2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

When to replace your shocks and struts - What brand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
When to replace your shocks and struts - What brand?

Hi all,

I have over 140k miles on my 2010 Fit sport and the ride has been getting choppier / bumpier than normal. Since I've owned it (about 6 years) I've loaded it to the max many times for long trips, used it to pick up loads firewood and used it quite a few times for moving friends / heavy items etc. I'm thinking I may need to replace my shocks and struts but I thought I'd ask here if anyone else with similar mileage and usage has experienced the same ride quality and whether or not you replaced your shocks and struts.
If so, what brand shocks did you choose and were you happy with the selection?
If anyone has any experience with shocks / struts could you recommend a brand name / model #?

Thanks,
SS

Old 03-27-2018, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Since you and I are in the northeast of the country, the use of salt in the winter roads will destroy our cars in about 10-15 yrs of life.

If I were replacing shocks on a daily driver that's not tricked out, I'd kind of stick with "B" or "C" level shocks / price range versus going real expensive, OEM, or real cheap. If the ride feels weak after another 50K miles and it's 10 yrs old, you can ditch the car with no regrets or throw in another set to go another 50K.

Eventually, the rust will takes its toll.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
My 2015 Fit started feelin' a bit boaty starting around 50k miles, but remained just as boaty until 80k miles, when I traded the car in. The OE shocks are "SACHS" made in mexico, and they were not leaking at all; they were just worn out.

Check out rock auto for some selections for your 2010 Sport:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion,strut,7584

KYB and Gabriel have lifetime warranty. I never got the chance to try any of them, but they are basically meant to restore OE performance. Just my 2 cents.

If you want more performance, you can try the Koni 8750 1102L/R & 8050 1131 for $300. Also with lifetime warranty.
KONI NA | List

Last edited by CommanderSlug; 03-27-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah Spike...that and I think even though the car can carry a ton of cargo, I'm not sure the shocks are strong enough for what it can hold.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Interested. I doubt the GE struts are Sachs or anything that good - I have been wondering how to find replacements. Apparently with struts there is wide variety in quality and very little info available since most people know/care little about them.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
I had the struts replaced on my 2009 at 75k. As mine is a daily driver, not lowered or any other modifications to the suspension I went with OEM equivalent KYB gas struts. I have put 52k on those to date and they are still working great.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Codger01
I had the struts replaced on my 2009 at 75k. As mine is a daily driver, not lowered or any other modifications to the suspension I went with OEM equivalent KYB gas struts. I have put 52k on those to date and they are still working great.
How much did it cost you to replace? Did you do the job yourself and did you buy replacement springs? Im considering doing the shocks myself (watched a youtube video and it looks about as easy as it gets) but the struts are a different story and they require a special spring tool (which apparently can injure you pretty badly if you don't know what you're doing.
Fyi mine is a daily driver too. I cummute at least an hour each way to work M-F and in Somerville, Ma where I used to live and still work and drive all the time, the roads look like the surface of the moon and feel like you're driving over logs. They're terrible.

Last edited by shawnshank; 03-29-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
I had them replaced by a local independent shop. This was about 5 years ago, so the prices have gone up, but the struts were about $100 ea + installation. No changes to the springs. The roads here in California are not much better than yours- I drive down I80 towards Oakland/Berkeley daily and play "dodge the pothole" the whole way- since rush hour traffic means going 20 mph or less most of they way it is not hard to miss them---usually.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
I bought complete front assemblies with springs already installed on struts for our CIVIC @ 110K miles. Yes, more expensive but the independent shop hourly rate was going to be nearly the same (only an estimate) or could be more if problems trying to reuse the springs.

If doing yourself and you have the right equipment to "safely" compress the springs, then the cheapest way is to reuse the springs.

Great improvement in ride quality. Doesn't wallow anymore. FITs are "twitchy" not wallowers like CIVICs.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
I bought complete front assemblies with springs already installed on struts for our CIVIC @ 110K miles. Yes, more expensive but the independent shop hourly rate was going to be nearly the same (only an estimate) or could be more if problems trying to reuse the springs.

If doing yourself and you have the right equipment to "safely" compress the springs, then the cheapest way is to reuse the springs.

Great improvement in ride quality. Doesn't wallow anymore. FITs are "twitchy" not wallowers like CIVICs.
I'd probably go with new struts and springs just to make sure everything is new under there. However, I was reading in another post that made a good point...if the tie rods etc are worn (which could also be the case since my car's steering has become pretty vague while trying to hold a straight line), it begins to get into the area of should I just buy a new car or spend a few k to keep mine running solid. Like I've said before I've never had a problem with my fit...definitely the most reliable car I've ever owned and I'd hate to get rid of it for something less reliable but my main complaint at this point is the comfort. Spending two hours a day (at least) behind the wheel has me craving the softer ride (hence the desire to swap out my shocks and struts) but also a more comfortable seat. I'm fairly tall so my legs hang off the drivers seat after about mid thigh making it difficult to stay comfortable during long rides. The seats are decent enough just not adjustable enough or long enough for my size. I don't really want to spend the money on a new car just yet so I might keep the fit for a while longer and just spend the money. I do love my fit. As for the seat...I guess I'd have to deal with it.

Last edited by shawnshank; 03-30-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
I'm 6'2" and on both the CIVIC and FIT I've used a length of foam pipe insulation to cover the emergency brake handle because my calf leans against them to the point it annoys me. Might help.