Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

GE8 Honda Fit with Mori Mini D2S

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
GE8 Honda Fit with Mori Mini D2S

Overall the retrofit was not bad. The only thing that sucks is that on the driver side there seems to be crud on the inside of the plastic lens, meaning the only way to clean is the take the lens back off.

The two pictures compare beam patterns and the camera was on the same setting.

P.S. - Don't forget to take back out the cardboard from the oven when warming back up. It makes the house stinks for days when it catches on fire!

Thanks TRS for the awesome service and great product. Finally a retrofit for H4's that doesn't require hacking!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Nice dude! I should be getting mine from TRS later this week. I can't wait!

I'm digging the Apollo shroud choice you got. I saw a GE w/ the gatling guns and it didn't look right. I bought the oculars for my GD as a backup if my custom dog bowls don't work out. How much aiming did you have to do after the "screw in"?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Looks very nice! Hoping to do these once I finish the sound system.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Nice dude! I should be getting mine from TRS later this week. I can't wait!

I'm digging the Apollo shroud choice you got. I saw a GE w/ the gatling guns and it didn't look right. I bought the oculars for my GD as a backup if my custom dog bowls don't work out. How much aiming did you have to do after the "screw in"?

Rotational aiming wise, not much, rather none on the TRS Mini with H4 adapter. This is good and bad, with the adapter it is slightly off on the passenger side because the adapter ring locks into place using the H4 bulb slots.

I decided to not mess with it since it is only slightly rotated up towards the passenger side (counter clockwise 1-2 degrees looking through the windshield) where it doesn't effect real world driving. Only those wall photo shots.

Of course vertical adjustments need to be made.

Last edited by IN2TURBOS; 03-14-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
This looks AWESOME

Do you have the link to where you bought them?

Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IN2TURBOS
Rotational aiming wise, not much, rather none on the TRS Mini with H4 adapter. This is good and bad, with the adapter it is slightly off on the passenger side because the adapter ring locks into place using the H4 bulb slots.

I decided to not mess with it since it is only slightly rotated up towards the passenger side (counter clockwise 5 degrees looking through the windshield) where it doesn't effect real world driving. Only those wall photo shots.

Of course vertical adjustments need to be made.
Thanks for the heads up. That's good to know. I'm super OCD about little things like that so if it happened in my case I'd probably try to find a fix for it, lol. Can you get a pic of a wall cutoff?

How do you like the performance vs. your old setup. Looks like you now have some 4300K's D2S's vs. 8K HID's in your last setup?

Originally Posted by Klasse Act
This looks AWESOME

Do you have the link to where you bought them?
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

Last edited by Super Mario; 03-14-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM
gym
Very nice I went with the MH1, my bulbs are on back order should ship tomorrow... Big ups for ditching the PNP glare kit!!!! Did you use morimoto D2s or 81522 +

Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
As promised beam shots.

After looking at beams further I think the rotation issue is exaggerated due to the downward slopping cutoff on the left side.

I am running DDM Tuning D2S (35W), but I think I might switch to 81522+ to increase brightness.

If you also notice the last pic is compared to a stock 350Z. The underexposed picture show the difference in brightness of the factory Z, but mini's are still not bad for being so cheap.

Last edited by IN2TURBOS; 03-14-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
I've been buying products from TRS for the last 3 years now and would recommend them to anyone. Quality parts, great prices, and good customer service.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up. That's good to know. I'm super OCD about little things like that so if it happened in my case I'd probably try to find a fix for it, lol. Can you get a pic of a wall cutoff?

How do you like the performance vs. your old setup. Looks like you now have some 4300K's D2S's vs. 8K HID's in your last setup?

The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

Actually, the old PNP kit was suppose to be 4500K but yeah, I think DDM missed up because no way they were 4500k. After adjusting a bit more I like the Mini Mori's much better. The light is smooth and covered evenly. The best part is that now I no longer blind people. I was always embarrassed to drive around and light up the roof lining of people's car in front of me.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Better pictures on here than HID Forum

Debating on switching to Apollo shrouds now for the wide rear coverage in housing. Is it floating and not touching the rear?

