2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this 2013 Honda Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Question Should I buy this 2013 Honda Fit?

Hi guys, possible a future honda fit owner here. I have a chance to buy a 2013 honda fit, automatic transmission, 40k, no accidents. 3rd owner. $9000 cash.(i'm not going to haggle if I decided to buy. since the seller is not some stranger) Only thing wrong is a dent in the back bumper. (also there's a hole above the exhaust, on the bumper, not sure what that is, but probably not big deal)
I am really having a hard time here, this car will be mainly driven by my wife. If I were the main driver, I'd prefer manual transmission.
She already has an older honda accord which has many dents and scratches but drives fine. So the question is if we should try to buy this, or just by a new honda fit, or consider something else? Any comments are appreciated!

Last edited by Shaun Yi Cheng; 06-05-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
the hole is for the tow hook. it looks like ur just missing the tow hook cover.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
the hole is for the tow hook. it looks like ur just missing the tow hook cover.
good to know.
Is it weird that it's not in the center? I wonder how can it stay balanced while towing.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
$9,000 is about right. IMHO, '13s were the best year for Fits. It's what I own.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by 2ndFit
$9,000 is about right. IMHO, '13s were the best year for Fits. It's what I own.
Good to know.
What makes 2013 the best year? is it because it was the last year for that generation and thus in theory honda should have ironed out all the defects?

Old 06-06-2018, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Exactly right.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 AM
A few years ago I had to spend $2k to rebuild the automatic transmission of my '02 accord v6. I read that many ppl had issues with the automatic transmissions in hondas. I assume faulty automatic transmissions is probably not a problem with honda fit? The only major problem I've read about honda fits are those spark plugs getting ejected while driving, damaging the cylinder head consequently.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
The car looks nice on the outside. It's same color as my 2013 Fit. Mine is 5 speed stick. These are good cars. If the person you are buying from took care of it, then it is a good deal. I have 62,000 on my Fit, no problems.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
If " this car will be mainly driven by my wife. " then it seems to me the key is whether your wife likes it.

I owned a 2010 Gen 2 Honda Fit and it I thought it was a great automobile.

40,000 miles on a 5 year old vehicle, is a low miles for it's age.

The red flag here is 3rd owner in 5 years. It hasn't been kept long by any owner.

Friend, family or acquaintance selling it, I'd still want a Carfax and as much information about it's maintenance history. See if there is some reason that might explain why nobody has kept this vehicle very long.

If it checks out? I think Honda got a LOT right with the Gen 2 Fit, it's a nice vehicle.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by Shaun Yi Cheng
A few years ago I had to spend $2k to rebuild the automatic transmission of my '02 accord v6. I read that many ppl had issues with the automatic transmissions in hondas. I assume faulty automatic transmissions is probably not a problem with honda fit? The only major problem I've read about honda fits are those spark plugs getting ejected while driving, damaging the cylinder head consequently.

The '15 CVT was recalled for a computer retune. I believe that there was too much stress on it causing the CVT band to fail.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:04 AM
9k and a dent in the back i would just put that 9k for a new one

Old 06-08-2018, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by GE82010
9k and a dent in the back i would just put that 9k for a new one
Any new cars in the USA cost more than 9k though. Did you mean look for another used car?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by fitchet
If " this car will be mainly driven by my wife. " then it seems to me the key is whether your wife likes it.

I owned a 2010 Gen 2 Honda Fit and it I thought it was a great automobile.

40,000 miles on a 5 year old vehicle, is a low miles for it's age.

The red flag here is 3rd owner in 5 years. It hasn't been kept long by any owner.

Friend, family or acquaintance selling it, I'd still want a Carfax and as much information about it's maintenance history. See if there is some reason that might explain why nobody has kept this vehicle very long.

If it checks out? I think Honda got a LOT right with the Gen 2 Fit, it's a nice vehicle.
The current owner is selling it because she is moving out of the country. I am not sure about the previous 2 owners. The carfax shows no accidents or flooding, it's clean. It also shows no oil change/maintenance, but I assume it was not done at the dealership.
We actually don't need another car now, but this car seems like a good deal that why we're thinking about getting it. My wife couldn't care less about driving, she is just want something easy to drive and reliable. She is the main target audience of toyota/honda. If I get a camry, corolla, etc, she would be equally happy.
She mentioned after she tested drove the fit, she said the rear seat headrest is blocking the rear view. On the positive side, she said the acceleration from stop seems to be faster than our v6 accord.(maybe it just feels that way? not sure how that can be true if measured scientifically.)

