2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

clip removal tool

Old 09-13-2008, 01:04 PM
clip removal tool

Just bought a 2009 Sport, want to install the sport grill myself (purchased from Bernardi).
Can ANYONE explain to me what (if any) tool exists to remove the clips commonly found in these foreign cars. It's the clip type that resembles an in-wall anchor, where there is a sleeve and a peg/pin? inside the sleeve which pushes intothe sleeve flush and holds the component in place.
Please dont tell me to use a flathead screwdriver, I did that on my Altima and ruined more clips than I removed. The screwdriver is not the appropriate tool, I want the one body shops use, it must exist.

thanks, I did search the forum extensively for an answer, and this is my first post!!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:12 PM
well, i suppose you could use some variation of needle nose pliers, but i am pretty sure everyone on here uses a flat head. maybe you should just be more careful to avoid ruining clips.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Please dont tell me to use a flathead screwdriver

Some clips come out easier than others, if you use a flathead, you do more damage than good.

Who knows of 'the tool' please?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Go to a body shop and ask them!
(I want the one body shops use, it must exist.)

Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, that was easy. I am embarrassed.

I am going to pick up my '09 FIT Tuesday, I'll just stroll on over to the service department.

Thanks for helping me see the light, guys!!!

Glad to be a member and when I DO procure the tool, I'll be sure to post it.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned
I am waiting for your information when you get it, but won't be buying whatever it is.. I have removed many of the clips on my '07 Sport with, wait, wait, yes! a flat blade screwdriver that is small enough (jeweller's or electronics- sized) to insert in the little notch molded into the outer ring of the washer surface of the "sleeve". I heated the small screwdriver in a vise and bent it to a 45 degree angle. If you buy a really cheap set of small screwdrivers, you will be able to bend it without heat. Anyway, I just slip the blade under the center "pin" head, and rock the body of the screwdriver down against the surface of whatever body part the clip is holding, and the pin slides right up and out.

When you consider the design of the clips, there cannot be a special tool that is very much different in design and function than my small screwdriver that is bent to provide easy insertion under the pin, and easy levering to pry the pin out. The only other workable design that I can imagine is maybe a plier type tool where the jaws are thin and narrow with the tips bent inward toward each other at 90 degrees. I imagine sliding the tips down into the notches of the sleeve head, squeezing the handles to grab the underside of the pin head, and pulling the pin to remove it. If that exists, it will cost a lot more than the equally effective, small, flat blade screwdriver. Your choice.

Just remember that not all clips on Honda Fits require prying out the pin. The clips that hold the interior center console have tiny pins in the center that must be pressed in with a sharp punch. If you try to pry those clips, they break, and one ff.net member said that his dealership parts dept. charged him $5.00 each for replacement clips.

Last edited by manxman; 09-13-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Talking I Can Help!

Haha, i'm a tech in a shop that mostly works on euro cars but we also service honda/acura and toyota/lexus. There IS such a tool. I had to special order it from the MAC truck (specifically to work on my Fit). It is not a MAC brand tool, it is a KD tool. I will get the product # on monday when i get to work!

And yes, it works like charm. Two screwdrivers usually break the pin.
It costs around $20. I say worth it.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
If you try to pry those clips, they break, and one ff.net member said that his dealership parts dept. charged him $5.00 each for replacement clips.
This is true. I called honda to get a quote on some extras... and $5 a pop was the reply.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Voi la

so a quick search rendered this!

KD Tools KD3729 Push Pin Pliers

Old 09-14-2008, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member