Matt at TRS is awesome. Bought from them for the past 3 years starting with a retro on my 8 gen Civic. I'd recommend them for retro parts.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
Great quality pics. In this photo below, which is supposed to be the "correct" side? The left drivers side doesn't look right to me due to the slope... The right side looks more favorable since it's a higher even beam, but it does slope upwards at the end.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Great quality pics. In this photo below, which is supposed to be the "correct" side? The left drivers side doesn't look right to me due to the slope... The right side looks more favorable since it's a higher even beam, but it does slope upwards at the end.

That is how the projectors are supposed to be! The right is higher so it lights up the side of the road and to light up signs etc... It's known as a "step". The left side is lower as to not blind oncoming motorists! In Japan,UK the projectors are opposite from the ones pictured since they drive on the opposite side of the road!

Last edited by ej96hatch; 03-15-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have any pictures during the process of your retrofit? Did you have to cut any part of the headlight to fit these into the stock housing?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ej96hatch
That is how the projectors are supposed to be! The right is higher so it lights up the side of the road and to light up signs etc... It's known as a "step". The left side is lower as to not blind oncoming motorists! In Japan,UK the projectors are opposite from the ones pictured since they drive on the opposite side of the road!
I know that much. But here's where I'm talking about. I guess some "sloping" is normal, but the left side looks a bit exaggerated. I'll let you guys know how mine turn out when I get them later this week.

Compare to the MiniD2S cutoff from the HIDplanet thread below.

Bi-Xenon Output Comparison: TL, E55, Murano, FX, IS, e46,LR3

Name:  b3ZPt.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  18.5 KB

Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Looks to be doing the same thing to me just not as much! It could be the way the clear part of the housing on the ge8 is shaped that's causing it to bend the cutoff thus making it appear different from the photos on hidplanet.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
The rotation does seem to be a little off. I have the h1 morimotos and I had to tweak the cutoff shield to achieve perfection.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Nice job. Another fellow Fit owner who converted to projectors. I did a write up for the GD3. It should be the same for the most part installing the projectors. No cutting necessary unless its the shroud. Other wise everything fits perfectly and you just need to aim the lights up. I added some slim washers which gave me a little more color at the cut off. Best easy upgrade you can do to your headlights without getting the projectors which fall short in output. I do have to let everyone know that the projectors are skewed a little bit. I didn't notice it until I put everything on my car and closed up everything. But its only 1-2 degrees off. If your anal about it you can grind a sliver off the H4 adaptor to rotate it correctly.

My cut off
Name:  Output.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  43.9 KB
Name:  Finaloutcome7.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  44.6 KB

Last edited by danger69; 03-15-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
The Apollo shroud does float but it is not noticeable unless one looks for it or possibly unless one is thinking about painting the reflector black. Also the shroud is large enough so none of the projector is showing.

I think the sloping is caused by the highlight cover like someone pointed out. The pictures of the other persons Mini's seems to be not installed in a car. The driver side project cutoff is dead straight in the middle, only the passenger side one is off a little.

On a side note, I ordered some Osram 66240 from TRS.com so I will get pics comparing the output to the 4500K DDM Tuning D2S's.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
Wow! I just installed the Osram 66240's and what huge difference! Now there is so much more light. The DDM Tuning bulb was obviously not set correctly to have the best hot spot position. One can see in the underexposed shot where the hot spot of the DDM tuning bulb is no where near the optimum position in the middle and around the cutoff. Left - Osram 66240, Right - DDM Tuning (Both bulbs have less that 24 hours of burn time)

Last edited by IN2TURBOS; 03-20-2011 at 03:08 AM.

Quick Reply: GE8 Honda Fit with Mori Mini D2S