2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the "change oil soon" indicator really accurate ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
Is the "change oil soon" indicator really accurate ?

High five to this tight knit freak family..I had another query about the percentage indicator on my '12 Fit Sport. I got my first oil change since purchasing the car a year ago when the mileage was at 33.5K, it is now at 36.1K and the oil change percentage is at 30%, is this a very accurate guide to go by and what is the the lowest percentage one can wait for until one has to get the oil changed?
One other thing i was pondering..at the time i got the oil changed, i also got all my tires replaced new, i read somewhere that its best to rotate the tires every 3K miles, do you guys do this every 3K miles ?

Cheers
zero2hero

Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zero2Hero
High five to this tight knit freak family..I had another query about the percentage indicator on my '12 Fit Sport. I got my first oil change since purchasing the car a year ago when the mileage was at 33.5K, it is now at 36.1K and the oil change percentage is at 30%, is this a very accurate guide to go by and what is the the lowest percentage one can wait for until one has to get the oil changed?
One other thing i was pondering..at the time i got the oil changed, i also got all my tires replaced new, i read somewhere that its best to rotate the tires every 3K miles, do you guys do this every 3K miles ?

Cheers
zero2hero
I follow the MM and usually change it around 10-15%. You could wait till 0%, but why? Oil is cheap. Replacing the whole car 'cause your engine seized isn't. Obviously that would happen overnight, but you get the idea.

3k tire rotations seem excessive. On the GK, the tire rotations are from the MM and it was closer to 10k, but I thought that was too far. I'm doing 5K and was able to get about 40k on the oem tires. I've done over 25k on the new set, and they are about halfway used up (5-6/32nd the last time I used a gauge).

Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 AM
The MM attempts to factor in several driving conditions and behaviors to guess what the quality of the oil is. For example, my wife's MDX had an oil change performed at the same time I changed my Fit's oil. Her MM indicates 60% oil life left, as does the Fit. Her commute is stop and race (Los Angeles, where every stoplight is a race) for five miles each way. Mine is 30 miles each way, 90% freeway.

I change the oil at 15%, right when the indicator pops up. The main motivator for me is to remove that annoying reminder, every time the car is started, that the oil change is due.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
I think you should also set a mental reminder in case the electronic gizmo fails to warn you.

Personally I might consider 5k miles if I used a very high quality oil and had a gentle commute. Do some research based on the exact oil you buy and your usage scenario.

And I would also look at color, condition, and level of oil periodically and adjust accordingly; this tells you a lot and can help identify some problems before they get more serious.

Always change the filter with oil change. Use very high quality filters; the junk ones will not protect your engine nearly as well, oil flow may be compromised, and maybe have a different failure rate. Not worth saving $5 here. . .

Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys, my oil looks pretty decent right now at 30%. I think i will wait until the 10-15% mark.

Fiting- I plan on taking my Fit to one of those "oil changers", is one recommended more over another one of these outfits ?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:04 PM
but would you guys still change oil if car is driven less than 5k miles
even though mm says 0%. i know that mm takes into account how the car
is driven, but before cars came with mm and went by owners manual, most
oil changes were done at 7500 miles or more.
just saying.

thanks

Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sarasube
but would you guys still change oil if car is driven less than 5k miles
even though mm says 0%. i know that mm takes into account how the car
is driven, but before cars came with mm and went by owners manual, most
oil changes were done at 7500 miles or more.
just saying.

thanks
Older cars usually were 3k oci in my experience.

I'd still change the oil at least once a year even if it's low mileage.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
I think the MM is a bit conservative. Mine went from 15% to 10% in <100 miles.. that implies a 2K/oil mileage!

Rough rule of thumbs ...
Old cars every 3000 miles (think like 1970s)
General guidelines 5000 miles
Many OEMs or oil/filter brands claim 7500 miles or up

I'd be comfortable with the 7500 if you live in a mild climate and do a lot of longer trips. More towards the low end if you have short trips; 3-5K if it's hot, dusty etc.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Oh and as has been said don't save money on filters.

I just started buying 20k mile filters just in case it's super cold and I don't want to change it at some point.

But filters are so cheap vs the oil. That 20k Fram filter is $8!!

Old 02-08-2019, 09:25 PM
but my point is that on many cars in the last ten years and running on synthetic oil/
owners manual can say 7500 hundred miles or more for oil change.
just saying what makes honda with mmi different.

fujisawa, 2k oil change would be such a waste don' you think

thanks

Old 02-08-2019, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Around 10 years ago NYC Taxi drivers told me the garages changed oil at some outrageous rate, like every 2k miles (can't remember exactly miles but it was every few weeks). The drivers said the medallions were too expensive to have down time so the cabs were well maintained mechanically.

Those were principally the Ford Crown Vic V8 engines and were driven very hard 24/7 with a rotation of drivers.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for chipping in guys...

