2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded HIDS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 PM
The dreaded HIDS!!!!

Hey guys...new to the forum. Just wanted to say Hi.
Well did my first mod to the car and I know it will start a flame war but I bought V-HIDS 35W 5000K BI-Xenon hid kit. Took me about 1 hour to install...another hour to figure out where to mount the ballast...then another hour to align. I finally got it perfect. My other car has oem projector hids so I know where the cut off should be in regards to other cars on the road. I carefully adjusted the lights down then slowly moved them up after each test. I swear I adjusted these things about 8 times to get them perfect. I drove around for another hour seeing if anyone flashed me and seeing if I glared in their eyes at all as they passed...nobody even gave me a second look. Here is a pic of my hids half installed. Driver side is HID and the passenger side is the stock halogen.

Mind you the HID looks slightly higher..I adjusted it down more after this pic.

Here is a pic after I adjusted for the final time. The light output is so much better than my halogens. I chose the plain 5000K light so it would be the optimum kelvin temp to see the best at night. If you notice I used my A4 to test for glare.

The high beams are awesome...lights up the entire road. Feels like I'm driving in daylight. I wish I got a picture but I forgot. Next time.

Thanks for reading...

Last edited by Fitatstic; 04-06-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Fitatstic
Hey guys...new to the forum. Just wanted to say Hi.
Well did my first mod to the car and I know it will start a flame war but I bought V-HIDS 35W 5000K BI-Xenon hid kit. Took me about 1 hour to install...another hour to figure out where to mount the ballast...then another hour to align. I finally got it perfect. My other car has oem projector hids so I know where the cut off should be in regards to other cars on the road. I carefully adjusted the lights down then slowly moved them up after each test. I swear I adjusted these things about 8 times to get them perfect. I drove around for another hour seeing if anyone flashed me and seeing if I glared in their eyes at all as they passed...nobody even gave me a second look. Here is a pic of my hids half installed. Driver side is HID and the passenger side is the stock halogen.

Mind you the HID looks slightly higher..I adjusted it down more after this pic.

Here is a pic after I adjusted for the final time. The light output is so much better than my halogens. I chose the plain 5000K light so it would be the optimum kelvin temp to see the best at night. If you notice I used my A4 to test for glare.

The high beams are awesome...lights up the entire road. Feels like I'm driving in daylight. I wish I got a picture but I forgot. Next time.

Thanks for reading...
holy crap i didn't know we can adjust the headlight on our GEs' how do you do it?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EvoFit
holy crap i didn't know we can adjust the headlight on our GEs' how do you do it?
There is a small screw on the housing that you have to turn. One way for up the other for down. There is a little diagram next to the screw with a U in one direction and a D in the other. Can't remember the exact directions, but it makes a huge difference compared to the stock aim.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:56 PM
^^^ Exactly... Righty (tighty) adjust them up.... Lefty (Loosy) adjust them down.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ Exactly... Righty (tighty) adjust them up.... Lefty (Loosy) adjust them down.
I really like your set up. I need to go to the HID projectors, I just don't have the $$ at the moment so I'll stick with my high performance halogens *cough* shit *cough*

Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
how much you pay for your bi-xenon hids? or where did you get them from?
i to will eventually retrofit once the time is right, i retroed my prelude and loved them.
any pics of where you mounted? why did it take an hour?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jamy
I really like your set up. I need to go to the HID projectors, I just don't have the $$ at the moment so I'll stick with my high performance halogens *cough* shit *cough*
Yea I love projectors but I know from past cars if you adjust HIDs properly you can achieve close to the same results as long as they are bi-xenon with the proper shield. No arguement here projectors are #1. This is my cheap car...I don't want to spend alot on it...but I do want to be able to see at night. I'm old...and my eyes are weak. This helps tremendously.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cfran55
i to will eventually retrofit once the time is right, i retroed my prelude and loved them.
Im guessing he got them here. V-HIDS 35W SLIM BALLAST XENON HIGH/LOW KIT H4

Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 AM
V-hids.com
V-HIDS 35W SLIM BALLAST XENON HIGH/LOW KIT H4
use "NOLIMIT" as a coupon code.

Sorry no pics of my ballast. I mounted one to the right of the windshield washer container and the other side is mounted right in front of the battery to the frame. It took me an hour because the mounting screws were hard to get to and the fit engine compartment is small as F***....ha.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
V-hids.com
V-HIDS 35W SLIM BALLAST XENON HIGH/LOW KIT H4
use "NOLIMIT" as a coupon code.

Sorry no pics of my ballast. I mounted one to the right of the windshield washer container and the other side is mounted right in front of the battery to the frame. It took me an hour because the mounting screws were hard to get to and the fit engine compartment is small as F***....ha.

Yeah it is way too small. I feel like a giant working on or in the damn thing and I'm 5'5"...

Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah it is way too small. I feel like a giant working on or in the damn thing and I'm 5'5"...
Ha Ha Ha. Engine area is small but the interior is huge. I guess I can't complain too much. Its big where it counts........ (yes, that's what she said)

Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
Ha Ha Ha. Engine area is small but the interior is huge. I guess I can't complain too much. Its big where it counts........ (yes, that's what she said)
Oh yeah the interior is huge! Until you're trying to work under the dash and run wiring under the side panels that you cant get your spade like hands underneath to pull up. Now the back seats folded on the levee with a blanket and a nice girl Space and suspension is a AHMAZING!! lol

Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
dang i have to order a set now! how about the drls? did you disable them?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Cool white leds!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:03 AM
yep...I pulled fuse #15 (if I remember correctly)

Old 04-07-2011, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
I need to try this.... thanks

Old 04-08-2011, 12:55 AM
just a quick video of my test drive...

YouTube - V-HIDS 35W 5000K HID

Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
just a quick video of my test drive...

YouTube - V-HIDS 35W 5000K HID
Definitely look good.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Definitely look good.
Thanks!
Its nice being able to see at night again.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Not to flame or thread cap, since I also ran with a PNP (plug and play) kit for almost 6 months, but just wanted to offer information for those that are willing to spend a little more and get much better lighting on a GE.

My retro didn't take near as long since I already had all the wiring in place from my PNP kit.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-mini-d2s.html

Great resource;
HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum - The Buzz

Quick Reply: The dreaded HIDS!!!!