2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to replace rear defrost button light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
How to replace rear defrost button light?

So my rear defrost button light went out today on my 2012 fit and I'm not sure 1. how to replace it and 2. what part number the bulb is.

I see many threads about the 1st gen fit, but none (that I can find) about the 2nd gen fit.

Does anyone know the process? I assume I'll have to take the entire heater control panel off to take the buttons out to replace the bulbs?

Also, does anyone know the part number? Looking at the parts diagram from heeltoeauto, it's not clear which bulb it is. The bulbs for the AC button are clearly marked as parts #1 (35852-TK6-A01) and #2 (35853-TK6-A01) though. I don't even see the buttons as parts that I can purchase, for some reason.

heeltoeauto part diagram:
https://oem.heeltoeauto.com/auto-par...r-control-scat

(I also checked bernardi online honda parts, ebay, and ebay motors, but same results)

Or are the bulbs in the defrost button not replaceable and I'll have to replace the entire button?

--------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Added guide below for replacing the light.

Tools needed:
-philips head screwdriver
-plastic/nylon pry bars (plastic so as to not scratch the plastic trim)
-replacement bulbs, here is a link to a diagram of the bulbs and their part numbers.
https://oem.heeltoeauto.com/auto-par...at/switch-scat

-youtube video about removing the radio for 2012 fit. Note that he says you need a 8mm socket, but I found that you can just use a regular old philips head screwdriver. Also note that his is a right hand side drive model.

1. Drop the glovebox by opening it up, squeezing the sides, and then bringing it downwards.

2. In the little cubby space in front of the gear shifter, there is a panel above it. Take a pry bar and pry it out from the far edge. (so the edge next to the power outlet) It shouldn't take too much force. This was a bit tricky. See picture:

3. Once the panel has been removed, look at the top right side. There should be a large white plastic piece and on the right side of that piece, there is a hole.

Look up through the hole. (you'll need to be a bit flexible for this) You'll see a philips head screw. Use your screwdriver to loosen and take the screw out. That screw holds the radio in place. (yes, it is also clipped in place by way of the surrounding trim)

Once you stick your screwdriver in, it's hard to see the screw and how far it's been loosened, so look through the glovebox hole space. Be careful not to lose the screw!

4. Now we have to actually loosen and take the radio out. This was tough as it was really tightly stuck in place. I found the following to work though (somewhat based on the youtube video). You'll have to exert some pressure to push the radio out towards the cabin a bit, which will then start separating the radio from the right hand side trim. Starting from the right side, you then take a pry bar and pry around from the right to the top and from the right to the bottom of the radio. All the while continuing to exert pressure pushing the radio out into the cabin. The problem was that there wasn't a lot of space in the glovebox hole to get a good hold of the radio and push it out. So here's what I did. I took a metal wrench and used it as a lever to push the radio out. See picture. The red line indicates the pivot point of the wrench acting as a lever. The arrow pointing to the right is where I was pushing the end of the wrench. The little arrow pointing to the left is the resultant force from the lever that is then pushing the radio out.

the right side of the radio will separate by itself from the surrounding trim as you push the radio out.

While pushing the radio out, continue carefully prying along the top and bottom of the radio. Note that the top air vents are actually part of the top side of the radio.

As far as taking the radio out, I couldn't actually take it out as much as the youtube video showed. This was as far as I could go. (I didn't want to try my luck and rip some of cables in the back)

5. At this point, I still couldn't get a good hold of the back of the defrost button, so I had to pull out the right side of the heater control panel trim. First, you'll have to unscrew a screw as pictured below:

Once that screw is out, you have more leeway to pull the right side of the heater panel trim out. Simply pull the right side out a bit. It shouldn't take too much force. *When you go to push this trim back in, make sure that the top right tab (as indicated by the arrow on the right side of the picture pointing left) goes back in its hole.

6. Now you should have enough space to get a hand inside and push the defrost button out. Here's what it looks like if you look downwards at the button. I found it was easiest to push the button out by placing two fingers right at the white plastic connector part at the back of the button housing. (as indicated by the two arrows. each finger would be at each arrow)

Once the button is out, disconnect it by pushing on the tab on the top:

7. Now we'll have to take the button apart a bit. Look at the back of the button assembly. There are 2 tabs that hold a wrapping plastic part to the button assembly. See arrows on picture. Push those inwards and pull the plastic wrapping part off of the button assembly.

It then pulls out like so:

Here they are separated:

8. Now, finally, is the part where we actually replace the bulb. Flip the button over and you'll see two brown circular pieces. Those are the bulbs. There is one that lights up the text & icon/picture and there is a separate one that lights up the little circle for when you push the button in and activate the rear defrost/defogger. The bulb marked "Y" is for the little circle and has a yellow film attached to the bulb. The bulb marked "B" is for the text & icon and has a bluish film attached to the bulb. You simply turn them counterclockwise to take them out and clockwise to tighten. I did notice that after unscrewing them, they are kinda wedged in place, so you have to shake them out a bit.

The bulb marked "Y" has a part number of 35850-SMA-J11 / Bulb Comp. The bulb marked "B" has a part number of 35850-TF0-J01 / Bulb (14V 60MA). I'm just replacing the "Y" bulb.