Fiting- changing the measly oil that early to save your bigger investment (taxi medallion) sounds like a prudent move to me..

Fujisawa - I live in Cali, drive short hauls, so i'm thinking between 3K-5K oil change for my Fit, my dipstick looks still a decent brown even at 30% right now. BTW what do you mean a 20K filter, does it really mean you dont need to replace the filter until after 20K on the oil ?

Old 02-09-2019, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
z2h I think that sounds like a logical interval too. I don't think you can tell much by the color, at least, I can't. 20K filter means the filter maker CLAIMS you don't need to change the filter until that mileage passes. You'd still have to change the oil at whatever interval the car or oil suggests. You can tell I am at least a little skeptical about that claim.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
I would be too..thanks fujisawa

Old 02-10-2019, 01:54 AM
They don't lose the medallion, just the use of the car for a short interval if it's out of service. That said, I doubt that any taxi company has done a scientifically-valid study of oil change interval vs. engine problems. Like taking vitamins, they probably just believe in cheap insurance, as an oil change costs then under $20 and takes little time.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
They don't lose the medallion, just the use of the car for a short interval if it's out of service.
Correct.

That said, I doubt that any taxi company has done a scientifically-valid study of oil change interval vs. engine problems.
Just a few families own virtually all the NYC taxi medallions and, at the time, just used one car model. So I think they had some excellent stats, albeit maybe not ultra formal.

Like taking vitamins, they probably just believe in cheap insurance, as an oil change costs then under $20 and takes little time.
For sure.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Stay away from the quick oil & lube places, do it yourself if not find a good Honda specialty shop or go to the dealer. Dealerships sell oil changes as a loss leader to get you in the door. The dealship will try and upsell to other recommended services that you may not need just stick to your required services in the owners manual . Quick lube places are famous for screwing up peoples cars , stripping drain plugs forgetting to put oil in, using cheap oil and filters. UpSelling you unnecessary transmission , coolant flushes that they don’t do correctly and will screw up your transmission & water pump. Except for Oil , never use any non Honda fluids : break, transmission, power steering or coolant in a Honda, They are formulated or the metals and plastics that Honda uses. It cost me about $35 to do an oil change correctly with high-quality synthetic and factory filter and crush washer, dealerships typically charge about $50 to do the same service, so for $15 more you have a trained person perform the service, that said how can a quick change place do it for the advertied $20 , the answer is they can’t , they’re going to make up the difference somewhere. I balance and rotate my tires at every oil change so between 5000 - 7000 miles, but I also have access to a shop with a lift and a hunter road force balancer( thanks uncle B).

Old 02-10-2019, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
road force balancing. Used to do em at my old shop. It runs a balance test for the wheel to identify the heavy spot. Then you match it to the little yellow/green dot on the sidewall of the tire which is the light spot. Then run the assembly and it requires much less counter balance, tape weights. I only do that for new tires.
rotation is pretty simple, for our cars the fronts see more wear than the rear. you can buy a cheap tread depth gauge if you want and measure between the tread across the width of it and see if they're wearing evenly. I'd rotate at a difference of 1/32.

as per usual I'm siding with fiting. Oil is complex. If you're using cheap stuff, I'd say 2k miles. If you're using good stuff I'd say 5 on average. Oh, and never buy into that mobil 1 annual oil. Please do avoid quick lube shops, I've two friends whose engines seized as a result of them crossthreading drainplugs. Good luck with that lawsuit.
I'm told that dealerships actually use whatever they have on tap that day and it varies, but I'd suggest checking with your dealer.

oh, n check out bel-rey dot 5 brake fluid. Doesnt last as long but has a really positive feel.

Last edited by Pyts; 02-10-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be sending in an oil sample to Blackstone once the family Pilot tells me to change the oil. Usually around 10k miles. I am curious how the oil holds up going by the cars minder. It has Honda Semi-Synthetic oil and Honda filter so it's as Honda wanted it to be.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JerrySFL
Stay away from the quick oil & lube places... Quick lube places are famous for screwing up peoples cars , stripping drain plugs forgetting to put oil in, using cheap oil and filters.
Or, in my case, forgetting to put the gear-oil additive in the differential oil in my wife's Cherokee. It started making a GRINDing noise when backing up, and I thought I was in for it. Took it to an actual mechanic and described the symptoms. "Did you just have the oil changed?," he asked. "If they didn't put the additive in, it will do exactly what you're describing. Won't do any damage, but go back and have them change it again right away -- WITH THE ADDITIVE!"I did so, and as advertised, it lasted another 15 years.The other mishap was on my Fit -- not mechanical, but they used the wrong kind of clips on the splash guard, and it was scraping on the ground whenever I went over a dip. I was about to take a road trip, needed an oil change, and -- although I should have known not to take it to a quickie place after the Jeep incident -- was short of time and figured I'd chance it.NEVER AGAIN!Urb

Quick Reply: Is the "change oil soon" indicator really accurate ?