2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Interior Door Panels

Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Interior Door Panels

Hi,

I want to remove the interior door panels ... So I can get inside the doors to do rust proofing.....

I like to spray cavity wax into the corners of the doors for rust prevention....

Can anyone enlighten me on how to pop these door (vinyl/plastic) panels off all the doors...

I will even do the rear hatch.......

Thanks, J

Old 12-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by justus
Hi,

I want to remove the interior door panels ... So I can get inside the doors to do rust proofing.....

I like to spray cavity wax into the corners of the doors for rust prevention....

Can anyone enlighten me on how to pop these door (vinyl/plastic) panels off all the doors...

I will even do the rear hatch.......

Thanks, J
i dont yield the best results searching within fitfreak..i have better luck going to google and entering my search along with fitfreak...ie. "fitfreak door panel"

hatch - shove a trim tool between panel and trunk and pry/pull.... i usually start at passenger lower edge and work my way to top, then around driver side and then bottom. i think the first time i might have just yanked the hell out of the top with no tool and it came down.

Front
Rear

Last edited by eulogy; 12-12-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by eulogy
i dont yield the best results searching within fitfreak..i have better luck going to google and entering my search along with fitfreak...ie. "fitfreak door panel"
Same here. Perhaps I am not utilizing the search feature properly, but it vexes me when certain words are excluded because of length.

For the door panel, a trim panel remover makes the process a bit easier but like eulogy stated it is not absolutely required. I had to pull hard enough where I thought the panel would break rather than come away from the door. It helps to pull the panel at a point near where the anchors hold the panel to the door.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:16 PM
This all helps!
Thanks a bunch...
I will give it a shot
for searching from google and using "fitfreak"

Thanks,J

Old 12-20-2018, 02:04 PM
J20
There's two screw. One for the door handle. The other inside arm rest. Pop off arm rest to get to second screw. Use a flat head with tape over, wedge in to pop out door.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Thanks! I will probably be tackling this sometime today.....

I will write something up if I need to on this

Old 12-25-2018, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
The video shown above is not for a GE Fit
There are only 2 screws on each door (not 3)..easy to find them.
Also..on the rear doors, the plastic 'sail panel' needs to be removed first. It's the triangular piece that covers part of the window. It just snaps on and off.

After you do one door...you will realize how easy Honda makes it to remove them.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:04 PM
That is good to know thanks.......

Yeah, I would like to spray inside the door some cavity wax.....
(over here in the rust belt region of the world)

Old 12-29-2018, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Be careful not to plug drain holes at the bottom of the doors. Small amounts of water (and salt) typically enter the inside of the doors to some degree and needs a way to get out.

Still I haven't seen rust through on cars built after the turn of the century. Yes, I do leave GA on occasion. Used to be cars would have holes in them in less than a couple years. Honda warrants against rust-through for 5 years. I'm inclined to trust whatever they come with from the factory.

Salt still plays hell with cars in other ways. When shopping for a used car, best to find one that lived in the south away from the coast. NC, GA, SC, cars are best. Sun crisps cars from farther south or west even if they aren't exposed to salt.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:42 PM
All good points....... said.......

The only thing these day s with southern cars..... Is whether or not they where in a flood.........(that is what I worry about)

I hae been using cavity wax... in the door panels... any excess runs out...... leaves room in the drain holes....