2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Finally, Cost effective Lumbar support!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Finally, Cost effective Lumbar support!

So I have had this issue ever since I bought the car and everyone knows how horrible Honda Fit seats are. The fit's seats are darn uncomfortable. I looked all over for the most cost effective solution and finally got one that finally works.
For context, I weight around 170 lb and 5ft6, the Fit is a commuter in Los Angeles's streets and freeway. My commute averages around 45 min to an hour depending on how many drivers are using their phones while driving.

here is the link.
Amazon Amazon

It is a lumbar roll cut in half, hence D-roll.
It has a strap for "secure" it in place, cover is removable, and it is firm. BUT the main takeway here is you must trim from the flat part to accommodate to your comfort level. I ended up trimming about 1.75-2 inches of foam using a bread knife (any serrated knife would do). I found the strap to be useless but that's me, you might find it otherwise.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I "added it to my cart." The Fit seats are killing my back, and I want to believe in this D-roll, but I would like to know if you considered the Full Roll and the Slim Line by the same company. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Full Roll:
Amazon Amazon

Slim Line:
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-01-2018, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
By the way, I've been using this Memory Foam cushion ---> https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...eat%20cushions .

My seat has degraded into a bucket. This cushion fills in that hole pretty well. When I bend up the rear edge, I get a little lumbar support off it.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, I saw the original and there was a lot of complaints that they were fairly firm and considering the physical structure of our seats, I considered the "D-roll" to avoid such a big lump of support that the original offered.
And it looks like the Slimline is what became of my D-roll with the trimming modification that I performed.

Honestly, I sit at work for most of the day, and also at school for another 2-3 hours four days of the week. Driving in the Fit didn't help before but it has been a NIGHT and DAY difference with this cheap fix.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
By the way, I've been using this Memory Foam cushion ---> https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...eat%20cushions .

My seat has degraded into a bucket. This cushion fills in that hole pretty well. When I bend up the rear edge, I get a little lumbar support off it.
Nice! I also considered a minimal design due to the amount of heat foam materials produce when it gets hot. You know how that is in LA.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Forget the full roll, tried it and it is way too big, very uncomfortable!

Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
I did a long tube sock, like comes up to your knee. Stuffed it with a towel, then fooled with the seat back to get it to where my back won't hurt. Did this about 3 years ago, & it has worked very well. Car is a 2013 Base with 5 speed stick.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
I'm surprised to hear people complaining about the Fit's seats (GE).
I'm 31, about 5'-10" and 220 lbs, average leg/torso/arm ratio, if that makes any difference.
I feel my 2013 Fit has amazing seats, comfortable for longer rides and with the perfect amount of lumbar support.
My previous car was 1998 Chrysler/Dodge Intrepid - now those seats really sucked you right in them and I was using a cheap Amazon/Ebay mesh lumbar support like this one:

I wouldn't recommend this type, as it needed re-adjusting every time I got in the car because the bottom portion would get stuck in between the seat & backrest and had to be pulled up.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 02-06-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Andrei_ierdnA
I'm surprised to hear people complaining about the Fit's seats (GE).
I'm not.
Every auto, every forum, there is some degree of complaint.

The problem with any discussion about seat comfort or vehicle ergonomics is that it is so subjective and different for every person.

What is perfectly comfortable for you?
May be horrible to someone else.

That's why I hesitate to even recommend a specific product. What may work for you, may not work for someone else. It really has to be individual experimentation.

I'm fine with the Fit seats "as is". I did buy a seat cushion-bottom, that is really nice--for me. It adds a little more height and a little more cushion. I like it. BUT...someone else could try it and hate it.

Just about my only advice to anyone concerning seat comfort, is try to determine whether you can live with the seats of a vehicle BEFORE you buy it.
Discovering after you have already invested that the seats or ergonomics of the vehicle are painful to you, can be a real deal breaker for ownership, or at least lead to a lot of experimentation or tinkering or otherwise.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I'm not.
Every auto, every forum, there is some degree of complaint.

What is perfectly comfortable for you?
May be horrible to someone else.
First part is exactly right, it is dependent on the driver's comfort level. Posting this was just another solution that I thought would help for those that might have the "same comfort level" as me. It has worked for me but with further modification.

Originally Posted by fitchet
Just about my only advice to anyone concerning seat comfort, is try to determine whether you can live with the seats of a vehicle BEFORE you buy it.
Discovering after you have already invested that the seats or ergonomics of the vehicle are painful to you, can be a real deal breaker for ownership, or at least lead to a lot of experimentation or tinkering or otherwise.
I definitely did not perform an extensive research and/or driving test to actually open the box of worm(s) I wasn't expecting that I am experiencing now.

For even more context, I came from an 05 Civic Si, and was looking for something with utility of a hatch and this was the only thing on the market for price, efficiency, and reliability. Aside from all the negatives, I am treating this car for simply what it is in the meantime until something good comes up.