2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud buzzing sound during initial start up

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Loud buzzing sound during initial start up

I noticed when I turn the ignition on for the first time in the morning sometimes it gives a loud buzzing or kazzz sound, however it never happens for the rest of the day. Does anyone experience this or know what the issue is? Just replaced my plugs today, car gets 32-35 MPG constantly. Something I should worry about?

Old 03-19-2018, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Does the buzzing sound increase / decrease with engine speed / stepping on the throttle?

If it does then it might be something being rotated by the belt that comes off the crank shaft: alternator, air condition compressor, tension pulley, anti-freeze pump, or the belt itself. In the old days, we used to call this the "fan" belt but the cooling fans are powered by electricity and not the belt anymore.

From past experience, the bearing on the tension pulley tends to dry out / make noise first on all sorts of vehicles I've had. After running the engine for a while / short trip, the belt and bearings in the tension pulley and cir conditioning compressor clutch are warm. I "turn off the engine" and then squirt some WD40 on both sides of the tension pulley bearing and leave it soak in the next 15 mins or more - more doesn't hurt anything. I know it is supposed to be sealed but I'm sure that after time there is some gap that allows water into the bearing and that the heat of the engine and inside the bearing dries out the grease. A little WD40 wets the old grease and allows it to move around and do a better job of lubricating inside there. See if that helps.

If the belt, itself, is old / stiff / cracking, it could be slipping / vibrating upon initial start up and then as it gets warm from operating it get more supple / grips and quiets down. They do sell spray cans of "Belt Dressing" at car part stores but it is a temporary fix. When a belts starts acting like that and it shows signs of wear, it is better to change it than have it break at an inconvenient time.

Worse / higher costs are the anti-freeze water pump and/or the air conditioner clutch. You can buy remanufactured water pumps cheap but the labor is high because it is a pain to do. The A/C clutch is just expensive.

Let us know what it is.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Does the buzzing sound increase / decrease with engine speed / stepping on the throttle?

If it does then it might be something being rotated by the belt that comes off the crank shaft: alternator, air condition compressor, tension pulley, anti-freeze pump, or the belt itself. In the old days, we used to call this the "fan" belt but the cooling fans are powered by electricity and not the belt anymore.

From past experience, the bearing on the tension pulley tends to dry out / make noise first on all sorts of vehicles I've had. After running the engine for a while / short trip, the belt and bearings in the tension pulley and cir conditioning compressor clutch are warm. I "turn off the engine" and then squirt some WD40 on both sides of the tension pulley bearing and leave it soak in the next 15 mins or more - more doesn't hurt anything. I know it is supposed to be sealed but I'm sure that after time there is some gap that allows water into the bearing and that the heat of the engine and inside the bearing dries out the grease. A little WD40 wets the old grease and allows it to move around and do a better job of lubricating inside there. See if that helps.

If the belt, itself, is old / stiff / cracking, it could be slipping / vibrating upon initial start up and then as it gets warm from operating it get more supple / grips and quiets down. They do sell spray cans of "Belt Dressing" at car part stores but it is a temporary fix. When a belts starts acting like that and it shows signs of wear, it is better to change it than have it break at an inconvenient time.

Worse / higher costs are the anti-freeze water pump and/or the air conditioner clutch. You can buy remanufactured water pumps cheap but the labor is high because it is a pain to do. The A/C clutch is just expensive.

Let us know what it is.
the sound is only heard during initial start up, during the crank, what you described about lubricating the bearing sounds interesting, I’ll give it a try. Belt was replaced once I believe, need to check my record. AC compressor was replaced last summer.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
what it is, is your bendix gear inside your starter is failing. The noise will happen only on cold mornings. When it begins to happen twice a week, I'd suggest getting a new starter. All us Toyota/Honda owners are familiar with this problem. Seems to happen to Denso starters more for some reason. I've replaced the starter with the same noise in my Vibe and my Fit. No big deal; it is just your starter's time to fail.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member
If the noise occurs with the function of the starter, I agree with BurntZ. Sorry for going down the wrong rabbit hole.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
If it is a starter motor failing to engage, replace starter sooner than later. Once upon a time, I let a problem like this go too long that it destroyed the teeth on flex plate. Flex plate was attached to the torque converter so it became quite an expensive repair.

It was on a 1985 Honda Accord. They had Mitsubishi or Mitsuba starters back then.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Is your car manual trans?

Old 03-21-2018, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks all

No it’s an automatic. I am definitely looking into replacing the starter. Can’t believe at 85k I had the AC compressor replaced already (last summer), and now the starter. Just replaced the plugs last weekend, I’m back to averaging over 36PMG on the highway, love the Fit but not sure if it’s more reliable than a Camry (Last Camry went over 260K!). Thanks for the all the advice folks.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
If the noise occurs with the function of the starter, I agree with BurntZ. Sorry for going down the wrong rabbit hole.
no worries. Appreciate the comments