I'm not sure if polarity matters here (did not test), but make sure to align the bulbs exactly as they were originally. Notice the red arrows pointing to the little circle notch on each bulb and the triangle notch in the black plastic of the button.

Here's a picture of the bulbs. They're tiny!

9. Finally, I would suggest giving it a test before putting everything back together. After replacing the "Y" bulb, I connected the button back to the button cable and here it is. It works!

To put everything back together, just follow the steps in reverse.

Hope someone finds this useful!

Last edited by bob89; 10-20-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
On the first gen the manual shows taking a lot of stuff apart, but if you take the glovebox down like your changing the cabin filter, you can (If your coordinated,, LOL) Reach from behind and push the switch out, Its fiddly but easier than taking the dash out, basically you have to remove almost the same stuff as you would to replace the stereo.. So if you look at a how-to for that ,, you'll see the steps, the switch comes out with the dash panel, it doesn't have to come all the way out just far enough to get the switch popped free.. The bulbs are like a 1/4 turn twist lock thing to get out.. fairly easy once you can access the switch.. On mine the switch has a catch on both sides that releases it from the dash.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
On the first gen the manual shows taking a lot of stuff apart, but if you take the glovebox down like your changing the cabin filter, you can (If your coordinated,, LOL) Reach from behind and push the switch out, Its fiddly but easier than taking the dash out, basically you have to remove almost the same stuff as you would to replace the stereo.. So if you look at a how-to for that ,, you'll see the steps, the switch comes out with the dash panel, it doesn't have to come all the way out just far enough to get the switch popped free.. The bulbs are like a 1/4 turn twist lock thing to get out.. fairly easy once you can access the switch.. On mine the switch has a catch on both sides that releases it from the dash.
Interesting. I'll try reaching through the glovebox hole. Do you know what part number the bulb is for the 2nd gen? Super confused on this part.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
FYI, for future reference, I've found the part numbers for the bulbs.

https://oem.heeltoeauto.com/auto-par...at/switch-scat

Apparently, they were under the "switch" category. 2 bulbs for the defrost button.

35850-TF0-J01 / Bulb (14V 60MA)

35850-SMA-J11 / Bulb Comp

Couldn't reach through the glove box to push the button out. Will have to try loosening the radio to get more space.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:55 PM
I had to replace both the defrost and the AC....

Remove the radio (do a search for instructions)
Once the radio is removed you have full access to the switch. You need to pop the switch out of the console.
Once the switch is out, if i remember correctly you need to take the switch apart, and then you can swap the bulb... make sure to test it before reassembling everything.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Is the rear defrost/heated mirror button the one you are talking about? I noticed mine doesn't light up with the dash lights since i got my fit a couple months ago. I didn't know if it was supposed to but the logos on the switch seem to be more of a solid white than a grey transparent.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by cutsheal5
Is the rear defrost/heated mirror button the one you are talking about? I noticed mine doesn't light up with the dash lights since i got my fit a couple months ago. I didn't know if it was supposed to but the logos on the switch seem to be more of a solid white than a grey transparent.
Yes, thats the button. There is a little orange light that should turn on (similar to A/C, just orange)

Old 11-02-2017, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah my little orange light turns on when I push the switch in but does your actual switch light up with the rest of the dash lights when you turn the lights on?

Old 11-04-2017, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Yea, the text and icon for the defrost button light up when you turn the lights on. It is fairly faint though, so it is hard to see during the day. (very easy to see at night) There is then a separate circle light to the right of the text and icon when you actually push the defrost button in.

However, my rear defrost button only toggles the defrost/defogger for the rear window. I don't think US fits have heated mirrors.

Last edited by bob89; 11-04-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Finally managed to replace the bulb! Took me 2 and a half hours since I wasn't sure what I was doing. I found that loosening the radio wasn't enough. I had to pry out the right side of the heater control panel too in order to get my hand behind the button and push it out. I'll add instructions and pictures to the top post as reference so that others who have the same issue can know what to do. Hopefully this helps!

Last edited by bob89; 11-04-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Wish I had heated mirrors

Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM
I found I could skip the whole "remove the radio" travail by just dropping the lower glove box, then reaching in, locating the wire connector on the back of the switch, and pushing it out enough so I could pull it from the front.

Thanks for the links to buy the bulbs!

Old 04-19-2019, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by ceich62
I found I could skip the whole "remove the radio" travail by just dropping the lower glove box, then reaching in, locating the wire connector on the back of the switch, and pushing it out enough so I could pull it from the front.

Thanks for the links to buy the bulbs!
Thanks for mentioning you could bypass the radio removal. I just removed my switch via the same method; just need to move your hand around until you can get good leverage against the back of the switch!

Old 04-19-2019, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
+10000000 internets for asking a question and then answering it yourself and leaving detailed instructions for the rest of us!!

Old 04-20-2019, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
Has to be one of the better write ups. Thanks

Old 12-01-2020, 09:36 AM
[/QUOTE]
Hope someone finds this useful! [/QUOTE]

Thank you OP for this very handy post!
I was stuck at how to open up the switch and your photos helped!
I installed LEDs in place of the original bulbs.

Old 03-01-2022, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Most awesome! My B bulb went out but I'll do both Y and B to save on future labor. Thank you so much for the extra work you did to post this up.