2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What group battery does GE take?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Battery replacement looks like a real challenge. I went out with a ruler, and established that the plastic tray the battery sits in is 8 inches long and 4.5 inches wide. I checked my Honda S2000, which has a rather small battery, and it is 8.75 inches long and 4.75 inches wide. That's obviously too big. In the worst case, one can always buy a battery from a Honda dealer. I am sure there is an 'official' replacement battery available. The trouble is that the recent battery failures I have experienced were catastrophic. I had to run a battery charger in my garage, and then limp to a local tire/battery store. I will pray, and probably replace the battery at the 4 year point, even if it is good.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
The plastic tray is a non-issue. It can be deleted entirely, in which case, the maximum width becomes 5.5", and the maximum length from airbox to r/s headlight housing is 9.0". Keep in mind that the positive terminal fusebox adds 7/8" to the length, so the longest battery possible with the stock intake is 8.125" (or 8" to be safe).

I went ahead and returned the 51R because it was too long the accomodate the (+) terminal/fusebox. I actually connected to the (+) post with a 10" cable extending off the the end of the terminal, but there was no way to secure the fusebox except for cableties. If they were to break over time due to heat/cold/vibration, the fusebox could short out against various other metal pieces including the (-) terminal. The last thing I want to do is fry my alternator or ECU.

At this point, I'll either go with the Braille 3121 or replace the intake to make room for proper installation of the 51R. The PRM at $230 and a 51R at $57 seems like better bang for the buck than the Braille at $190, even though the Braille is a sealed battery and has 50 additional CCA than the 51R.

If I go with the PRM, I'll wait for the first couple of auto trans owners to install and give a thumbs up. Even if I go with the Braille, I may still go with the PRM if it proves worthy.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I know it doesn't do us any good right now, but I gotta believe that SOMEBODY will start making an aftermarket battery for the '09+ Fits. It took a while, but the Miata got an aftermarket battery and it was more specialized than the Fit's. With the number of Fits that will be on the road in a couple/few years, I'd be shocked if nobody starts offering the correct size. Hopefully it will offer more CCA, but I'd be happy just to have an option other than OEM when replacement time comes.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know why I am worrying so much at this point. We've only had the car for a month, and battery replacement is quite far off. I think I will go back to worrying about the stock market, and forget about the battery.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
For anyone still interested, I went ahead and bought the Braille 3121 for $181 shipped (from Hoerr Racing). Battery arrived in three days.

Aside from height, the dimensions are nearly identical to OE. Thus, I was able to use the original battery tray and hold-down. The J-bolt nearest the battery posts didn't have enough threads due to the reduced height, but I simply slid a 1/4" 10mm socket through the bolt where it pertruded over the hold-down bracket, and that gave me the the thread I needed to run down the hexnut. The forward j-bolt had plenty of thread. The (+) terminal fusebox fit perfectly. The install looks clean, even with the socket used as a spacer. I simply could have ordered 6" j-bolts from Braille, but it proved unnecessary.

The battery works well, and the cranks (even on chilly mornings) are noticably quicker. They test every battery individually, and mine measures 645 CCA vs the advertised 550 CCA. If it lasts a couple of years, I'll consider it money well spent, even with the outrageous price tag.

I know some of you guys don't see the point, and that's OK. I'm just happy to be rid of the lawn mower battery in my car. I'm sure in time, somebody will offer an aftermarket replacement for our batteries at a more reasonable cost. I just didn't want to wait.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by txmatt
I know it doesn't do us any good right now, but I gotta believe that SOMEBODY will start making an aftermarket battery for the '09+ Fits. It took a while, but the Miata got an aftermarket battery and it was more specialized than the Fit's. With the number of Fits that will be on the road in a couple/few years, I'd be shocked if nobody starts offering the correct size. Hopefully it will offer more CCA, but I'd be happy just to have an option other than OEM when replacement time comes.
I would assume this also, especially considering all those people going with aftermarket audio systems in need of the boost.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Are the posts too high on the Braille that they might interfere with a strut bar and aftermarket battery terminals? I need a new engine battery by Friday. This will be #3 including the original. The car has low mileage on it. There just isn't enough reserve capacitance in these Mickey Mouse cubicles.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radareclipse
Are the posts too high on the Braille that they might interfere with a strut bar and aftermarket battery terminals? I need a new engine battery by Friday. This will be #3 including the original. The car has low mileage on it. There just isn't enough reserve capacitance in these Mickey Mouse cubicles.
No, because the Braille sits an inch or so lower than the OE battery; thus, the terminals on the Braille also sit lower than the OE terminals by that same amount.

If you order straight from Braille, you might want to get the 6" J-hooks, as the OE hook closest to the firewall isn't threaded far enough down to tighten the hexnut. I simply slid a 10" mm 1/4" socket down the hook over the tiedown and that brought me back up to the threads so I could tighten the nut with no play at all. Ordering the 6" J-hooks would solve the problem also, and probably would look cleaner. The socket I used was not chromed, so it's difficult to spot unless you know it's there.

