2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak under steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Leak under steering wheel

A bit perplexed at this today. I don’t know if this has been brewing for some time, but I found this under my tilt control on the steering wheel column in the inset, directly under the steering wheel. What do you guys think? I assure you, it’s not spilled soda or iced tea. It looks/has consistency of PS fluid. Car is a ‘10 Fit Sport 5MT w/ 85K. No obvious leaks anywhere else around the steering column, and I couldn’t trace this with a light looking up from under the dash.

edit: Not sure if image is uploading in attachments...

Last edited by Calcatchem; 09-19-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Pic ain’t working, lo siento
Old 09-19-2018, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Well the Fit has electric power steering so there is no fluid. It could be brake fluid but it would have left a trail and I have no idea how it would have gotten there.

Was service recently done to it? A splash of a drink could have ended up there.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
There is clutch system fluid (5MT) between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. There's a reservoir on the firewall inside the engine compartment. I'm not sure if it's possible but check that out.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Having seen the picture (now)... I think it's the lube from the telescopic adjustment.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:52 PM
Thank you everybody for the responses.

I swear I didn’t spill any soda or juice!! But really, I looked up from underneath the dash and I think Goobers is right because there is a layer of grease/goop/grime following the steering column up towards the wheel. I’ll snap a picture later to post up. I can’t find much searching on the forum here or Google, but found that this is common among 8th gen Civics.

Regardless, I made an appt to have the car checked out next week by the dealer as it still might be under a “used” warranty from when I purchased the car a few months ago. Otherwise, asymptomatic in terms of steering issues. If anybody else has seen this in their GE, I’m interested in what the issue is or if this is completely normal to have excess oil from that steering column leak out.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
I recently swapped my steering wheel and in the process noticed the same in that area. Mine was more like a caramel consistency, it dripped right on the adjustment lever so I got a messy surprise when I reached for it. Initially thought I spilled something on the steering wheel column like coffee that then hardened. But I think due to the high Texas temperatures, particularly during this summer, some sort of grease must have melted and dripped down.

When I had the steering wheel removed, I noticed no grease of any sort, so it must be from the steering column. Curious to see what you find out from the dealer.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:15 PM
Would like to say thanks to everyone for their input on the thread. Vanct nailed it. Went to the dealer today and spoke to the technician. Per the technician, he said it’s normal for this part of the steering wheel column to be ‘greased’. He said that he thinks it was a hot day and some of the grease liquified and dripped down into the dash plastic. More or less, monitor it and if any issues, the dealer would be happy to take a look at it again. I have no slop in steering or issues with adjusting the tilt.

These are pictures looking UP from the floor towards the roof. I’m not sure if the grease is supposed to be for the tilt mechanism or what; the tech didn’t give me much of an answer.

This first one is the tilt mechanism

This is zoomed in on the ‘greasy’ part.

Last edited by Calcatchem; 09-22-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
I've had to wipe up the EXACT same gunky mess every few months. It's not much, and easily cleaned up, sticky goo that looks just like spilled soda (but I never dumped anything there!) No residue in the driver's cupholder, that's the first place that'd get gunked up, as I do carry a drink there once in a while, but never dumped one down the steering column. Seems to occur more often when the car has been parked in broiling summer heat than in the cooler months of winter. Now I know. Probably a little over-eager lubrication inside the column joint during assembly.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
I know this is an old thread, but I also found the small amount of grease in the same exact area. It’s been extremely hot here. I also thought it might have been some kind of food that spilled and I also thought it felt like grease. You really can find just about anything on this forum. My mind is at ease now. Thanks for this thread, @Calcatchem and sharing the dealers explanation. Thank you to all who contributed as well.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:00 AM
I'm also chiming in here in 2022 to say thanks for this post! I have the exact same sticky fluid on my steering wheel tilt knob. This is the only thing I could find on google that 100% matched the issue.

Over the years, this forum has helped me a lot, but I finally got around to making an account to say thanks!

Old 08-26-2023, 11:42 AM
This thread helped me feel safer!

Just noticed goo under the steering wheel as others have noted. And it has been stupid hot here. Will still ask about it when I take the Fit in for some recall work but I feel less worried now.