2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New seats or covers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
New seats or covers?

Got my 2013 Fit Sport maybe 2 years ago. Love it. Rarely have I used the back sets folded down or up, but the other day I noticed what appears to be mold on the seat behind the passenger. It's on the side of the seat, near the backrest. These are also cloth seats and I got the car used. Their is a small stain, I'm hoping coffee or other beverage, on another seat. Question is, should I get all new seats or just slap covers over them?

If all new seats, where does one get those? Should I stick with cloth? I'm sure the dealership did the best they could to clean that stain and I don't recall seeing the mold on the back seat when I first checked the car out, before buying.

If seat covers is recommended, how easy are they to put on? I've seen a lot saying side airbags won't operate properly and backseat covers require cutting after purchase, which I'd be worried about doing myself.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Adding covers over potential mold is the worst thing you could do. Essentially you will be providing the perfect breeding grounds for more mold to thrive there. Before even thinking of covers, you have to kill & clean all the mold 100%.

How sure are you that it's mold and not some other type of 'love' stains?

Maybe it's not even mold. Taking some pics and posting them here should help you getting better responses. Otherwise, the best thing we can do is to speculate based on incomplete info.

PS:
The side airbags are only for the front seats.
The back seats have curtain airbags, not related to the seats in any way, so no worries there.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 05-10-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member

Mold is the only thing I can think of this being. Very rarely ever have people in my car. Last time was maybe last year around Christmas.