Old 06-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Action Jackson
The '15 CVT was recalled for a computer retune. I believe that there was too much stress on it causing the CVT band to fail.
I read that from 2015, fit is made in mexico. Maybe the quality control over there not as strict as the made in japan ones.
My current accord had transmission issues and I had to spend $2k+ to fix. If there will be problems with the transmission with the 2013 fit then I don't think I'll buy it.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
She mentioned after she tested drove the fit, she said the rear seat headrest is blocking the rear view.
I use to own a Gen 2...2010 Honda Fit, I now own a Gen 3 2016. But if I remember right both had the ability to adjust the rear headrests down even with the rear seat backs. Something I really like about the design.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I know I can do this with the 2016, and I seem to remember being able to do it with my 2010 as well.

As far as 3 owners in 5 years?
It may NOT be an issue. But I'm always alerted to "Red Flag" level if I notice a car has had multiple owners in a short period of time. Because the obvious question is "Why?".
But it can be nothing. Sometimes it is as simple as people moving out of country or other non-problem related realities. But I do feel that if a person likes a vehicle and has relatively no problems they usually keep them at least 2-3 years...so 3 owners in 5 years is something that would make me raise my eyebrows.
However if this last owner is selling it because of having to move out of the country, then I guess you could look at it as 2 owners in 5 years...not knowing why the previous 2 owners decided to move on.

My final review would be I really, really liked my Gen 2 Honda Fit. In many ways I think it was a superior vehicle to the Gen 3. I liked it's overall driving personality better.
So assuming the vehicle is in good shape, you'd be IMO buying a good vehicle.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
If you are worried about the AT, see if there's any lurching or big delays or clunks between gears. If not, change the AT fluid as soon as you get it and don't worry about it.. Any AT can fail, and Honda is not best in class for reliability, but they certainly don't fail left and right and 40k is low miles for the car.

My 2012 is excellent and would not worry about recommending it to anybody. I'd recommend it over the first years of the next gen, that is for sure.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
If you are worried about the AT, see if there's any lurching or big delays or clunks between gears. If not, change the AT fluid as soon as you get it and don't worry about it.. Any AT can fail, and Honda is not best in class for reliability, but they certainly don't fail left and right and 40k is low miles for the car.

My 2012 is excellent and would not worry about recommending it to anybody. I'd recommend it over the first years of the next gen, that is for sure.
Is it better to bring it to the dealer to change the AT fluid?
I actually didn't know I have to change it, I had never changed it in my honda accord.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
I use to own a Gen 2...2010 Honda Fit, I now own a Gen 3 2016. But if I remember right both had the ability to adjust the rear headrests down even with the rear seat backs. Something I really like about the design.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I know I can do this with the 2016, and I seem to remember being able to do it with my 2010 as well.

As far as 3 owners in 5 years?
It may NOT be an issue. But I'm always alerted to "Red Flag" level if I notice a car has had multiple owners in a short period of time. Because the obvious question is "Why?".
But it can be nothing. Sometimes it is as simple as people moving out of country or other non-problem related realities. But I do feel that if a person likes a vehicle and has relatively no problems they usually keep them at least 2-3 years...so 3 owners in 5 years is something that would make me raise my eyebrows.
However if this last owner is selling it because of having to move out of the country, then I guess you could look at it as 2 owners in 5 years...not knowing why the previous 2 owners decided to move on.

My final review would be I really, really liked my Gen 2 Honda Fit. In many ways I think it was a superior vehicle to the Gen 3. I liked it's overall driving personality better.
So assuming the vehicle is in good shape, you'd be IMO buying a good vehicle.
I agree, the most unreliable Japanese car I've own was a 2006 nissan sentra spec V that had 5 previous owners. It had so many problems. I believe nissan has the ability to make good cars, I was just unlucky. (and unwise to buy such a car to begin with)
I will likely buy this honda fit, since this model year was made in japan still.
Couple years down the road I may consider a mazda cx 5 diesel, if that turns out to be a good car.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll end up getting it. It may be next month until I actually get it but I'm looking forward to be a fit owner.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Is it better to bring it to the dealer to change the AT fluid?
I actually didn't know I have to change it, I had never changed it in my honda accord.
Well you can change the entire transmission if you want instead :P Yes AT fluid must be changed, there's a specification in the manual .. or maybe the in-dash Minder tells you when it's time, I forget. I change it more frequently than is needed, something like 25K miles between.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 2013 Honda Fit?