2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Air conditioning doesn't work when it's hot outside

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Air conditioning doesn't work when it's hot outside

The a/c in our 2010 (blue) Fit doesn't work when it's hot out. When temps get around 90 degrees the AC will not work. When it's in the 70s, for example, it blows nice and cold. When it's hot our and you want the AC it just blow hot air.

Something is stopping the compressor from turning on I think. Are there any common issues with this?

Thanks

Old 06-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Freon may be low. You can get a can with a gauge at walmart for about fifteen bucks. Just be careful not to over fill. If freon too low, no compressor.

When you fill it, you want the AC on max (recirc). You will hear the AC compressor kick-in when you get to a certain level.

It is an Easy job. Like 30 seconds easy.

Mine held almost an entire small can. There is a cutoff on the gauge/nozzle to stop from filling, and you twist it to stop. It allows you to seal the can if you don't need the whole amount.

Last edited by TIGHT-FIT; 06-16-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
have you looked to see if the clutch is engaged and spinning when the AC is switched on?

Old 06-17-2017, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Something is stopping the compressor from turning on I think.
When it quits cooling, jump out and open the hood and inspect:
See if the compressor clutch is still engaged, and see if both radiator fans are running.

Post the answers to both

Old 06-17-2017, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
There is a known issue with honda ac compressor clutches not lasting as long, you can actually buy the clutch itself (Rock Auto) and not replace the whole compressor like most of the shops will suggest..

And I find most of the newer cars, you need real AC gauges to get the charge right, the R134 charge load is so small the margin for error is tight.. If you overfill by a couple oz it causes heavy start load on the compressor and or stalling of the compressor.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
There is a known issue with honda ac compressor clutches not lasting as long, you can actually buy the clutch itself (Rock Auto) and not replace the whole compressor like most of the shops will suggest..

And I find most of the newer cars, you need real AC gauges to get the charge right, the R134 charge load is so small the margin for error is tight.. If you overfill by a couple oz it causes heavy start load on the compressor and or stalling of the compressor.
Over charge will also cause compressor shut down when the outside temperature is higher. As stated above, I suggest that you check the pressures using a set of gauges. It does not take much overcharge to cause a problem. I had one once that I recharged 3 times to spec using a machine and it still shut down (like yours) when the temperature reached 85 to 90. I finally found the problem using gauges. I drained a slight bit if R-134 and it has been running fine for the past 8 years.

My second thought is the compressor clutch clearance is too wide.