2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Fit going through brake lights like candy

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
2010 Fit going through brake lights like candy

I have a 2010 Fit that I've had 6 or 7 brake lights go out on in the last six months. My shop once replaced a socket that was clearly melted, but even that didn't solve the problem. I've searched all over and this does not seem to be a common problem. Guess I'm just lucky.

Any suggestions? Should I try moving to an LED?

Old 04-24-2017, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member
I have no idea what is causing your problem. However is it both sides or just one side that is giving you problems?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I have no idea what is causing your problem. However is it both sides or just one side that is giving you problems?
Both sides, but never simultaneously.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:46 AM
It sounds like you've got an electrical short somewhere. It may only short when you hit a bump or the vehicle flexes a certain way. These can be very difficult to find. Start by visually inspecting exposed wires for your brake light system for signs of abrasion or wear, especially in any areas where any mods were done.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Just to be sure, are you buying the correct lamps for the application? Also, an 'LL' lamp designation is of better quality, i.e. Long Life.

Brake/Taillight: 21/5 W
Back-Up Light: 16 W
Rear Turn Signal Light: 21 W (Amber)

Good luck with finding a solution. This IS puzzling.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Are you perchance riding the brakes? Is the switch on the pedal for the brake lights acting up such that they're staying lit when the brakes aren't being applied? Often the brake and turn signal lights will tend to burn out quickly (and possibly melt sockets) if they're on continually rather than intermittently. LEDs would help with that problem, but you should still find and fix the underlying problem.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
Are you perchance riding the brakes? Is the switch on the pedal for the brake lights acting up such that they're staying lit when the brakes aren't being applied? Often the brake and turn signal lights will tend to burn out quickly (and possibly melt sockets) if they're on continually rather than intermittently. LEDs would help with that problem, but you should still find and fix the underlying problem.
Definitely not riding the brakes. I have usually fout out about the burnouts when a friend is following me and none of them have ever mentioned the lights staying on, other than when I apply them.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
Just to be sure, are you buying the correct lamps for the application? Also, an 'LL' lamp designation is of better quality, i.e. Long Life.

Brake/Taillight: 21/5 W
Back-Up Light: 16 W
Rear Turn Signal Light: 21 W (Amber)

Good luck with finding a solution. This IS puzzling.
Thanks. I can't confirm that as I don't have the original boxes at this time, but, I have replaced some myself and my mechanic has replaced some, so we'd both have to be buying the wrong ones. I've always looked up what works on the car before I buy them. I do know I was going for the highest rated ones at first, until I realized they would only last a month.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
Five things I can think of that will cause short life on brake lights.

1. Bad connection at the bulb causing overheating. This is common on these modern wire contact type of bulbs and sockets. I have fixed many of these on various vehicles. Inspect the socket contacts very closely for any discoloring of the bulb wires or socket contacts. With power off, clean them as necessary with a pencil eraser or points file.
2. Water in the light assembly
3. Sticking on brake light switch. I suspect this. Possibly in combination with item 1.
4. Alternator over voltage. I doubt this as no other light bulbs are going out.
5. Bulb not fully inserted in the socket.

A short or open will not cause this problem unless the short is between the tail lights and brake lights causing the brake lights to be on all the time. Again, inspect the sockets very closely.