2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

DIY: progress rear sway bar install

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Great write-up. Thanks! I just put mine on this morning. I ordered it from Club RSX with no problems. There is definitely a difference in the handling. I haven't been able to test it too much, but so far very nice improvement. I put this on my last car, and I am just as impressed this time. Good bang for the buck.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:57 AM
Just installed mine the other day. It's been pretty snowy here the past week so not too many chances to test it out. I did do some spirited driving the other day around some twisties at about 50 mph and I could definitely tell the rear is much more planted around turns. Can't wait to take it on a entrance ramp when the roads clear up. Very impressed so far.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 12-31-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Sweet...thanks for all of the information on this thread. I will be getting this in the future. Had the CTR sway on my EP and it was awesome. Can't wait to get the progress one on my fit.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure I understand the benefit of this "sway bar." There is no linkage to the body. Isn't it really an anti-roll bar? Doesn't it work just by stiffening the torsion beam? By doing so isn't this partially negating the benefit of semi-independent rear suspension? Won't this increase the likelihood of lifting one of the rear wheels in a turn?

At least call it an anti-roll bar.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
A bit of an update. I took about a 2hr drive today down to our friends on the highway and notice a very solid more controlled entrance on the freeways. The wife even noticed the sharper more powerful turn and she doesn't usually notice anything like that.

Steve244: Yes you are correct. But when the rear wheel lifts it puts better traction on the remaining three and reduces body roll greatly.
Here is a good description for you.
"Sway bars (sometimes called anti-roll bars or stabilizer bars) reduce body roll. They do this by linking the two sides of the car – either at the front or at the rear. In the case of a rear sway bar, the roll of the car is resisted by the torsional (twisting) action of the sway bar that attempts to lift the inside rear wheel. In other words, a sway bar is effectively an extra spring that connects the left and right wheels together at one end of the car.
In a front-wheel drive car, fitting the sway bar to the rear keeps the cornering weight distribution on the front wheels more even, allowing them to better get their power down and so reducing power-understeer."

Browser Warning

Last edited by Committobefit08; 01-01-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the response. In the OP's pictures I don't see anything that looks like a factory stabilizer bar. How is this accomplished on the Sport? Is it simply a stiffer torsion beam from the factory?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM
What is the size of the bar? 16 or 19mm?

Have been playing with the thickness of the bar and wonder impact on the torsion arm on long run.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Just installed mine the other day. It's been pretty snowy here the past week so not too many chances to test it out. I did do some spirited driving the other day around some twisties at about 50 mph and I could definitely tell the rear is much more planted around turns. Can't wait to take it on a entrance ramp when the roads clear up. Very impressed so far.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tuned-R
What is the size of the bar? 16 or 19mm?

Have been playing with the thickness of the bar and wonder impact on the torsion arm on long run.

Thanks
Refer to post #19 in this thread.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Hey fitfreaks,

I need some advice here...I have Konig Heliums with some pretty sticky tires..I've read that the Heliums are not the strongest wheel so I want to avoid as much tension on the wheels as I can, I'm already a little paranoid about running the sticky tires..So my question is, will a rear sway bar put that much extra strain on the wheels themselves? from what I understand about it I'm a little hesitant to get one, but freaking want it for the reduced body roll...

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by j_paul
Hey fitfreaks,

I need some advice here...I have Konig Heliums with some pretty sticky tires..I've read that the Heliums are not the strongest wheel so I want to avoid as much tension on the wheels as I can, I'm already a little paranoid about running the sticky tires..So my question is, will a rear sway bar put that much extra strain on the wheels themselves? from what I understand about it I'm a little hesitant to get one, but freaking want it for the reduced body roll...

Thanks!
Yes it links the rear suspension together more and slightly makes the ride rougher (I don't notice that big a difference though) but in my opinion don't think it would put that much difference on strain on the wheels themselves especially if your on stock springs. If you want to reduce body roll I would recommend lowering too. If money is no object coilover's would have a smoother ride compared to springs if your worried about wheel strain.
I'm no expert though just giving you my opinion.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 01-09-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Cool good to know. Right now I'm on Tanabe df210s, I'm thinking coilovers at some point down the road. Thanks for the input for sure! I'll prolly go for it unless someone here thinks it's a bad idea...
thanks again!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
So ride quality is the only trade off?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
So ride quality is the only trade off?
Like I said I didn't notice it that much but yes rear sways typically stiffen the ride up slightly. Other than that I personally don't know of any other negative.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Sway Bar

Hi, Mole177, any update on your sway bar mod i.e, how are you liking it? I am considering doing this mod, only 2 concerns are how much degradation in ride quality and any idea on Honda's attitude toward mods/warranty?

Thanks for the great post.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Like I said I didn't notice it that much but yes rear sways typically stiffen the ride up slightly. Other than that I personally don't know of any other negative.
wrong. swaybars SHOULDNT change the way your car travels down the freeway. what it DOES do is make the vehicle more planted in the corners. it shouldnt change the "ride quality" at all

Old 01-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Erik
$131 shipped at Club RSX.
How satisfied have you guys been with the Club RSX rear sway bar (those who chose it)

Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Clubrsx is just selling the sway bar for cheap. Its the same bar that everyone is installing. I've been running my sway bar for over 6 months now and their is no difference in ride quality for me but I also got a c-pillar and rear strut bar. Besides being more stiff in the back and handling much nicer than stock I would highly recommend it.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
wrong. swaybars SHOULDNT change the way your car travels down the freeway. what it DOES do is make the vehicle more planted in the corners. it shouldnt change the "ride quality" at all
While I agree with solbrothers 99.99% percent of the time, A stiffer rear bar/adding a sway bar can change ride quality. That torsion beam is surprisingly independent. Put a jack under a spring perch and you can see the beam twist.
Linking both sides together more would mean when hitting a bump on one side of the car..........

1. both rear wheels would react more, that would result in more transfer of impact to the body of the vehicle.

2. you would have more side to side "head toss"

It probably is not a huge comfort loss, but almost has to be a tiny bit at least and usually well worth the small sacrifice for better cornering.

Last edited by Tork; 01-29-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 AM
xm8
Which lowering springs will work with the progress bar? Which ones will not work?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Smile Just installed the Progress rear sway bar (Anti-Roll)

I installed the rear sway bar yesterday. Pretty easy once I had tools that fit the area there is to work in. The simple L shaped allen wrench worked well, socket type of allen (head) didn't fit, too long.

I must say the bar makes a significant difference i.e., less body roll, feels like all 4 tires keep a more planted contact patch.

Definitely recommend this product.

Quick Reply: DIY: progress rear sway bar install