects to my radiator when I was filling the car with wiper fluid the other day. I brought it to the shop this morning and they said that they radiator cap/nipple that connects the overflow tank hose is broken and that the entire radiator will need to be replaced. Has anyone heard of this before and does this sound accurate? I don't have a lot of experience with this repair shop and only chose them because of their convenience to my work. But I have no reason not to trust them. Seems drastic to have to replace the entire radiator for this. They estimate the cost as $500-600.

Thanks for the help!
1. is the car warranty still in effect? if it is its hondas job unless obviously abuse.
2. to save cost you can find one in a junkyard, ok salvage yard.
installation is not overly expensive; 2 hours labor should cover it.
and in that cvase consider a competent non dcedaler repair shop.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 PM
The radiator is $195 at advance so you need to decide if paying someone an extra $200 to put it in is worth it to you

Old 02-18-2015, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
There is no pressure and on cool down a slight vacuum on that connection. Clean it up good and glue it back in place. Try crazy glue. If that doesn't work any 2 part epoxy like JB Weld or epoxy plumbers putty definitely will work. I fixed a radiator cooling tube once with the epoxy plumbers putty on my motor home. I was on the road several years back and blew a huge hole in the tube. The fix It is still going strong. I probably should replace or re-core that radiator one of these years. The difference with your repair is I was fixing a part of the radiator that is under pressure. The part you are gluing is NOT under pressure.

My final suggestion is to drill and tap a new brass or nylon (plastic) nipple into it.

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Hose-Barb-6AFH3?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/6AFJ9_AS01?$smthumb$

I do not think this solution is necessary as the glue / epoxy solution with do the trick. Any of these solutions should cost you no more that $15.00 TOTAL and take you 1/2 hour to do.

If you use the epoxy plumber putty solution let it set up over night and harden. If it doesn't harden because it is too cold outside, drive it without the hose attached and it will harden up right away from the engine heat. Epoxy hardens with heat.

Rock Auto has your replacement radiator for $74.00 to $144.00 depending on the brand that you like. I would not replace it if it were mine.

Last edited by n9cv; 02-18-2015 at 04:50 AM.