Good luck with the Braille if you go with that. It'll crank your car with a lot more authority than the original, but it's pretty expensive.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by badself
No, because the Braille sits an inch or so lower than the OE battery; thus, the terminals on the Braille also sit lower than the OE terminals by that same amount.

If you order straight from Braille, you might want to get the 6" J-hooks, as the OE hook closest to the firewall isn't threaded far enough down to tighten the hexnut. I simply slid a 10" mm 1/4" socket down the hook over the tiedown and that brought me back up to the threads so I could tighten the nut with no play at all. Ordering the 6" J-hooks would solve the problem also, and probably would look cleaner. The socket I used was not chromed, so it's difficult to spot unless you know it's there.

Good luck with the Braille if you go with that. It'll crank your car with a lot more authority than the original, but it's pretty expensive.
Do you have time to post a picture of your new batt setup?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
can you explain why you're on your 3rd battery with the new GE8 and low mileage? There seems to be something wrong like an alternator or something in your car. Or did you run the batteries down by leaving the lights on or something?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
so far this same military spec Odyssey PC 680 has been in my Nissan Maxima (yes it started the 3.5 liter V6 just fine even in Chicago cold winters) then went in my GD3 and now in my GE8

Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
so far this same military spec Odyssey PC 680 has been in my Nissan Maxima (yes it started the 3.5 liter V6 just fine even in Chicago cold winters) then went in my GD3 and now in my GE8

Sweet! Those Odyssey/Hawker batteries are really nice. They're kinda weird sizes, but since they can be mounted in any orientation, I had thought that when it comes time to replace my Fit battery, I might see if two of them, connected in parallel for more amp-hours, could be placed side by side, stacked, or in some other configuration, made to fit in there.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
That's the same battery that Stinger uses. I have four of those paralleled in the back of my car for my system. I will be on my third front battery because the car doesn't get used enough. It's a 2007, 7k miles. I do remote start it often, and charge it from time to time. I have an Ohio Generator brand alternator. The computer limits its output, especially when you aren't driving it at higher RPMs on the highway. I just ordered a Westco battery that is made for the Mazda Miata. I've used their batteries before under the SVR brand and they are usually pretty stout. This is with the stock battery:

Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Kinetik - High Current Car Audio Power Cells

Kinetik HC800 battery works well!! Well you have to do a few mod to the terminals though, since the post is on the wrong side.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by badself
I've continued to research batteries for the Fit. The Braille is uber-expensive, and I've read several reports of early failures. Some say the Braille is a rebadged Deka. However, Deka does not offer this size and amperage.

The Braille is a sealed "AGM" battery than can be installed in any position, as opposed to a standard "flooded" battery. In 1990, Mazda started installing a glass mat battery in their Miata, and the dimensions are nearly identical to the Fit battery (7.5L x 5.0W x 7.0H). The original was Panasonic, is no longer available, and has been anecdotally reported to last 10+ years.

There are a few glass mat batteries out there for the Miata, the main one (linked below) can be had for about $108 delivered:

Westco Miata Battery

Though not 550 CCA like the Braille, the Westco (and another built by American battery) are 475 CCA, which is still a decent improvement over our factory batteries, and should fit in our cars without modification of the battery tray/holddown.

These batteries have two vents that are supposed to vent electrolyte in the event that the battery is overcharged (even though it's a sealed design). In the Miata, they are connected to hoses that can vent to the outside of the car. These vents should be inconsequential for our purposes, and are not supposed to discharge under normal use. Barring something new soon, I'll probably go this route.
I am curious as to how the Miata battery worked. I have a 1992 Miata and a 2007 Fit. The Fit is showing signs that the battery is about to die. My current Miata battery is ten years old and my Fit is only three years old. I would like to replace the battery with one that will last ten years - not three years.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 PM
holy mother of batman...

you just risen one from the dead!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Miata Battery

I can vouch for the longevity of the Miata battery. I have a '92 Miata and replaced the original battery in 2000 and I am still using it (11 years). I replaced it with the Mazda replacement battery.

Last winter I was having trouble with my Fit battery and after reading these forums, I decided to order the Miata Westco replacement battery for my Fit. By the time it arrived, the battery was no longer giving me trouble and the dealership said there was nothing wrong with my battery.

Last night, I came home and tried to leave about 15 minutes later and my Fit would not start. I turned the key and it tried to crank for a split second and then died. When I turned the key I would only get a few dim lights on the dashboard. I was able to jump start the car with Westco battery that had been sitting in storage for the past seven months.

Now, I am trying to install that battery in my Fit. Since the top of the Westco battery isn't flat, I am unable to connect the positive cable (two cables come together in a rather large wiring harness. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to make this work?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone looking for a great battery that is a direct fit look into an XS Power D975...Fits perfect and is WAYYY better than stock