2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Weird noise from Upper Glove Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Weird noise from Upper Glove Box

Has anyone ever heard of their Fit making a percolator like sound from behind the upper glove box? It is very faint and almost sounds like a cd player that is seeking, but I just removed the cd player. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is this something I should have a mechanic check out? My car is an '09 base model GE8 Fit, 115,XXX miles, manual transmission.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:02 PM
mine has a baby bird chirp from the passenger side dash...that usually happens in cold weather going over random road imperfections. ive reached under the dash and tried wiggling different things to replicate the sound but cant track it down. i plan to go under there with my socket wrench and give every nut i see a tightening, as the sound is really annoying.

give a heads up if you track your noise down and ill do the same!

Old 12-12-2018, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
That is where the cabin air filter resides. For me, mice build nests on the filter and sometimes chew through it. If they make a hole through the filter, the HVAC system fan is right there and leaves, dirt, twine, sunflower seeds, etc can start banging around on the fan an produce noises. Take out the filter and if dirty / chewed on, get a new one. While it is out, slide your hand in the slot (MAKE SURE THE FAN IS OFF - TAKE THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION) and feel around on the fan blades for anything stuck on them. Before putting the filter back in, start he fan and listen for those noises. If all OK, put it back together. Test again. You'd be surprised at how much mice can do in a short period of time.

Let us know what you find.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:33 PM
^^^^^^ Holy hell thats nuts!!!

Originally Posted by eulogy
mine has a baby bird chirp from the passenger side dash...that usually happens in cold weather going over random road imperfections. ive reached under the dash and tried wiggling different things to replicate the sound but cant track it down. i plan to go under there with my socket wrench and give every nut i see a tightening, as the sound is really annoying.

give a heads up if you track your noise down and ill do the same!
ok, so a couple of weeks ago my blower motor resistor went out, leaving me with "off" and "4" available settings on my climate control....which is the result of a failing blower motor. i stuck my hand in the cavity where the blower motor filter resides, and attempted to spin the motor by hand since i have read threads that if its going bad it should be hard to turn. it spun seemingly normal, so i resoldered the resistor (without using any additional solder) to see if it would fail again. it did.

i ordered a new resistor and motor (ebay aftermarket items, $35 combined), but have been using my heater on high in the mean time. so yesterday when driving to work i got a few low sounding buzzes from the blower motor, which tells me it really is going bad. then after work, after i started my car and warmed it up a minute, sitting in the parking lot idling... i turned the heater on high speed and got about four consecutive "baby bird chirps"!

my plan was to try to tighten every bolt and nut i could under the dash when i change the blower motor out later this week, in an attempt to rid myself of the haunting intermittent chirping i have been experiencing the past 9 months. im convinced it has been the blower motor this whole time thanks to it chirping while i was parked last night. weird thing is it never chirped before while idling, it was always while i was driving so i was sure that it was a loose dashboard problem.

i should have the resistor and blower motor changed this week, ill confirm my findings here after driving for a few days.

Last edited by eulogy; 12-30-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: edited ..blower motor "resistor" to read "filter"
Old 01-03-2019, 09:59 PM
So i think the noise may have been my loose spark plug. I fixed that after a P0303 code this week and the noise disappeared. I had to HeliCoil the Cylinder 3 40k miles ago after a spark plug shot out and broke the coil pack. When i tightened the loose plug the noise went away. Thanks for the advice!